• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

88 Cafe

Rosie

Had dinner at 88 Cafe, 106 Mt Pleasant Ave, Livingston; BYO. Started off with 88 Cafe Wonton soup for two which was bland with doughy wontons. Entrees were good. We had udon noodles with chicken which were tasty but had very little chicken. Also, the menu described this dish as having sauteed baby bok choy so I expected more than a few green leaves. The vegetables and tofu in a curry sauce were very good but we didn’t expect it to be so spicy as there wasn’t a little chile next to it on the menu. Anyone else been here?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I was considering checking out this place, but hadn't gotten to do so yet. After reading your review, I'm in no particular hurry.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I had lunch there a couple of months ago ---- but I CAN'T remember what I had!! I usually keep a copy of the take-out menu, but I can't find that either! So much for lasting impressions. Basil and lemongrass dishes and some fusion stuff. I much prefer solid regional food.

But I do remember that the food was good and attractively presented on pretty dishes.

I also remarked to my friend that altho it was good, it was not exciting. Would I go back again. I guess so, but it would not be my first choice.

Anyone else been here?

I had lunch there last week. Overall I liked it. I had the Peking Noodles w/ minced pork, which was very tasty (and inexpensive, I might add). Service was good & I found the staff friendly and accomodating.

There are some fusion dishes (e.g, thai & southeast asian, as well as jicama in some dishes style) on the menu in addition to the traditional Chinese, as well as a number of dishes beyond the "same-old, same-old" typical Chinese-American. It may not be "authentic" Chinese like China 46, but they seem to execute their dishes well. I will definitely go back.

BTW, the menu said it is owned by the people that own Bill & Harry's.

• 4 months later...