• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt

Liza

We've done Dannon, and sampled Ronnybrook. I'm currently trying a Yo-Crunch, which comes with a packet of granola to fold in. Has anyone taste a yogurt taste-off? Looking for active yogurt cultures and available in NYC.

Liza,

For me there is yogurt for snacking and there is yogurt for more serious ocassions.

For snacking I like Stonyfield Farm Organic.  If I'm in the mood for sweet, the caramel flavor is really good.  Also the maple vanilla and the lemon.

For tzatziki or yogurt cheese or marinating chicken breasts there is nothing better than Coach Farms goat milk yogurt.  It tastes like the really good sour cream of my childhood with just a little goatiness as an added attraction.

Lately, I have been able to get Total(I think thats the name) a yogurt that says it is actually imported from Greece.  It has a really nice tartness and full milk body.

I HATE typical yogurts (American ones anyway) especially the premixed varieties.  Just so much slop.

Kaluystans',on Lex. and 28th,makes their own 'labny',lebanese yogurt,and it is really thick,rich and delicious.There are a few Greek and Lebanese companies that also make good yogurt.It's usually sold inGreek or Middle eastern groceries.

Please beware, lebne is more fattening than sour cream, and, I think, mayonaisse.  I still love it, especially when sprinkled with chopped tomato, onion and lots of Zatar, then drizzled with great olive oil and scooped up with pita bread or chips.  

For really good, everyday yogurt, try to find Brown Cow whole milk, with the cream on top.  I see this in natural food stores.  The plain is fine, and the vanilla is divine, especially when mixed with tahini for an instant sauce on hummus etc.  Other than that, Stoneybrook is probably the way to go, especially since it is so readily available.

For me there is yogurt for snacking and there is yogurt for more serious ocassions.

As usual, you've cut through the fat... (hey! It's a yogurt joke!)

But seriously, Yogurt, like Mustard, is one of those things I grew up hating because I never had a good example of it (I wonder what Isaac Carasso, the founder of Dannon would think if he tasted the contemporary varieties from his company?).

Today, I still don't "snack" on Yogurt, except occassionally the frozen kind.

But I love yogurt at a good Greek, Turkish or similar restaurant.  On big pieces of meat, or just on a pita.  :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"