• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Split peas

jsolomon

What else do people do with them? Peas porridge hot and peas porridge cold?

??? For $.50 per pound, they're good and cheap, I just want a larger repertoire.

Happy eating,

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

There's nothing wrong with the soup. I just want more options...

Actually, the soup is currently helping me insinuate myself into a very neat lady's life, so the soup is A Good Thing. It's just if I'm going to consider keeping them as a staple, I want to be able to use them for more than just one dish.

Edit to fix pre-caffeinated poor verb conjugation.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

One time, I made a thick pea mixture into patties with finely diced ham and fried them. They were just ok. Notice I said "one time." :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hmm... sounds like I need to borrow my mom's big roaster and make soup for a year with a whole ham, 6 or 7 pounds of peas, and just freeze it afterward.

Might work. I'll keep that idea on the back burner for a summer cooking weekend project.

What I like to do with peas (preferable fresh) is puree them with a little roasted garlic, good evoo, lemon, salt, pepper, if so desired, truffles - and then put that pure as a bread dip...if you want to be really fancy shmancy, then put the puree in to zuchinni flowers, and fry them MMmMmmmMmm

Actually, I came up with a great soup that didn't use ham. I sauteed up the veggies, onions, and carrots, then cooked the split peas with chicken broth and some new potatoes, and then added tons of cooked chicken, and let that simmer a bit. I added a generous swirl of balsamic vinegar at the end, and it was surprisingly good! Next time I make it, I might add a chopped apple for some added sweetness, for some reason, I think it might work well. We'll see.

Pam