• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaffir Lime Leaves

docsconz

Get a suribachi. They do a great job and weigh much less than stone mortars so shipping is reasonable.

They are also great for pulverizing sesame seeds.

suribachi at The Gadget Source

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I found this source for the lime trees. I seem to recall that they can't ship to Arizona, California and Florida though.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ming Tsai has a couple of "Master Recipes" that make delicious use of kaffir lime leaves, including a Tomato-Kaffir Lime Salsa (very good on salmon burgers) and a Soy-Kaffir Lime Syrup in Simply Ming. I believe that the recipes and suggestions for their use are available at simplyming.com. And, if you can't decide amongst all the fabulous choices people have given you, they do freeze beautifully.

Ming Tsai has a couple of "Master Recipes" that make delicious use of kaffir lime leaves, including a Tomato-Kaffir Lime Salsa (very good on salmon burgers) and a Soy-Kaffir Lime Syrup in Simply Ming. 

I was just surfing around his site last week and was in awe at the number of chefs who have guest-cooked with Ming on his TV cooking shows.

"Soy–Kaffir Lime Syrup"

"Tomato–Kaffir Lime Salsa"

Note that on the left side of the web page are links to respective recipes using these kaffir leave sauces.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I use leaves off my lime tree.  They are noticably oilier than those which I see in the store, and those which are frozen.  They also have a more intense lime flavor.

How do you obtain/keep this tree alive in Minneapolis?

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I use leaves off my lime tree.  They are noticably oilier than those which I see in the store, and those which are frozen.  They also have a more intense lime flavor.

How do you obtain/keep this tree alive in Minneapolis?

Weather permitting, it sits in it's pot in the middle of my garden. Weather not permitting, it sits in the sun room, which is very warm, very sunny and a wonderful place to grow. Just ask my kids!

Weather outside or inside, water frequently.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Get a suribachi.  They do a great job and weigh much less than stone mortars so shipping is reasonable. 

They are also great for pulverizing sesame seeds.

suribachi at The Gadget Source

that's been my grinder of choice for several years now - just had an urge for one of the big puppies for some heavy pulverizing, and I get a bit frustrated trying to get all the last little dibs and dabs out of the suribachi's ribs

I made the chicken.

I cut it into parts and let the minced leaves and peanut oil marinate the chicken for about three hours. I did leave the skin on. I broiled the chicken in the oven. The final product was good, but I would do some things a little differently. The leaves left plenty of flavor, although thee was a trace of bitterness too. I didn't add salt to the chicken to marinade. That was a mistake. With a little salt and without the bit of bitterness it would have been excellent. Any thoughts on the bitterness?

Hi John

You may have used a ratio of too many fine cut leaves to chicken?

Or the direct heat from the boiler may have overcooked a few?

We like it with a lot of lime flavour, so could be the fault of my instructions too.

We usually eat it with sweet chili dipping sauce so that may offset the bitterness.

I still think it's best to bbq it too.

Perhaps you could add a tablespoon or so of brown or cane sugar to the mix next time?

Let me know how the experiment continues for you. :biggrin:

CM