• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brunch in the napa valley?

dvs

Calistoga Inn offers a weekend brunch (per their website...I'd call to make sure it's year round). Cafe 29 just north of St. Helena does crepes all day, so this might do in a pinch. At the other end of the valley, The Carneros Inn also has a weekend brunch. Hope these help!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I'd recommend Gordon's in Yountville. They're open every day for breakfast and lunch (they serve dinner only on Friday nights - a prix fixe). It's a pretty casual place, and the food is excellent: lots of organic ingredients, freshly baked pastries. In the summer, I biked up there for breakfast - a very satisfying refueling stop.

allison

I'd recommend Gordon's in Yountville. They're open every day for breakfast and lunch (they serve dinner only on Friday nights - a prix fixe). It's a pretty casual place, and the food is excellent: lots of organic ingredients, freshly baked pastries. In the summer, I biked up there for breakfast - a very satisfying refueling stop.

They had discontinued the Friday night dinners...I'd check to see if the've reinstated them. MsMelkor's observations are well-put...Gordon's is Mer Lot's and my favorite breakfast/lunch spot in Yountville. Make sure to say "Hi" to Tim, the manager...he's a really great guy!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

They had discontinued the Friday night dinners...I'd check to see if the've reinstated them. MsMelkor's observations are well-put...Gordon's is Mer Lot's and my favorite breakfast/lunch spot in Yountville. Make sure to say "Hi" to Tim, the manager...he's a really great guy!

thanks for the suggestions...

and, could you please tell tim the manager at gordon's that i live down the street & don't go there bacause the service sucks ;)

and, could you please tell tim the manager at gordon's that i live down the street & don't go there bacause the service sucks ;)

Well, yeah, I agree with you in part...we've had spotty service, but it ain't haute cuisine, so we accept that and just go with the small town ambience, warts & all. All in all, I wouldn't let the service deter me from the great food.

Just my opinion.

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Well, yeah, I agree with you in part...we've had spotty service, but it ain't haute cuisine, so we accept that and just go with the small town ambience, warts & all. All in all, I wouldn't let the service deter me from the great food.

Just my opinion.

do you work there? if so, i'm sorry to offend... but, i just don't think the food (esp at the prices) makes up for the poor service. i mean i've been trying to get in the door w/ a stroller and had staff push past me, had it take 10 minutes to get more milk or coffee while plenty of staffers are just standing around, and most are cluless when it comes to the foreign concept of iced coffee (like, OMG, its only 100 degrees, and you want ICED(!!) coffee!!)

was i just venting? sorry ;)

do you work there?

Nope...just a part-time local. We try to steer clear when people are jammed out the door...nothing is that good! If you're close, why not do take-out? We do that quite a bit. It avoids the crowd & bad service situations.

If you're a local & really unhappy, I'd mention something to management. Sally should be back from her back surgery fairly soon...bring it to her attention.

Edited to add:

BTW, did any of my brunch suggestions in answer to your original post do anything for you? I'd be anxious to hear back if you try any of them.

Edited by samgiovese (log)

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

do you work there?

Nope...just a part-time local. We try to steer clear when people are jammed out the door...nothing is that good! If you're close, why not do take-out? We do that quite a bit. It avoids the crowd & bad service situations.

If you're a local & really unhappy, I'd mention something to management. Sally should be back from her back surgery fairly soon...bring it to her attention.

Edited to add:

BTW, did any of my brunch suggestions in answer to your original post do anything for you? I'd be anxious to hear back if you try any of them.

i'm definately going to check out cafe 29... butter cream bakery was also suggested to me and i'm anxious to check that out also...

will report back!