• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuzu Koshou

Hiroyuki

I've recently fallen in love with yuzu koshou mixed up with really salty grilled salmon and stuffed into onigiri.

This has got me on a full-fledged yuzu koshou obsession: what's everyone else using their YK for lately?

When I am very hungry but have very little time, this dish saves the day! I poach a chicken thigh in water to cook the chicken and to make a broth. When the chicken is cooked through, I take it out, let it cool and then shred it with a fork. I add a bit of sake and soy sauce and the soup is done. In a separate pot, I boil some noodles, either udon or somen and after they are cooked and rinsed, I toss them into the soup, warm them back up a bit and then add the noodles and soup into a bowl. Top it with some green onion and the chicken and a healthy dallop of yuzu koshou. The yuzu koshou bumps up the flavor factor at least five fold and it really makes for an easy, healthy meal. You can buy yuzu koshou at the 100 yen shop so before I leave Japan, I am going to load my suitcase up with the stuff!!! I can't imagine being able to get it for that cheap outside of Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
Question for sk_ward:

Is it available at the Daiso stores in Kobe or Osaka?

I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with the stores out in that area. However, it's not a rare product or anything so I imagine that many 100 yen shops would carry it, in any part of the country. Good luck!

• 2 years later...

You can buy this product on Amazon. I recently discovered it because it's used in a recipe I want to try. It was not inexpensive, but I am hoping a little goes a long way. If mixed with soy sauce does it lose itself in the soy, blend well, or stand independently of the soy sauce?

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to share this. 4161988240cd8265eaaf.jpg

I made breakfast/lunch today. In making my my scrambled eggs, I decided to use Yuzu Koshou. I started with the pan with butter and spring onion. I added a touch Yuzu Koshou and a little honey to sweeten it with a little organic honey. I felt like a slightly sweet egg. The egg mixture was just 2 lg organic brown egg, salt, pepper, and touch of milk along with some spring onion and cheese crumbles. The eggs came out savory with a slightly peppery heat.