• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local Heroes: Favorite Neighborhood Eateries

One place I do like is the Crammon Inn, as it has quite good food, good beer and an interesting setting.

Adam, in the Hotel I mentioned above they have a quite astonishing setting. The hotel sits high on a hillside with unparralleled views down the Firth of Clyde. They have a restaurent built in an old glass house to the right of the Hotel and it is an almost perfect place to sit and eat a meal. The view is breathtaking in daylight and at night you could sit and watch the ships sail up between the dancing lights of Wemyss Bay and Dunoon.

Yes, you guessed it, they don't bother to use it...

Interesting settings are not amongst our problems.

Oh, and Tony is absolutely, definitely right on New Tayyab.

Delighted to have introduced yet more egulleters to the delights of New Tayyab. Those of us who were there with S Plotnicki on Sunday night waited with bated breath until he mumbled "this is good" through a mouthful of sikhi kebab.

Phew. Relief and jubilation all round and much merriment made.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

Interesting settings are not amongst our problems.

Would be funny if it wasn't so sad. On weekend in Islay we spent two hours looking for a pub that sold seafood, gave up in the end and went to a pub next to the docks. Watched two refrigerated lorries come of the ferry, drive 100 metres to the dock, load up with all the seafood, then get back onto the ferry, ready to haul it all away to Spain.

Did go to a pub in Inverary (sp?) with very good food though (The George).

Part of my reason for starting the Elitism thread, was because I felt I may be missing somthing in peoples attitudes to food in the UK, given how lowly food is prioritised in Scotland.

Dear Scottish chef,

From an expat scot. Please tell me the name of the finely situated hotel so i can take my mammy and daddy the next time I go home. And the chef?

And the New Tayyab is where I take them when they come down and they say each time "that's the best curry we have ever had hen" and like many Scots, they have been eating curry for 30 years.

Ok, time to stop lurking and put my two pennies worth in.

Two resturants that I like as local resturants are Armadillo and Little Georgia, both on Broadway Market in Hackney. Brazilian and Georgian cusine respectively, and neither is more than 5 minutes from the Dove pub, which is also pretty good.

Not really local to me as I'm in the culinary desert that is Tottenham Hale, but worth a mention as I've had decent meals at both for about 30-35 quid a head including wine. (Actually given the location that should problably be culinary marsh...)

Dave