• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermont Restaurants?

qristopher

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, so I need some help here...

I just arrived in White River Junction, Vermont, and I'll be here doing a show for 5 weeks. I live and work in Brooklyn, where I enjoy many a culinary experience (I work at Franny's...she's a friend of mine)

Where is there up here to eat that's worth while? I'm a total foodie, and definitely a oenophile, especially italian. I'm looking for anything that's interesting, or just plain good.

Thanks all! Glad to be part of it all!

qristoper :smile:

Here is a thread with a lot of restaurant advice for the vicinity (within driving distance):

egullet forum post

I might be dangerous (since this is only my third winter in the east and I've barely scraped the surface) but I would head towards the Killington area for dinner. Hemmingway's Hemingway's always gets good revues and there are many more. The Garlic and Choices are decent. There are several, more high-end places we enjoyed over several winter seasons but I cannot come up with their names.... I know there's more than Hemingway's! I think one was the restaurant at the lodge of "The Woods at Killington" Help!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 2 weeks later...

You're in a favorite part of the world to me, both for skiing and annually in the summer for the Fairlee triathlon (just a few exits north on I-91) -- here are a couple of favorite eating experiences:

1. Three Tomatoes Trattoria in Lebanon, NH -- really good basic Italian fare with a decent wine list, including quaffable house wine served in fun carafes. This is my hands-down favorite in that region.

2. The Fairlee Diner -- real and old-fashioned for a hearty breakfast, particularly on the weekend -- they open super-early -- the pancakes and home fries I've had (as well as the basic egg staples, etc.) have been consistently good.

3. Hanover (NH) Inn -- upscale dining experience I haven't had yet, but which has been recommended several times -- the town is great and very nearby. There is also a good, reliable basic pizza shop on the main street, but I can't remember its name (it's about 3-4 blocks down the street from the Dartmouth campus green), as well as a great local bakery/diner (Mel's??) just a few doors down from the Hanover Inn.

4. (American?) Flatbreads pizza at Lareau Farm -- this is a worthy destination drive on Rt 100 in Waitsfield, VT -- probably an hour or more away, but it's a beautiful drive if you take I-89 to Exit 3, then wind through Bethel, Roxbury, etc. to get there (don't try to cross the Roxbury Gap Rd in the winter unless you're brave with real AWD or better -- it's steep and unpaved). The authentic wood-fired oven pizza (and the rest of the food) is phenomenal, but they're only open on Fri-Sat for dinner and there is pretty much ALWAYS a long wait (no reservations), either in the small, crowded bar and/or outside around a bonfire. Waitsfield and Warren, VT (be sure to stop in the Warren Store) are great towns to visit, even if you're not a skier!

I hope you enjoy some of these options -- any off the beaten track recs from you for Brooklyn would be much-appreciated -- my best friend lives in Park Slope and lives to eat as I do!

Cheers!

Edited by robinlhunter (log)

Robinlhunter is correct avoid the moutain passes unless you are adept at winter driving. My experience is mostly in the western half of the state. Hemmingways near Killington has a great reputation, an approximately half hour summer drive. I have also heard Ariels in Brookfield is good. If you work your way on the interstate toward Montpelier you have the Farmers Diner in Barre, Sarducci's and Conoscenti in Montpelier. Warren won't be easy to get to but there you have Pitcher Inn and American Flatbread

Roxbury Gap, Lincoln Gap and Smugglers Notch are typically closed all winter. DO NOT ATTEMPT unless you are on skis and have a backpack full of Vermont Cheese...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Roxbury Gap is only closed if there is too much snow but I've taken the gap all the time in the middle of winter. APP Gap, and Lincoln Gap, will also only get closed if there is too much snow and ice, but for the most part they are open with the warning do not attempt without chains and 4 wheel drive. The skis and cheese idea is a good one.

if your used to eating food in brooklyn/nyc area, do not go to three tomatoes...... especially if franny's is your kinda place. i'm from nyc area, lived in vt for 2 full years. of all the dining experiences up there, i must say that three tomatoes was probably in my worst 5.... and that means a lot, as there really isn't a whole lot of good food up in vt.

you'll find the best food up there if your willing to spend the big bucks (for up there) and go to a place like shelburne farms or cafe shelburne or some other country inn/hotel type restaurant.... places like neci commons or other culinary institute restaurants really aren't that good by ny standards.

when dining in a restaurant or region where i know that the food may not be up to par, i usually try to order something "safe".... i.e. something that's really hard to mess up. so, at three tomatoes i ordered the chicken parm.. i was really wrong on that call. the dish i got wasn't even close to the usual breaded and pan fried chicken breast, w/ sauce and cheese (i didn't even really care that much about the type of sauce as long as there was mozzarella on it)....

in the end, the three tomatoes version was grilled chicken w/ swiss cheese over a bowl of tomato soup/sauce. this is no joke. it was probably the worst rendition of a simple dish that i've ever had.... anyways, enough of that. if you want good food in vt, try to find some out of the way bed and breakfast or country inn that is known for their food and plan a trip around dinner there. otherwise, don't expect too much of the food in vt.

could be worth checking out sites like hollyeats.com or roadfood.com for little out of the way shacks that may have some local specialty -- such as really good pancakes.

I have to agree about Three Tomatoes. Definitely skip it. Hemingways, Pitcher Inn, The Garlic, Choices, American Flatbread.... all good recommendations, but all quite a long drive from where you are! I personally dont enjoy knowing that after my two or three or four glasses of wine, I have an hour and a half drive on dark snowy unfamiliar roads ahead of me. Granted, that's part of New England's charm, but let me recommend some closer eateries that I'm sure you'd enjoy.

Right in your little town of White River Jct, there is a relatively new Northern Italian restaurant called Como Va. Try it, it might surprise you. It's fairly authentic, with a very cozy atmosphere, and attentive service.

Also in your humble village, there is a cafe called Tip Top, open for lunch. Modern decor, great soups, interesting appetizers. Worth a try. Please note that this place has changed their opening hours quite a few times. Inquire about when to go.

Close by in the neighboring town of Hanover (5-10 minutes away), there is a lovely, wine-spectator-awarded Italian cafe called Cafe Buon Gustayo, affectionately nicknamed CBG's by the locals. They are open later than the average Vermont restaurant... will accomodate you if you walk in at 9 or 9:30, even later sometimes on weekends... and the owners are unbelievably friendly. If you're into Italian, you'll like it. They make their own breads and pastas, and their love for Italy can be tasted in every bite.

Also in Hanover, you'll find as much international flavor as you ever will in these neck of the woods... An Indian place called India Queen, and a thai place called Mai Tai, both adequate, but nothing to rave about. There's also a great little homey breakfast place called Lou's and a cafe/bakery called Dirt Cowboy Cafe. Zin's at the Hanover Inn is overpriced and very blah... always empty and quite cold.

A trip to Simon Pierce in Quechee should be on your do-not-miss list. It's quite close to where you are (Highway 91 to 89 N exit 1 onto route 4, 10 min.) It's a beautiful place to go to during the day, with lots to see and a great lunch menu. I find it more appropriate for lunch, as dinners are a bit overpriced and the blown glass and pottery stores are closed, but either way, a nice destination. It's known as one of the Upper Valley's very best restaurants. Also in Quechee, the Parker House, which is a local favorite, and Firestones, which serves good flatbread pizza.

There are a few places in Woodstock which are worth checking out. Woodstock is after Quechee on Rte 4, maybe 15 minutes from White River Jct. The Prince and the Pauper is a delightful little restaurant, with very good french-inspired food. The Woodstock Inn offers a great Sunday brunch. And the Jackson House in Woodstock is divine! The chef is a Charlie Trotter veteran. A tasting menu is available.

From Woodstock, if you head south on Rte 106, South Woodstock has a lovely country inn (also received a nod from Wine Spectator) called the Kedron Valley Inn, closed tuesdays and wednesdays. It offers very traditional, New England fare, and a classic decor. Check them out at www. kedronvalleyinn.com. And a bit further to the South (Rte 106), there is a GEM of a place called Keeper's, a small, very lovely restaurant with a limited menu, but TERRIFIC food and courteous service. Last time I had the absolute best corn chowder, cajun shrimp quesadillas, and fresh seared halibut in tomato and herb concasse. A longer drive, but worth it. They are open tuesday-saturday.

10 min to the North of Woodstock, on Rte 12, there is a GREAT upscale restaurant called the Barnard Inn. Renowned for their desserts, fish soups, and crispy duck. Worth the drive.

Also not too far from you in Plainfield (through W Lebanon, straight for 10 miles and right onto Plainfield road), there is an award winning French restaurant called Home Hill. Stephane is the owner, and his wife the chef. Absolutely delightful, very traditional, beautiful place, reminiscent of an old Parisian restaurant. Expensive.

All these recommendations are within 30 minutes of White River. Definitely all worth checking out. It's certainly not NYC, but it's what's available... Do report back to tell of your experiences! Happy eating! :smile: