• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal California Wine Fair 2005

Does anyone know if/when the California Wine Fair is making its stop in Montreal this year? I checked the CalWine web site but there's nothing new on there since they posted the pics from last year's event. I'm less than a week back from a two-week stint in California and I'm already missing their sun-drenched juice...

Does anyone know if/when the California Wine Fair is making its stop in Montreal this year? I checked the CalWine web site but there's nothing new on there since they posted the pics from last year's event. I'm less than a week back from a two-week stint in California and I'm already missing their sun-drenched juice...

According to www.tonyaspler.com, the Montreal date for 2005 and the venue details are as follows:

California Wine Fair

April 21, 2005 (Trade tasting by invitation only; Consumer tasting, 7–9:30 p.m., Le Windsor Hotel, Montreal)

More info: Rick Slomka, California Wine Institute, 905-336-8932, rick.slomka@sympatico.ca

Apparently, Quebec City's venue details are to be confirmed. The date set for that city is April 20th.

Hope that helps! :smile:

cava_girl

Edited by cava_girl (log)

Thanks CavaGirl! I also got an email today from a lady at CalWine confirming that it was on for the 21st of April at the Windsor.

You're welcome, ademello. :smile:

I'm glad to hear that the info on the Tony Aspler site was correct. I'm surprised that the official site for the wine fair doesn't have any '05 dates posted yet, but I guess they'll be changing that soon...now that they've confirmed it.

Enjoy!

cava_girl

Edited by cava_girl (log)

• 3 months later...

So did anyone go last night? I was disappointed to see that there were no new producers (to the Quebec market), no cult or even interesting wines, and hardly anything that was not available at the SAQ or worthy or private import. Turnout seemed to be the same as last year, but given the paucity of selection the private importing sales seemed to be nil. For Carswell and the other Pinot lovers on here, there was a fair bit of California Pinot to taste, but nothing remarkable or worthy of any special attention. I was really saddened to see that many of the promoters declined to pour any of their more interesting or pricey wines.

I was also disappointed to learn that there was a Napa Wine tasting event at Marche Bonsecours last week. Did anyone else know about this? Was there any advertising anywhere?! You would think that events like these would be posted and promoted on this board.

I was also disappointed to learn that there was a Napa Wine tasting event at Marche Bonsecours last week. Did anyone else know about this? Was there any advertising anywhere?! You would think that events like these would be posted and promoted on this board.

I received the Napa invitation via the Courrier Vinicole, but a conflict in the schedule meant no participation. Well, that and what I recall was a $300/person entry fee.

I attended the Marche Bonsecour tasting, and it was marvelous! I too had zero knowledge of this event until the very last minute. I had the pleasure of meeting Carol Cakebread the night prior to the tasting (a total fluke), and she very nicely invited me to the trade tasting which ran until 4:30 pm. A lovely event, not too big... with 25 Napa wineries showcasing their wines. A lot of them were new to Quebec and hoping to score some interest for importation (among them Peju and Corison). As a result, the actual owners of many wineries were present, and each winery had their best juice on hand to impress. That same night, the tasting was open to the public from 7 to 9pm. I did not attend, nor do i know anyone who did, but I can't fathom a $300 cover fee! :shock: I missed the Windsor tasting, but heard it was very blah... did anyone go?

Hmm... I subscribe to the Courrier Vinicole (English version). Still smarting that I didn't get an invite, $300 admission fee or not. Mlle Tatin do you know if any of the Napa wineries were actively accepting orders for private import or were they shopping for distributor/promoters?