• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All-You-Can-Eat Buffets: friend or foe?

Gifted Gourmet

But the only commercial buffet I hit with any regularity is the Lady and Sons in Savannah.  The food there (mac and cheese, greens, black-eyed peas, etc.) stands up well to a buffet, and the restaurant is so crowded, with such high turnover, that fried chicken and other more delicate foods are continually being replaced.  But that's definitely an exception to the otherwise sorry, sorry world of buffets.

I had seen a long television piece on Lady and Sons and their exceptionally good buffet ... it looked like something I would add to my list of places to try in Savannah ...

:hmmm: As someone once said:

"Life is like a buffet; it's not good but there's plenty of it"

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Buffets: Piss Poor most of the time. Exceptional at the Banff Springs hotel. All sorts of Wild game, all sorts of smoked fish..delicious.

Indian Buffet, from time to time, not bad. Many of them suck though.

Strategy: I learned this from a server friend who catered to japanese tourists regularly. If there's at least a group of four, each person maximizes their value by picking up a plate of one item, and that itme had better be expensive because most of the starches and salads will have been compiled from meals earlier in the week. So one guy brings a plate of the hot roast beef, another a plate of rabbit, etc. Then you can take a small plate for yourself of whatever veggies or other items you desire.

Not only will you be full in a reasonable amount of time (expensive = meat, fish and protein) but you'll eat in a much more friendly and communal fashion.

People here have mentioned buffets at home - always good in my opinion, and in restaurants (chain buffets are bad, Indian buffets are good).

But no one has mentioned buffets in another context : weddings (and catered events in general). Here, buffets are always a good thing. Given that wedding food is always abysmal (except at Chinese weddings)....

Ah, but the exception... I wish you could have been at my (non-Chinese) wedding -- it always helps to have a friend/chef/CIA grad as both guest and caterer. Apps = stuffed grape leaves + grapes rolled in Boursin and pistachios; Soup = gazpacho (made by me); Entree = cold poached salmon with 2 sauces (ginger remoulade and yogurt dill) + couscous w/veggies; Dessert = wedding cake = three-tiered chocolate cheesecake decorated with edible Hawaiian orchids (also made by me).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I am sort of mixed on the buffet thing. I rarely do it, as I do tend to over eat and ultimately regret the whole experience. Sure I *could* control myself.

Probably the most vile buffets are pizza buffets. I've never gone to one of these on my own accord, usually its been with a co-worker. Unless you get a slice of the pie the minute its set out on the counter--forget about it--and then people are like vultures.

Some friends of mine swear by the buffet at the "Golden Corral" aka "the Feedbag" as the ultimate hangover cure. Of course they are all 6_ft tall males with enormous appetites.

As previous people have mentioned, Indian buffets are generally good. The Chinese buffets I've encountered are usually pretty hardcore--each one boasting more items than anther "Kung Pao Chicken AND Chicken Fingers and Mussels AND Jalepeno Poppers."

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Noone mentioned my favorite reason to go to a buffet: Get the littles ones in and out quickly without a long wait for food. Plus it's usually a reduced price for children. They can try a bunch of different tastes and keep busy long enough for the parents to eat something and it's certainly not too formal a place to bring children.

I enjoy a good indian buffet too- I can have some raita, and sample the entrees and dessert for a great price. Amber India in San Jose, oh so tasty and quick (see children and need for speed above.) :smile:

Edited by kellycolorado (log)

But the only commercial buffet I hit with any regularity is the Lady and Sons in Savannah.  The food there (mac and cheese, greens, black-eyed peas, etc.) stands up well to a buffet, and the restaurant is so crowded, with such high turnover, that fried chicken and other more delicate foods are continually being replaced.  But that's definitely an exception to the otherwise sorry, sorry world of buffets.

I had seen a long television piece on Lady and Sons and their exceptionally good buffet ... it looked like something I would add to my list of places to try in Savannah ...

Yah, there are better restaurants in Savannah, but the Lady's buffet is a good place to try a whole bunch of your Southern favorites. (Actually, the Savannah Golf Club has a buffet that is-- or at least can be, it isn't always-- better than the Lady's. But you need to know a member...)

Probably the most vile buffets are pizza buffets... Unless you get a slice of the pie the minute its set out on the counter--forget about it--and then people are like vultures.

So, let me summarize some of what we have learned here:

Buffets to avoid are those with pizza, dried-out food, too much cheap food, and those where trays are not refreshed regularly ... :hmmm:

Good buffets are those at Chinese weddings :laugh: and Indian places and where there is a lot of easy to reach protein ... :wink:

And, if you are ever in Savannah, Lady & Sons for authentic Southern cuisine ...

Great input everyone! :biggrin:

I have to disagree about Pizza Buffets, I used to really love the Pizza Hut PIzza Buffet, but then again, I love pizza hut pizza. The pan pizza style slices really stand up well to the extended time under heating lamps, thick crust is the way to go here, doesn't get soggy, just extra flavorful.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Given my current situation as the caregiver for my elderly parents whose digestive systems can no longer tolerate spicy foods, I find I appreciate buffets a lot more. When I eat out, I'm by myself, so there's no 'trading tastes with tablemates' opportunities. And I am always trying to hurry home to be sure everything's okay, and I can get through a buffet pretty rapidly.

I've found a good Chinese one, and a good Indian one. Don't do "American" style, like "Hometown Buffet."

Although I can tell you that the Thanksgiving Buffet at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco was a fabulous event that I'd do over and over and over again. If I could.

And then I'd do it some more.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Although I can tell you that the Thanksgiving Buffet at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco was a fabulous event that I'd do over and over and over again.  If I could.

And then I'd do it some more.

Some of the really special hotel brunch buffets and special holiday buffets are quite elaborate and well worth the steep prices. For them, there is a special category: bountiful and highly creative buffets. They are hardly in the rank-and-file of the genre! :laugh:

• 7 months later...

I'm so disheartened. A friend has enlisted me to recommend places to eat in Las Vegas. I urge her to check out Thomas Keller's restaurant there, Bouchon, along with a few other places not to be missed.

According to her latest blackberry messages, the all-you-can-eat buffets are "awesome."

... they had different chefs at stations making fish, pasta, beef, pork, etc.
No evidence of Thomas Keller on the horizon.

How much can a person eat for mercy's sake?

Why don't the buffets just go away? What is the point of them? How are we supposed to educate and encourage friends and relatives to refine their palates when they succumb to the evil all-you-can-eat buffet?

Edited by shelora (log)

Because some like to eat enormous quantities of food as much as (if not more than) they do the "best" food.

Because the buffets at the Bellagio and the Mirage have pretty decent stuff, and enough of it to satisfy every gourmand.

Because the buffet allows you to sample a greater variety of dishes than what you could get ordering a la carte.

How are we supposed to educate and encourage friends and relatives to refine their palates when they succumb to the evil all-you-can-eat buffet?

Don't just tell them where to go-- take them. Your treat. I totally revamped my boyfriend's eating habits that way.

I rarely buffet, but generally I believe you get what you pay for. If you go to a $5 Chinese or pizza buffet its garbage, nothing worth eating stay far far away.

Now for the however if you go to a $12-14 Chinese high quality lunch seafood buffet or Indian or a $25 dinner buffet the food is ok. In fact here in Dallas there are a couple of Chinese buffets that are very passable.

Of course there were not many mentions of the venerable Sunday lunch buffets at the 4 star+ hotels. These generally range from $50 to $75 and often are quite good.

There are also other specialty type buffets like the Courtyard of the Two sisters Jazz brunch, truly great food and one heck of a value.

Now all this being said all of these are indulgences and only can be done once a month or two. Being already overweight, it's far to easy to eat to much without noticing at any of these, but that's another thread.

Never trust a skinny chef

That which can sit in a steam bath for hours is that which one should eat at a hot buffet, methinks, and there's not much on that list. Having said that, a really good cold food bar seems a far more likely candidate for decent buffet fare.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Most buffets are pretty poor (exceptions, fancy hotel brunches and indian). But what about family style dining? To me its close enough to a buffet. A lot of variety and the all you can eat concept is the same. But as opposed to a buffet, I've had many more positive experiences at family style dining places (and the prices have been really reasonable).

I remember a place in Jackson, MS that was amazing for lunch (except I could never work after eating there, I just wanted a nap). I just cannot remember the name of the place.

I hit our local brunch buffet about twice a year. The ladies in my peer group celebrate all of their special occasions at the Sheraton Suites in Cuyahoga Falls. We've celebrated the births of our children and our impending marriages there. Brunch buffet, baby. It's actually pretty good. Very few "prepared" items. It's more a station place... omlette/egg station, carving station, pasta to order station, waffle station, etc. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it. It's always been very good to me.

That said... this is Ohio. We have plenty of "country" buffets. Country Buffet, Golden Corral, Ryan's, etc. If you get me into one of those places you can bet that the only thing that I'm going to eat is ice cream. Come on... you can't expect me to pass on the SUNDAE BAR!!! :laugh:

Edited to say that yes, I will pay $8 for all-you-can-eat ice cream. Shut up.

Edited by lesfen (log)