• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

spanish fig bread

Does anyone know how to make this fig bread? All it has in it is figs, nuts, honey, and spices. It's really good, but expensive at the store I go to, and I thought it'd be fun to make it myself. My store now carries Matiz apricot bread, too, but I haven't tried it....

Edited by beccaboo (log)

Does anyone know how to make this fig bread?  All it has in it is figs, nuts, honey, and spices.  It's really good, but expensive at the store I go to, and I thought it'd be fun to make it myself.  My store now carries Matiz apricot bread, too, but I haven't tried it....

I sent a post to the Spanish forum below, check on it you may get an answer.

Polack

Does anyone know how to make this fig bread?  All it has in it is figs, nuts, honey, and spices.  It's really good, but expensive at the store I go to, and I thought it'd be fun to make it myself.  My store now carries Matiz apricot bread, too, but I haven't tried it....

You can also make up a dough as you want and knead the figs into it. It would be good with brioche, I think.

Here is a recipe, but it is in Spanish. Maybe someone can translate it for you. My Spanish is very rusty.

Pan de Higo

Thank you! It looks like you just prepare everything (stem the figs, toast the almonds), then grind it all up together (there's a little brandy to wet it as well as the honey) and form it into little loaves. Then I guess you just let it dry out. I don't speak Spanish at all, thou, so I may be missing something. I'll have to try it, and see how it turns out.

Does anyone know how to make this fig bread? All it has in it is figs, nuts, honey, and spices. It's really good, but expensive at the store I go to, and I thought it'd be fun to make it myself

I too have eaten this bread and thought it was fantastic. Please keep up posted on the results of your experiemnt as my spanish is non existant.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Here's a quick-and-dirty translation of the recipe linked above....'cause now I want to make it, too. :biggrin:

Anything in brackets, I added, but the original text is pretty straightforward. If I translated something wrong (which I'm sure I did), sorry! :unsure:

I'm sure someone else out there has a better translation, and a sense of quantities. And knows what "matalauva" is.

“This transcription is from my grandmother’s recipe.

Clean the dried figs, remove the stem, and mince them in the food processor.

Toast the almonds and grind them [separately from the figs] in the blender / food processor.

Mix the almonds with the figs, adding dried clove (very little; 2-3 cloves for 1 kilo of figs), a bit of oats/granola ["y de matalauva"??], and a bit of cinnamon.

To hold the mix together, add a bit of brandy and honey.

Mix together well [i don’t think this part has to be done in the blender / processor], and make rounds or loaves, using a floured surface. Let dry a bit.

The author says, “I can’t give quantities because my grandmother measured everything ‘by eye,’ as she used to say. They keep well. My grandmother Ana made them in winter-- that’s when figs and almonds were in season—and made enough loaves to last until the next year. Really, the figs and almonds can be minced/chopped with any kitchen tool.”

Um, yeah, hmm. The baking part......no mention of that.

Edited by Rehovot (log)

• 1 year later...
Um, yeah, hmm. The baking part......no mention of that.

[/quote

]

This is not baked, but put in a mold, weighted down to compress, and left in a cool, dry place for 3-4 days, until completely compressed and dense. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry, but ajonjolí are sesame seeds, not granola nor oats. Maybe it's a recipe out there that uses that kind of ingredients, but that's not what this recipe says. You translated the rest of the recipe perfectly.

Another thing you must to be aware is that the brandy must have as many sugar as possible.

Here in Spain, people use to buy the pan de higo made, it's unusual to make it youself.