• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pregnancy and Food

bavila

I lost my appetite toward the end too. Snacking worked but I just didnt want to eat "meals", particularly at the end of the day. Frequently there was a foot between the intake and outake parts of my gut and it was uncomfortable. (I was known to poke said foot with a finger til it relocated. The ensuing high-volume gurgle as the food flowed past the previous roadblock sent us into gales of laughter.)

I hope you managed to feed the family. Sounds like a night to send them out for a 'bonding' experience at the local drive-thru, to me.

My daughter asked for cheese and crackers, so I made her a little cheese and fruit plate and she was set. Her father hit the drive thru after football practice so my offer to make him something was turned down. I had a few crackers, a nibble of cheese, and some milk and called it a night.

I hope you managed to feed the family. Sounds like a night to send them out for a 'bonding' experience at the local drive-thru, to me.

My daughter asked for cheese and crackers, so I made her a little cheese and fruit plate and she was set. Her father hit the drive thru after football practice so my offer to make him something was turned down. I had a few crackers, a nibble of cheese, and some milk and called it a night.

And she SCORES!!!!! :biggrin:

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I shouldn't complain too much about the lack of appetite.  A close friend of mine, who is now in week 39, faces the opposite problem....she can't get enough, of EVERYTHING.  After a 8lb gain in just 1 week and tipping the scales 55lbs heavier than prepregnancy, she is starting to regret that daily packet of cameo cookies habit!!

:laugh:

I've read that excessive weight gain during pregnancy is not healthy for either the mom or the baby, but my mom gained 70 lbs. when she was pregnant with me! Not because she had any particular food cravings, but because she was quite slender (>100 lbs.) before pregnancy and my dad was afraid she would be too...er...delicate(?) to have a baby. So he cooked huge amounts of food everyday for my mom and my mom would force all that food down. One of the things he made very frequently were these huge hamburger patties that covered a 12" dinner plate, so she could get enough iron. (Of course, dinner came also included vegetables, rice, soup, etc.) My mom still can not eat a hamburger to this day because she gets kind of green whenever she sees ground beef.

Luckily, she had a great metabolism and lost all the weight without doing much exercise. She didn't have to diet, either.

(My dad relaxed a bit when my mom was pregnant with my sister and my brother and *only* cooked enough food everyday for her to gain 50 lbs. each! :raz: )

Edited by Ling (log)

I lost my appetite toward the end too. Snacking worked but I just didnt want to eat "meals", particularly at the end of the day. Frequently there was a foot between the intake and outake parts of my gut and it was uncomfortable. (I was known to poke said foot with a finger til it relocated. The ensuing high-volume gurgle as the food flowed past the previous roadblock sent us into gales of laughter.)

OMG. That's hilarious!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Bananas and yogurt early in the day. That's all I can tolerate. Crackers don't do it for me early...feels like eating sawdust. Once i've been awake for a few hours, i can handle real food, but the sweet smooth stuff is aces early on. And the yogurt is a plus because I feel like it sweetens and freshens my mouth; brushing my teeth can NOT happen too soon after waking, the gag reflex is ridiculously sensitive.

I work in an Italian restaurant with really good bread, and classic, crispy sesame breadsticks. Those I can nibble on all day when the queasies hit, which at this point (7-8 weeks) is CONSTANTLY.

Let's see...

Baby 1: I craved ice (I was low in iron) and vegetables. Couldn't drink coffee until after food in the morning. It literally tasted like ****.

Baby 2: Orange juice had to be available at all times. I only needed a mouthful but drove a 50km round trip to the closest shops once to get some. I could not eat chocolate and since I was newly pregnant at Easter time, my chocolate eggs and bunnies lasted a long time. Once again vegetables were the order of the day.

Baby 3: Nothing so far, although I gave the lamb chops a miss last night.

I hope my mum doesn't read this as we haven't told anyone yet. Just enjoying our first non IVF pregnancy after 10 years. :smile:

I hope my mum doesn't read this as we haven't told anyone yet.  Just enjoying our first non IVF pregnancy after 10 years. :smile:

Fabulous! I'm getting goosebumps. What a blessing, Cadbury. Wishing you an uneventful pregnancy and birth.

My pregnancies were so long ago, and my diet was very restricted during each. But I think I posted here or elsewhere about standing in a bakery and breathing deeply, to get over my jelly doughnut cravings.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 3 months later...
Let's see...

Baby 1: I craved ice (I was low in iron) and vegetables. Couldn't drink coffee until after food in the morning.  It literally tasted like ****.

Baby 2: Orange juice had to be available at all times.  I only needed a mouthful but drove a 50km round trip to the closest shops once to get some.  I could not eat chocolate and since I was newly pregnant at Easter time, my chocolate eggs and bunnies lasted a long time.  Once again vegetables were the order of the day.

Baby 3:  Nothing so far, although I gave the lamb chops a miss last night.

I hope my mum doesn't read this as we haven't told anyone yet.  Just enjoying our first non IVF pregnancy after 10 years. :smile:

Baby 3 has actually been the worst of all three pregnancies. I had trouble eating or drinking anything which contained sugar in any form (even milk), it all left a really awful taste in my mouth. Morning sickness was worse in the afternoon, but thankfully has gone now.

No cravings though - and being number three and 50km to the nearest shops, I don't think I would have been indulged with them anyhow!

• 2 years later...

Just saw this warning on the back of a South African wine bottle. Has anyone else seen this?

Mona 019.JPG

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.