• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's about a year since I was last in BA/Argentina. We took back as many bottles of non-exported wine that our government would allow for personal use. Unfortunately, our supply is dwindling.

Does anyone know how a New Yorker can get his hands on some Rutini or Estiba Reserve Catena Zapata? I have no luck from my end finding these smooth, rounded Malbecs.

What are some of your favorite Argentine/Chilean wines? Do you know if they are exported?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how a New Yorker can get his hands on some Rutini or Estiba Reserve Catena Zapata?  I have no luck from my end finding these smooth, rounded Malbecs.

What are some of your favorite Argentine/Chilean wines?  Do you know if they are exported?

Catena Zapata is available in a couple of shops in Calgary (Canada), but you'd have to go since they can't ship outside of the province.

I have a few of these, but very few other Argentine wines (higher-end stuff is difficult to find). For Chile, I have some Almaviva, Casa Lapostolle's Clos Apalta and some stuff from Montes (Folly and a micro-vertical of Alpha M).

I have been enjoying Michel Rolland's Clos de los Siete. A collaboration of 7 vineyards wth 40 % malbec and a 20/20/20 split of cab sauv, merlot and syrah I believe.

On the strictly malbec front I like the mid-range one from Catena [$23 Cdn] and think that their Catena Alta Malbec is outstanding. However, at $61 Cdn it has priced itself into that "special occasion" niche, at least for me.

Had a vigonier from St. Julia recommended to me. From Mendoza. An affordable decent sipper that I can see myself buying for next summer on the deck rather than southern French bottles that are comparably priced.

Some info on Malbec from Argentina, " Luigi Bosca Malbec. This grape, although imported form France more than a century ago, has grown and adapted so perfectly to the Argentine soil that the Argentinean Malbec’s are the world’s greatest ones. The wine responds perfectly to the slight movements of the crystal expressing its perfect deep color, dark and tall. As sipping this unsurpassed wine the feel of maturity and balance, supporting its full, velvety and juicy body, one’s lead into a senses paradise."

Bob Frassinetti.

• 5 months later...

Distribution of Argentine wines in the US is slowly improving, although its a little tough unless you live in or close to some of the larger cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, etc. I understand that the latest news from the US supreme court will allow shipments of wines between states to be somewhat easier, although Im not completely briefed on the details and am still looking for more information on this.

For the record, I am a wine merchant here in Buenos Aires, and I have a growing group of customers from abroad. My company regularly ships wines to many countries in the world, although individual restrictions may apply depending on your exact place of residence. We do ship to the USA, but to date have not done anything with Canada.

Please feel free to email or send me a PM with any questions you may have.

regards,

Alex

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar

• 5 weeks later...

Here's what the supreme court's ruling created:

It requires that states allow individuals to buy wine from out of state wineries in the same manner in which they buy wine from in state wineries. That's the nutshell. It doesn't create a free-for-all.

Basically, if, for example you live in New York state, where in-state wineries are allowed to ship wine to you, the state has to allow out-of-state wineries to ship to you. However, if you live in a state where the local wineries can't ship, but you have to go to them to buy, then the same holds true, you'd have to go to the out of state winery to buy. And if you're in a state where all wine distribution has to go through an approved outlet, like a state run store, then the same will hold true for out of state wineries.

The ruling has no effect on wines from outside of the country, i.e., if a wine is imported by an importer in California, New Yorkers still can't just order it from that importer - it's not covered by the ruling - only direct winery sales are. And, hmmm... what have I forgotten... oh... no effect on liquor. And this only affects individuals buying for private consumption - not restaurants or retail stores, who still have to buy via the wholesale distribution system.

(The ruling also gave states a time period to implement this, not sure how long - so far, as far as I know, only two states, New York and Michigan, have actually passed any changes, and those won't be implemented until October 1.)

Edited by saltshaker (log)

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

I will be back down in BsAs in a few weeks. I have picked up some Rutini and Luigi Bosca on prior visits. Any others that I should seek out to bring home?

I would suggest you consider some labels from smaller estates. Some names I would say you put on a shortlist would be:

- Punto Final

- Viña Cobos

- Finca Las Moras

www.terroir.com.ar

I will be back down in BsAs in a few weeks. I have picked up some Rutini and Luigi Bosca on prior visits. Any others that I should seek out to bring home?

I would suggest you consider some labels from smaller estates. Some names I would say you put on a shortlist would be:

- Punto Final

- Viña Cobos

- Finca Las Moras

Thanks for the suggestions. Are these readily available at the wine shops around town?

Finca Las Moras is widely available. Viña Cobos not so much, especially in the upper ranges of their wines like Bramare and Cobos. Punto Final is a very recent release, but most of the higher end wine stores should already carry it.

I strongly suggest you try Mora Negra 2003 from Finca las Moras.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

www.terroir.com.ar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! nice too see few of my cumpas here

We finally getting some wines in OZ though mostly Chadornnay type some labelled some clean skin but not Malbecs or Merlot have always been my favourites

• 3 weeks later...

The best places I can think of, closest to OZ, to get Argentine wine would probably be Singapore. Next bet in the region would be Hong Kong.

www.terroir.com.ar