• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unlikely Restaurant Hotbeds

Well worth a shopping trip. Not only Pike End but a couple of other good meat sellers (another local farm just doing lamb and some folk from Anglesey who do a range of good stuff). And don't forget the cheese - Bourne's Cheshire & Sharrocks Lancashire.

John Hartley

• 1 month later...

Croydon - huge catchment area and about 50 restaurants in a row in the high street and not a decent one amongst them (apart from the tree house which tries hard but doesn't quite pull it off)

On the evidence of my lunch there on Tuesday, Croydon now has at least one decent restaurant in Albert's Table http://www.albertstable.co.uk/. It was also impressively busy for early week in January

(Its at 49b/c South End so Matthew's statement may well still be true.)

On this evidence I went along. Crab tart tasted of little, let alone crab, it was served with a decently cooked scallop, some pancetta, a prawn and a prawn soup (If I remember correctly). Venison was a decent piece of meat but let down by non-descript sauce. Neals yard cheese always gets my vote, well if i were Neals yard I would stop selling to this restaurant, appalling condition, tired and small pieces of 4 or 5 cheeses.

Nothings changed, though I will concede that this is probably the best restaurant in town along with Le Cassoulet. It's just all so boring and old fashioned and wouldn't encourage me to get on the bus. Bloody awful room as well, not even half full on the Thursday night we went.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Newcastle is pretty poor given its size and reputation for night life. Cafe 21 stands out like a beacon together with its sister restaurants Caffe Vivo and 21@Fenwicks. There's Jesmond Dene House and also a new owner of the Fisherman's Lodge. Even the McCoys had two attempts up here and gave up, the second one lasting less than a year.

Agree that York is poor apart from J Baker's and Meltons.