• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Crackers

Skwerl

In Ivy Manning's book, Crackers and Dips, she gives directions both in cracker dough thickness (for using a rolling pin) and in pasta roller setting.

Edited to add Amazon link.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I really like the lavash crackers from The Bread Bakers Apprentice. (Looking back on this thread I see that this recipe was recommended in 2008). They are easy to make, you can top them with whatever or everything and they hold up really well.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I really like the lavash crackers from The Bread Bakers Apprentice. (Looking back on this thread I see that this recipe was recommended in 2008). They are easy to make, you can top them with whatever or everything and they hold up really well.

Elaina

I have that book. Will look those up.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 years later...

Have to say that I am quite delighted with myself.  I made my very first crackers.  Cheesy Crackers from Williams-Sonoma. Better From Scratch.  by Ivy Manning. 2014.

I've joined our Library Cookbook Club and this months challenge is an appetiser, local, seasonal, and still from our local library book.  So having made lots of wild grape jelly (local and seasonal for sure but an online recipe), I made the crackers (not local or seasonal, but from one of the library books),  The crackers are delicious and with the tart jelly?  wonderful!

DSC01093.thumb.JPG.50f71e3eb8e84c7f888d35ddb35839cb.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 hours ago, Darienne said:

Cheesy Crackers from Williams-Sonoma. Better From Scratch.  by Ivy Manning. 2014.

Nice.  The recipe is online for those who might want to try it. 

Edited by Anna N
Attempting to insert a valid link to the recipe. Without success. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here is a link to the recipe for the cheesy crackers.  Recipe.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here is a link to the recipe for the cheesy crackers.  Recipe.

I'm no expert in this one, but I can't see why the crackers should be placed 2 whole inches apart on the baking sheet.  They don't expand at all.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My very favorite homemade crackers in the world are the homemade Raincoast Crisps, particularly when the real thing is $5.49 a (small) box. I make several of the loaves and freeze them, then slice and bake as needed/wanted. Recipe here.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

35 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I'm no expert in this one, but I can't see why the crackers should be placed 2 whole inches apart on the baking sheet.  They don't expand at all.

I'm thinking to ensure that they dry out and crisp on all sides (hot air circulation)?

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, kayb said:

My very favorite homemade crackers in the world are the homemade Raincoast Crisps, particularly when the real thing is $5.49 a (small) box. I make several of the loaves and freeze them, then slice and bake as needed/wanted. Recipe here.

Amazon and Walmart online offer the 5.3 oz. (150 g) box for a mere $14.99!  😲

Edited by lindag (log)

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Made these once and they were very good. No longer have the stamina to make them.   Nor am I likely to spend the kind of money you need to spend to buy them in Canada.  They have been consigned to long-term memory. 😂

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Made these once and they were very good. No longer have the stamina to make them.   Nor am I likely to spend the kind of money you need to spend to buy them in Canada.  They have been consigned to long-term memory. 😂

I make the loaves in mini-loaf pans. Freeze them. Then I can grab one loaf at a time, make maybe two dozen crackers, depending on how thickly I slice. It's workable.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, I guess I am the only one making crackers.  Those last ones were my only successful crackers ever.  And I didn't even make them.  I’ve never had much luck making crackers.  They are always hard rather than crisp with a thin inner core of “tough”.  The ones I tried tonight didn’t change my luck.  I know that part of my problem is that I don’t roll them thin enough.  But this was an odd dough – flour, butter, seeds, and cottage cheese – and it never really came together:

IMG_2357.jpg.b8274e65a91cadc9e903666e6519b1f4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I don't roll crackers with a rolling pin.  I use the pasta roller.  For me it is much easier.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 5/30/2020 at 10:33 PM, andiesenji said:

I don't roll crackers with a rolling pin.  I use the pasta roller.  For me it is much easier.

I will try that method if/when I ever make crackers again.  It would never have worked with this recipe.  It was almost crumbly.  And extremely sticky.  

I should say that sitting for a couple of days improved the taste and texture of these crackers.  The dough was still a PITA to work with though. 😁

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

As an extension of using a pasta roller to roll out crackers, I’ve been using my electric pasta and noodle maker to extrude the cracker dough using the lasagne die. Really easy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Used to buy J. Macy cheese crackers years ago. Always a treat....link, HERE. Even as a poor student and first apartment with a futon on the floor, a treat. Fast forward twenty years they are neighbors. I know his wife better but he seems to have a good gig going. Not sure if I would want a factory running life. Good story behind the brand. He seems focused and content from the few times I've been in their home. Quiet but maybe exhausted. They have goats and bees for honey and chickens and gorgeous gardens she sells at market.

Flatbreads are so expensive 'artisanal'. Easy with a pasta roller. Obviously a commercial baker needs to cover cost in packaging, etc. Why expense needs to be considered via commercial products. Restaurants and bakeries have rent and overhead. 

I do like RaincoatCrisps but found them inconsistent in various batches. Often rock hard. Work always has them freebie so I never buy them. Ok with a soft gorgonzola or goat cheese. Killer expensive.

Had a cracker from Misfits horrible recently. Cardboard. No flavor but seedy. Good ingredients but probably not toasted. Baffled why they were so dismal and lack of taste. Crispy cardboard confusing.

I've been making a cracker for years now. A bit of a cross between a triscuit, wheat thin, rainCoast. Tender crispy. Not flaky layered like a cheese nip. Or a saltine. 

crackers.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I gifted them years ago, them gifted 'kits' that did not go over well. No co-workers wanted to make them. Non-bakers could not be bothered.

But I make my own 'kits' and making a couple batches tonight for neighbors. I found a couple 'kits' in my freezer.

I keep wanting to make a few recipes of rolled shortbreads but out of time most days. 

crackers-bread 2018.png

• Like 1

Here are the original recipes I worked from. 

LIFE CHANGING CRACKERS

LIFE CHANGING BREAD

They are both gluten-free dairy-free. I've changed the recipes over the years but mine are scaled to fit the smaller French steel baking pans so the measurements will not work in a US half sheet pan. I pulse most of the oats in my spice grinder and some of the seeds. Sometimes add almond or corn flour. 

The bread I like to add sprouted wheat berries, half cup, soaked 24 hours. Or cooked. We don't have gluten or dairy issues but I only gift the crackers. Lots of issues among family and friends and co-workers so hate to leave someone out during the holidays.

My dads favorite bread so I make quite a bit when I visit... for their freezer. 

CRACKERS WITH HUMBOLT FOG.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Thanks 1