• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long Beach peninsula ideas

I tried doing a search but I end up with all kinds of things - too many other Long Beaches etc.

Merrill & I are hoping to spend mid week before I start tax season down in that area and. although we hope to mostly cook for ourselves, and we will probably end up at the Ark one night, we are looking for other ideas.

Also if anyone has suggestions for renting an "affordable" (ie cheap) house where we can hear the ocean from Sunday through Thurs AM, I would love ideas.

Thanks.

Mary

I didn't find any really good places to eat in Long Beach. A restaurant called The Depot was closed for renovation when I was there, but I've heard great things about it. There is another hotel dining room/pub on the way into town on the left that looked pretty good, but I didn't try that either. The Ark is only open a few days a week, I think, and Sunday through Thursday might not be your best bet. It's also sort of gone down hill so you might want to check their menu first.

If you're planning on cooking for yourself you absolutely have to drive up to Oysterville and get a dozen from the Oysterville Sea Farm right on the water. Those are some of the best oysters available.

Don't miss the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse on the Columbia River or Leadbetter State Park on the north end of the peninsula, both of which require a little bit of effort but are well worth it.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Mary,

A friend of mine told me about a place that, while it's not Long Beach, is very close. It's the <a href='http://www.home-spirit.com/'>Home Spirit Cafe and Bakery</a> in Astoria I haven't been, but I am going for lunch tomorrow and can report back. (someone <i>please </i>say they want to hear about it and give me an excuse to eat dessert...)

The person who told me about it said he's had more than one of his five best meals there, so my expectations are set and I am skipping breakfast. Plus, the drive over the river is gorgeous!

Also, there are waterfront places on the Columbia 20-30 miles inland inexpensively so if you are open to not exactly the coast...I'd check out <a href='http://www.SkamokawaKayak.com'> Skamokawa Kayak</a> for waterfront rentals. Apartments w/kitchens and patios <i>on</i> the water. We visited some friends there recently and it was rather pretty.

...beth

ps... this is not only my first post, but you inspired me to upgrade my membership so I could post it... does that make you responsible or my eGulletLife or something?

Also if anyone has suggestions for renting an "affordable" (ie cheap) house where we can hear the ocean from Sunday through Thurs AM, I would love ideas.

The houses at Cape Disappointment and Fort Columbia, the two state parks on the peninsula are 50% off on weekdays during the winter:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/specialoffers.asp

I've never stayed in any of them but the views from the lighthouse at Cape Disappointment are amazing. It would definitely qualify as "hear the ocean".

Cape Disappointment also has cabins and yurts (heated :)) if you want to be really affordable.

Welcome kitchenmage,

I never thought of Astoria as that close - but I didn't try the drive. Yes, you must have dessert - a review without it is so incomplete.

Arrrrggggghhhh! Not only is Home Spirit closed--even the bakery *sniffle*--but the locals say the HS owners are selling it and leaving town! I am truly saddened as I had heard many wonderful things about it. :sad:

Tsquare, this means I get to go make myself some marvelous dessert to make up for the loss, right? I am thinking that enough bittersweet chocolate will make me feel better.

Spent a lovely 4 days down there and found a VERY good little place in Ilwaco of all places. It's called Pauly's Bistro (or Pauli's, not sure which). It's on the waterfront, at the very end and it does lunch and dinner most days.

Lunch menu was about 4 salads, a chowder that looked good, a special soup, various sandwiches/burgers etc and "halibut and chips". I use quote marks because it was not your typical fish and chips. First of all, it was a very light breading, with lots of sesame seeds - I think they called it Sesame Crusted. It came with a very good tarter sauce and a slaw from fennell and apple. Plus they were very happy to substitute a side salad (your choice from the 4 salads listed) at no extra charge. (Cost of halibut & chips was $12)

While my partner enjoyed that, I had the soup of the day which was a Posole which I really liked - quite a bit of pork, firm hominey, just enough spicing and a good broth. I had this in a combo plate with choice of salad and had the "house" which is good greens, apples, gorganzola and candied walnuts. Cost of Combo plate was $9.

Had a glass of "decent house white" which was quite decent but don't know what chardonay for $4.50

Dinner menu looked nice - if I remember correctly had preparations of oysters, pork, steak, chicken etc plus starters and soups and salads.

Also went to the Ark on Sunday night as they are only open Friday to Sunday. It has not really changed much at all - same wait staff although I hear the bartender has changed, same menu, similar quality. I had a mushroom crusted loin of lamb which was pretty good, but it came with a couscous that had a moroccan flavor that didn't really compliment the sauce of the lamb. I asked the waitperson what the flavorings of the sauce and the couscous were and got back the answer from the kitchen that the sauce was just a demi glace which really didn't tell me much and that the couscous was simply flavored with veggies.

I wouldn't go back unless the new owners make some changes but I still like the space (kind of tacky but with a great view) and the people. But with a much cheaper option of Pauly's, I would gladly go down to Ilwaco.

Thanks for the suggestions before the trip.

Mary