• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Indian Valentine day menu

Monica Bhide

what a great idea!

does achaya or other historians have any ancient indian

discussions or dish-cussions on foods considered aphrodisiac?

or vatsyanana?

or some insights from ayurveda?

here's some links i found via google:

http://www.shaadi.com/wedding/kitchen/chef...-spice-up-2.php

http://www.tastingplaces.com/html/HandsOn.asp

(about halfway down this page there is a description of

a class by UK chef monisha bhardwaj, of a valentine's day

menu.

do tell us what you come up with, and whether the shiv sena

has anything to say about it :wink:

sudha

Thanks you all. Since the classes got listed in Bon Appetit, I have been overwhlemed with requests for custom classes and this was one of them. I will let you know what I come up with. I found a great book by Jiggs Kalra on Indian aphrodiasiac foods :laugh: -- let me see if I can make something from that,

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I have been getting many requests to set up cooking classes for couples and am thinking of doing one for valentine's day.. what would you suggest I teach?

:smile:

Off the top of my head, Kofta making could be somewhat romantic. Somewthing sugary (Payasam?) is a requisite and to rush the blood to the lips something spicy....something with Brinjals is my choice.

does achaya or other historians have any ancient indian

discussions or dish-cussions on foods considered aphrodisiac?

or vatsyanana?

i've been slowly reading my way through achaya's dictionary.

aphrodisiacs in "C" include:

Coconut flowers and Crocodile omelettes.

This should be an interesting class.

Suggested menu:

Welcome drink: Rangeen Thandaai (laced with bhaang)

Appetizer: Bhaang ke Pakore

Main course: Arbi ke kebab (laced with Shilajit)

Pistay ka salan (chicken breast in rich curry of pista, badam and swarn bhasm(edible gold dust)

Dum ki biryani with saffron, motidana (stimulant seed) and covered with silver and gold leaf

Dessert: Jauzi halwa (made from sprouted wheat kernels which are known to get aphrodisiac qualities from the morning dewdrops when the wheat is germinating) topped with gold leaf

Aftermint: Nawaabi Paan ki Gilauri (Sweet paan leaf with supaari, elaichi, saunf, laung, coconut, gulkand, and a dusting of gold powder)

I am not sure though, how many couples will be paying attention after a couple of welcome drinks.. :wink::wink:

Man !!! I am hungry now..

Edited by deliad (log)

Suggested menu:

Pistay ka salan (chicken breast in rich curry of pista, badam and swarn bhasm(edible gold dust)

Dum ki biryani with saffron, motidana (stimulant seed) and covered with silver and gold leaf

Dessert: Jauzi halwa (made from sprouted wheat kernels which are known to get aphrodisiac qualities from the morning dewdrops when the wheat is germinating) topped with gold leaf

Aftermint: Nawaabi Paan ki Gilauri (Sweet paan leaf with supaari, elaichi, saunf, laung, coconut, gulkand, and a dusting of gold powder)

I am not sure though, how many couples will be paying attention after a couple of welcome drinks.. :wink:  :wink:

Deliad,

You are brilliant, if this was a contest you'd have won the first prize!

Adding to the list:

Parsee doodh na puff

and how can we forget the ever popular bollywood formula -

Suhag Raat (wedding night )Pista Badam Milk :laugh:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Suggested menu:

I am not sure though, how many couples will be paying attention after a couple of welcome drinks.. :wink:  :wink:

Did i mention it had to be legal

:laugh:

Nice work

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Don't forget lots of mouth fresheners, for "kissing sweet" breath after all the spicy food!  :)

That is why the last suggested item on the menu is "Paan"

You have to experience one in order to feel and appreciate how fresh your mouth feels and to kiss after that.... is another story altogether...

Many Indo/Pak stores in the DC area sell material for making Paan, starting with fresh leaves, Gulkand (rose petal jam) and everything that goes into it. Try it if you can.

PM me if you need details.