• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Buco

Wilfrid

for those not up on their stoner comedies....Sneakeater provided the perfect opportunity to conflate Il Buco and Dazed and Confused (probably the first...and last...time that will happen)

All right, I'll bite. I love that movie, and can't think of anything that would meld Il Buco and D&C together (other than the random fact that I like them both).

What?

bolbitis

noun

terrestrial or less than normally scandent ferns of tropical regions of northern hemisphere

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University

I'm 98 years old and I have never known anyone who knew that word - that's almost a century of stumping people.

I'm utterly impressed Raji - WOW!!!!!!

Thanx!

Try speaking Nipponese!

I hope you don't think that means that now you can die.

Nah - that happened years ago.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I've been eating at Il Buco regularly for seven years. The crowd there can be irritating but the food is consistently good to very good. They are serious about what they do and to call it a date restaurant and to compare it to One If y Land (of which, admittedly, I have no firsthand experience) does Il Buco a disservice.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

for those not up on their stoner comedies....Sneakeater provided the perfect opportunity to conflate Il Buco and Dazed and Confused (probably the first...and last...time that will happen)

All right, I'll bite. I love that movie, and can't think of anything that would meld Il Buco and D&C together (other than the random fact that I like them both).

What?

"the great thing about freshmen is that every year I get older and they stay the same age!"...or something like that.

I've been eating at Il Buco regularly for seven years.  The crowd there can be irritating but the food is consistently good to very good.  They are serious about what they do and to call it a date restaurant and to compare it to One If y Land (of which, admittedly, I have no firsthand experience) does Il Buco a disservice.

it wasn't a comparison per se. just noting that Il Buco is known as a "date restaurant"...

• 4 months later...

just chiming in on il buco here. after having it on my shortlist for quite some time, i tried it recently.

it was not a good evening. bad service - dreadful server, who went from being curt and somewhat aggressive to actually being rude and insulting towards members of our party (her tactless correcting people's pronunciation of menu items), to incorrectly serving me a coffee instead of an americano cocktail when i order one "as an aperitif", and then getting defensive about it, and saying she "didn't know how to make one" as her excuse - when they have a bartender upfront! why not just say she mistook the order, and be done with it, rather than trying to make me seem like i'd put them all out by asking for a very standard cocktail? :wacko:

the food itelf ranged from quite good to very bland. overall, the food doesn't add up to the promise suggested by the restaurant's popularity (though popularity doesn't always mean quality, i know). what a lovely space though, certainly very charming. however i'll not be back. i'm sure there are things on the menu that are better than what i had (the quail say was nice, the salumi platter poor - way too dry serrano ham! -, the pork main bland and uninspired). my dining companions were all similarly unimpressed.

i wrote about it in more detail on chowhound. are we ok with posting links to CH on here? my review on chowhound

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mark D Smith

New York, New York

Blog: Apricot Custard

- - - - - - - - - - - - -