• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(SEA)Total Yogurt

Since they pulled it last summer due to FDA regulations, I'm wondering if the whole Total Yogurt situation has been resolved and if anyone in Seattle has been able to purchase it recently, or has found it in stores. I call Whole Foods and Trader Joes periodically to check, but am I limiting my search? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I saw Total at DeLaurentis last week.  I was pleasantly surprised!

I did a special trek to the Market (I usually can't stand driving and parking in Downtown Seattle, so it is a special trek for me) and they did not have the yogurt anymore :sad:. In my frustration, I spent way too much money on proscuitto and amarena cherries, and picked up a cup of some Swiss yogurt that actually turned out quite good. Then I went home and e-mailed Fage to ask them when it will be back in stores locally (which is what I should have done in the first place) and the very next day they wrote me and said it would be back at Whole Foods and Trader Joes the first week of March. That's service, I tell you. So my fellow Total yogurt fans, yogurt happiness is only a month away.

By the way, I tried Trader Joe's Greek yogurt, and it just wasn't the same. A different taste and mouthfeel altogether.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up Total with strawberry at DeLaurenti's. It's good, of course, but I think I prefer the honey since it has a more exotic, distinctive flavor. How much does Total cost at TJ's? It's $2.99 at DeLaurenti's. And has anyone tried the strawberry Greek yogurt that was advertised in the last Fearless Flyer?

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I remember noting it was cheaper at TJ's (when I was there last weekend) but they didn't have the honey flavor.

~A

Last Tuesday the checker told me they had the honey in the back, it just hadn't been stocked yet.

I didn't care because I've been adding my own. What brand granola do you all like to mix in? I've got Fannys from Whole but would like something fresher. Without having to make my own of course.

What brand granola do you all like to mix in? I've got Fannys from Whole but would like something fresher. Without having to make my own of course.

I have used Kashi Go Lean Crunch and it was pretty tasty. Tonight I am going to toast some almonds and mix them in with some raspberry honey to use.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I know this is an aside, but my mom's neighbor in Italy (Garfagnana region of Tuscany) just sent me her own honey made from bees who have collected the spit of aphids?? At least thats what I understand from her Italian description. It is quite dark and tastes a little like chestnuts. Anyone ever hear of this?

I know this is an aside, but my mom's neighbor in Italy (Garfagnana region of Tuscany) just sent me her own honey made from bees who have collected the spit of aphids?? At least thats what I understand from her Italian description. It is quite dark and tastes a little like chestnuts. Anyone ever hear of this?

I have chesnut honey in the pantry - hope it isn't aphid spit.

I have chesnut honey in the pantry - hope it isn't aphid spit.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

she wrote "miele melata" on the jar. heres what i found on google:

www.verdetoscana.it/hm_mel.htm - 11k

if you hit translate it says the metabolism of aphids..oh thats better...man, i was worried there for a second :blink:

How much does Total cost at TJ's? It's $2.99 at DeLaurenti's. And has anyone tried the strawberry Greek yogurt that was advertised in the last Fearless Flyer?

Answering my own questions after a visit to TJ's last week: the Total with honey is $1.89 there. They also had larger containers of lowfat and regular Total. Along with a couple of honey, I bought the TJ brand Greek-style strawberry. It was good (not too sweet), but not great. It had a slightly gritty texture, not the amazing smoothness of Total, perhaps because of the strawberries. I also bought an Italian yogurt, Spega La Natura, lowfat Cinnamon and Ginger (they also had Mixed Berries). It was OK, but I wouldn't buy it again (unless I crave the cute little glass pots). The yogurt tasted very lowfat and there wasn't a strong ginger flavor.

Iris now loves Total too. It's all my fault. At least she's not old enough to demand it by name (yet). Actually she eats yogurt for breakfast almost every morning: Brown Cow fullfat plain, with cinnamon and Gerber fruit puree (pear or peach) stirred in. It's very good.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 4 months later...