• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your favorite tea?

Do you have a favorite bagged tea?

I really like a tea called Mariage Frères that I first tried in a three star restaurant in Paris. I understand there are local sources, but I haven’t checked them out yet. Really outstanding brew. The website is French only.

I was at Café Coupa in Palo Alto checking out the Chaou chocolate selection and on the counter were tins of Tea Forte. Each tin carries two silk tea bags wrapped in a paper pyramid. The tea bags are pyramid shaped with a wire like string that has a tiny green leaf attached. There were notes about all the positive press this tea was getting and it was a favorite of Oprahs.

I tried the Flora, a herbal tea described as

“A ruby red herbal tea that blends crimson flowers with cinnamon sticks. This full-flavored tea has soft fruit notes, and makes a wonderful afternoon reprieve”

The tea is $2.50 for one little silken bag. If you put it next to Celestial Seasoning and did a blind tasting, I don’t think you could tell the difference. I’m going to start taking Oprah’s food recommendations with a bit of skepticism. I might have just tried the wrong flavor, but I’m not willing to shell out $5 a tin to experiment after this experience.

Bay Breads has this organic tea that comes in beautiful little silk tea bags. I want to like it but it doesn’t taste like much to me.

In the category of supermarket tea, I’m a Celestial Seasoning person. And in the plain normal tea, I like Red Rose. IMO. Republic of Tea is too pricy and not that great.

My wife and I discovered a fabulous line of teas at Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley. They're called Mighty Leaf Teas and are available at selected shops, resorts, and on the internet. I'm not really a tea person, but these blew me away. Their Jasmine Mist and Green Tea Passion are our favorites.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

That Tea Forte is really beautiful, Krys, but I tend to agree with you: bagged tea can only be so good, so you're really paying extra for the pretty packaging. I'd be curious to try the Mighty Leaf, though.

That Tea Forte is really beautiful, Krys, but I tend to agree with you: bagged tea can only be so good, so you're really paying extra for the pretty packaging. I'd be curious to try the Mighty Leaf, though.

I've seen Might Leaf at quite a few of the better restaurants. I've been drinking Asian tea for the past few years, but every now and then I don't feel like bresing a pot. So I'll give Mighty Leaf a try.

I've seen Might Leaf at quite a few of the better restaurants. I've been drinking Asian tea for the past few years, but every now and then I don't feel like bresing a pot. So I'll give Mighty Leaf a try.

Whole Foods carries Mighty Leaf.

Yep, Mighty Leaf is good because they use tea leaves, rather than tea "powder" :hmmm: . I'd have to say that they're my favorite bag tea brand. I like the Orange Dulce (or whatever they're calling it now... they changed the packaging last year). It's a black tea with orange blossoms, jasmine, and vanilla. Yummmm.

I haven't had Mariage Freres in bags, I only buy it loose when I go to Paris (which is not very often) so that it's freshest.

Locally for loose tea I like Imperial Tea Court. They also sell the tea filter bags so that you can turn loose tea into a teabag (if that makes sense).

Krys, how was Cafe Coupa? I've been meaning to get over there to check out the chocolate and pastries (not much of a coffee person).

Krys, how was Cafe Coupa? I've been meaning to get over there to check out the chocolate and pastries (not much of a coffee person).

I was there stricktly for the Chauo ... and they were out of my favorite. However, the place was busy and the atmosphere was not appealing to me. Very nice display case of desserts, but I went next door to a place called Tea Time to have a crumpet with huckleberry jelly.

The crumpet and jelly were good if not outstanding. Large selection of loose leave teas, but I can't vouch for them. I tried the iced Thai tea, which is ... Iced Thai tea. You can't judge a tea house on that.

It is a great place for tea ware and it does cross the Asian / English barriers. You are as likely to find pretty bone china English tea sets as well as Chinese pots. Big selection of tea books you can read thru. Even had the children's book, "I'm a little tea pot".

Again, based on a crumpet and an iced tea, I can't tell. It was empty while Cafe Coupa was jumping. Tea Time has been in business for 7 years though, so it must be doing something right. Doesn't match Far Leaves Tea, Celadon or Imperial Tea in terms of ambiance though.

Edited by Krys Stanley (log)

I was just in the Union Square Williams-Sonoma yesterday, they have the Mariage-Freres Eros, Marco Polo, Apricot and Vanilla. I've long been a fan of Marco Polo, my official favorite.

They also carry 3 Kousmichoff teas: Troika Genuine, Prince Vladimir and Petrushka. I'd never tried these, so I bought the Prince Vladimir and enjoyed a cup once I got home. It's a lovely blend Ceylon and China teas with scents of orange, lemon, vanilla, grapefruit and spices. Might be my new favorite, as it's a bit less heady than the Marco Polo.

Also, it comes in a beautiful tin:

http://www.cybercucina.com/ccimages/products/K9009PV-l.jpg