• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taro

menton1

For some reason this long established restaruant in Montclair has escaped us here at Egullet. The menu online sounds very creative, I was wondering if anybody has been here and has some opinions and reviews about the place. The decor looks pretty on the web site as well, but that could be falsely flattering also.

Thanks!

We eat at Taro every couple months. The food is quite good and service is fine - not warm and friendly, but competent. It's somewhat pricey, which is probably why we don't eat here more frequently. They do a couple things really well - esp. a sesame tofu w/spinach that's very nicely sized for an appetizer - and shrimp in a pistachio crust that my husband always orders. I don't know what it is about Taro that keeps them off the radar screen. Go and let us know what you think!

I have eaten at Taro's a couple of times. The first time I brought a friend for her Birthday. We both ordered fish (I forget which kind), which tasted funny. We brought it up to the server who gave us some kooky explanation. We ate it anyway and both had upset stomachs (I know, stupid). I called management who graciously gave me a comp. dinner. I went with two friends the next time and had appetizers and dinner. They both had the encrusted shrimp, and I had a chicken dish. The appetizers and salad were very good. The shrimp was very good. My chicken was just okay. The service was just okay. I know the 3 strikes rule, but after 2, I would not run back again. I miss 28 next store!!

Ate at Taro last night, was wonderful, can't understand why it doesn't get more play here.

A beautiful interior, lots of wood, and bamboo branches separating the dining area from the open kitchen. Very high ceilings, very airy feeling inside. Large, large tables, we were 4 at a round table that could have easily seated 6 or 7. Real linen tablecloths changed every sitting. Service was friendly and attentive. Very interesting Asian fusion choices on the menu, makes it hard to choose! A nice list of specials as well.

Our starters included a crispy soft shell crab, cooked perfectly, with a wonderful sesame-ginger dipping sauce. The Asian pear salad was quite large, with goat cheese, baby lettuces, and a very interesting lemon vinaigrette.

Main courses were a wonderful; Chilean Sea Bass, served in a thick slice place vertically on the plate (don't know how they make it stand up!) with a terrific black bean sauce and steamed broccoli. The Fliet Mignon was cooked perfectly, with a great stir-fry of veggies and a really interesting taro (of course) preparation in a wasabi sauce. The tangerine duck was super-crispy yet moist, with a terrific sauce, and the Pan-seared Pork in 5 spice powder was wonderful served with sauteed spinach wrapped around a scoop of rice.

We were all too full for dessert, but we lingered over coffee in the pretty environment. Will certainly be returning, so many other dishes that sound wonderful, must try them. In the meantime, I highly recommend this restaurant to the other NJ ites who love Asian food with a difference!

(P.S. to Rosie-- It's a BYOB...)

Oh, and here's the Web Site

Edited by menton1 (log)

taro was hot years ago. it has definitely cooled down, and now it flies under the radar.

the whole asian-fusion/pan-asian thing has played out during that time imo. i'm more likely to go to the various vietnamese, thai, and chinese restaurants in the area if i want any of the styles they're serving.

that said, i always thought the place was fun and decent. not challenging or earth shattering, that's for sure. good with a group. maybe i'll return for lunch.

main page of website.

taro was hot years ago.  it has definitely cooled down, and now it flies under the radar.

The restaurant was full on a Sunday night in late August, even with many folks on vacation.

i'm glad they're still doing well even though they're under the radar and not getting much play.

to clarify, the buzz was "hot". it's simply not now. the food seems to be what it was. those who went back in the 90's have probably, like me, moved on to other places. obviously it has retained a fanbase or else it wouldn't be open.

I think Taro has new owners which may be why they are busier now. We went there 3-4 times years ago when they first opened and then wrote the place off. Was never impressed with the food or the amateurish service.We had to ask for water, specials were recited without the prices, silverware was not replaced between courses and the waiter told us that the kitchen would not split any items. But from what I am reading here it is worth a revisit.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 4 months later...

The last time I went was in the Spring. I had a tuna filet that was a bit fishy. I haven't been back since.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Since the movie theatre was directly across the street, I decided to stay with dining at Taro.

I was extremely impressed with the decor. It's striking; very NYC ish. I was NOT, however, impressed by the food.

The an appetizer we ordered Mussels. It consisted of about 10 New Zealand Mussels in a nice Black Bean Sauce.

Next up was a Pear and Goat Cheese Salad. It was comprised of Mesclun Salad topped with Asian Pears and shavings of Goat Cheese. I've never had a goat cheese that could be shaved, but it was a nice tart complement to the salad. The citrus dressing, however, lacked flavor. It was as very thin, and it almost crossed my mind that they forgot to add the oil.. :unsure:

For entrees we shared Peking Duck and Pecan Crusted Shrimp over jasmine rice. Both the duck and the shrimp were overcooked and dry.

We were pressed for time, so we did not stay for dessert.

Service was attentive, and not hovering.

A lot of money went into the design of this restaurant. They now need to focus more on the food.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Yes, a beautiful interior, not so great food. We ate here a couple of years ago, and ordered the fish special. The fish tasted a little funny and I told the waitress. She had some explanation for it, and we continued to eat it, although not thrilled. We both were not feeling well the next day. I called, and they graciously offered a free dinner. I went with two friends, and they ordered the encrusted shrimp, and I ordered a chicken dish. We had a salad as an app. Salad was great, the shriimp were good, the chicken was bad. Never went back.

• 4 months later...

We drove over to Montclair yesterday afternoon for their alleged Sidewalk Sale, which they'd been promoting for weeks. It was pretty much a bust. Granted, there was a VERY brief shower just as we hit the corner of Grove & Chestnut; it was over less than 5 minutes later, by the time we'd parked, but at 4:00 it may have been enough for most of the merchants to pack up their wares & put them back indoors. Still, there wasn't much evidence of anything having been there before that bit of rain, beyond a few of the stores on Church St. that kept stuff out.

Anyway, I want to give Taro all due credit for keeping their outdoor dim sum table up & running. (This was there especially for the Sidewalk Sale, it's not their regular MO.) From the Sale flyers, I'd expected dozens of outdoor food stands, but Taro was the only game in town, & I was famished at that point.

Good veggie dumplings, excellent shrimp & leek dumplings. I was pleased & revitalised & am feeling well disposed towards Taro right now. Should the occasion arise, I'd try them for more dim sum or a full meal.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 years later...