• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Israel Trip Report

Ore

I've read that if one has a stamp from Israel in their passport that one is not allowed to enter Arab countries w/the exception of Jordan and Egypt. Anyone confirm?

This is true, at least for the welcoming sheiks in Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi Tourism website stated several months ago that "No Jewish person or person with an Israeli stamp on his or her passport may enter the Kingdom (sic)." When the Wall Street Journal publicized this fact online, the Saudis quickly amended their website (though not their policies, I'm sure), now stating on their site that, "The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's visa regulations are available at the Kingdom's Consulates. When erroneous information was noticed on SCT's website, it was removed. SCT regrets any inconvenience this may have caused.

How did such "erroneous" information land on their website? Hmmm. The Zionist conspiracy, perhaps? :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I've read that if one has a stamp from Israel in their passport that one is not allowed to enter Arab countries w/the exception of Jordan and Egypt. Anyone confirm?

This is true, at least for the welcoming sheiks in Saudi Arabia.

Thanks Fresser, no plans for Saudi Arabia anytime soon but was planning on Dubai in the UAE sometime w/in the next 8 months.

I also just realized that this is a non-issue for me. I'm getting a new passport shortly as my visa pages ran out on my last international trip, so I'm going to get a new passport rather than having pages added as the passport expires in August anyways. The new passport obviously won't have the Israel visa stamps!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I'm not sure the visa questions are on-topic for this thread (and if this thread is split, I will edit this post), but remember that you can always ask to have the stamp on a separate piece of paper, rather than your passport.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm not sure the visa questions are on-topic for this thread (and if this thread is split, I will edit this post), but remember that you can always ask to have the stamp on a separate piece of paper, rather than your passport.

separate paper thing may work in some countries but not the ones I visited recently as I was trying to avert the need for new pages or obtaining a new passport.

If you feel you need to split this thread and form a new one, feel free. The forum is Restaurants, Cuisine, and Travel so I didn't think I was too far off base.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I especially appreciate the pictures of the sweets. They make me homesick for the North African pastry shops in France. I know I can get them here in the States but they don't taste the same to me. Nice report.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com