• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riedel's

JennyUptown

Can it be? A new restaurant has opened in the Van Ness area, that dining dessert??

I know it's hard to imagine, but a new spot has in fact opened in this 'hood. Even better: the restaurant seems to be a bona fide place to eat as opposed to the usual places with their empty seats (see Super Panda; see the former tenant in the Riedel's space, an Indian buffet).

The awning advertises "Seafood. Hickory Smoked Barbecue. Chops." As those living nearby will attest, the only smell one can pick up is of grease from the nearby KFC/Taco Bell, not burning hickory. Still, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

From the outside, the interior's appearance could be described either as clean and spare or non-descript and boring. They have put in nice hardwood floors, some booths and tables as well as a bar in the rear. Most times when I have walked by, I've seen a table or two occupied as well as anywhere from three to five seats at the bar. Riedel's has been open for less than two weeks so, to me, that's more promising than cause for concern (yet).

The menu posted in the window lists a range of items including pulled pork sandwiches, burgers, jumbalaya and the most expensive item on the menu, a New York strip steak ($22).

I have not yet dined at Riedel's, preferring to let the place get broken in at least a little, but plan to stop in soon. When I do, I'll enter with low expectations. It would be great to have a neighborhood spot to visit once in awhile, perhaps for a post-work beer or lunch with friends...but I'm just not ready to get my hopes up.

I don't want to get my hopes up but it would be nice to have a joint around the corner.  Especially on a night like tonight where a trek to Palena just seems too far!

Walk in with no hopes or expectations and you'll still wish you had gone to Palena. I really really wanted this place to be good. I wish I could give you one reason to go but I can't.

I had a half rack of the baby-back ribs and a side of cheese grits. At $10 this could be a great deal. But it's not. The ribs were dry, the rub added little flavor and the cheese grits were well, bad. They were served luke warm and I could almost taste the cheese. Almost.

I got to taste the baked beans and cole slaw as well as the Texas style ribs. The cole slaw just was not good, no other explanation. The beans tasted of wine, red I think, and they too were not worth it. The Texas style ribs were not moist and had little flavor.

The platters were served with four squeeze bottles with different bbq sauces. None are memorable and the only reason the Carolina sauce stood out was because it was a different color.

They have only been open for two weeks. Perhaps there is hope. But I am not holding my breath.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The warning sign for me might have been the fact that they advertise "Chops".

That almost always indicates the type of place that claims to specialize in "SteaksSeafoodChopsSaladsSoupsandPastas" and advertises on Sports radio stations.

Bill Russell

• 4 months later...

My ex and I picked up take out (for him, not me) the other night. It really was a comedy of errors - in the end, the burger was fine, but just about every ordering instruction was ignored and/or overlooked.

He is temporarily on this very serious, very strict low sodium diet. He caved and got the burger, but made some specific requests such as no tomato (high in sodium), no fries on the side (to avoid major temptation), etc. It seems silly, but he made the requests for a reason. Everyone we encountered at Riedel's seemed very nice, but ultimately clueless. Oh well.

On another Van Ness topic, does anyone have any information regarding what might take Passport's place?

Edited by JennyUptown (log)