• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casa Camper in BCN

AmyH

I am a sucker for a new hotel and shoe maker Camper just opened a 25 room ultramodern boutique hotel in what has been described as Barcelona's "up-and-coming El Raval neighborhood." How would those on the ground describe this neighborhood? Even better, any reports on the hotel itself?

This used to be called the Barrio Chino - the most downtrodden, dangerous, petty crime- and prostitution-infested neighborhood in central Barcelona, around the Ramblas. But very atmospheric. Over the past 20 years a classic gentrification process has been taking place while the name was changed to Raval, and while not yet completely transformed, à la Times Square, the area is quite different. But pockets of poverty remain. More about it in the Fundació Tot Raval's web page.

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

I've stayed with a friend in El Raval every time I've visited Barcelona for the past four years. That place is just a few blocks from Casa Camper. That part of El Raval is very safe. I've walked around there alone in the middle of the night and never even been asked for money. There are some prostitutes around, but that's about it. I don't think there is any danger whatsoever there. The lower part of El Raval down by the Ramblas del Raval which is the old Barrio Chino is a little less safe but I would say it's still not bad. I think the location of this hotel is great and I wouldn't worry about the neighborhood at all. You're very close to the Boqueria and to lots of good bars and restaurants in the area.

I am a sucker for a new hotel and shoe maker Camper just opened a 25 room ultramodern boutique hotel in what has been described as Barcelona's "up-and-coming El Raval neighborhood." How would those on the ground describe this neighborhood? Even better, any reports on the hotel itself?

As tjd says, this is the "upper" Raval which is much nicer than the lower part, and the hotel seems to se around the corner from the Macba and CCCB museums. The area in general is quite safe and very close to other main tourist points, i.e. 4 blocks from Plaza Catalunya. However the whole area, as Victor points out, is going through a gentrification process, blending together hot and trendy new restaurants and bars, halal butcher shops, pakistani restaurants, prostitution zones, etc. You'll find pickpockets in the Rambla de Raval, but nothing to worry about if you use some common sense and keep an eye on your belongings (as you would anywhere you travel, I guess). If you're familiar with New York I would say it is more Lower East Side than it is Soho.

Will you feel safe/unsafe? I guess it's a personal matter. I've walked through the neighborhood at night many times without ever feeling threatened, but I know my wife feels quite uneasy, and I've had "odd" encounters every now and then with drunks and such.

Would I stay at the hotel? Definitely (I'm a huge Camper fan!). But it boils down to how comfortable you feel in these situations.

Hope it helps,

Silly.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

As tjd says, this is the "upper" Raval which is much nicer than the lower part, and the hotel seems to se around the corner from the Macba and CCCB museums. The area in general is quite safe and very close to other main tourist points, i.e. 4 blocks from Plaza Catalunya. However the whole area, as Victor points out, is going through a gentrification process, blending together hot and trendy new restaurants and bars, halal butcher shops, pakistani restaurants, prostitution zones, etc. You'll find pickpockets in the Rambla de Raval, but nothing to worry about if you use some common sense and keep an eye on your belongings (as you would anywhere you travel, I guess). If you're familiar with New York I would say it is more Lower East Side than it is Soho.

Will you feel safe/unsafe? I guess it's a personal matter. I've walked through the neighborhood at night many times without ever feeling threatened, but I know my wife feels quite uneasy, and I've had "odd" encounters every now and then with drunks and such.

Would I stay at the hotel? Definitely (I'm a huge Camper fan!). But it boils down to how comfortable you feel in these situations.

Hope it helps,

Silly.

We have also heard about the new Camper hotel mentioned in Food and Wine or Gourmet. Little significant information was included about the range of rates but they appeared to be high. High rates for us are 350 euros.

The rates in the newest Barcelona hotels are high; like the unique architectural modernista gem turned elegant hotel, Casa Fuster on the Passeig de Gracia and the H R Neri 21 room hotel beautifully decorated, on Sant Sever near the Old town cathedral. The latter is raising rates in excess of our budget. Furthermore, we ate at their tiny, tony restaurant. I got miserably sick from the food; my husband fared better. We would stay at the hotel but not at their 2005 rates. Our stay at the Casa Fuster was at discounted, promotional prices, fortunately. Both the hotel and restuarant are worth the price for at least ONE night. There is no more spectacular modernista architectural gem turned hotel in Barcelona!!

Now we have found an elegant newcomer on the Passeig de Gracia which is both a beautifully renovated combination of old and new: the Prestige Paseo de Gracia. In some rooms you have a wonderful view of Casa Batlo and other architectural marvels known as the Manzana de la Discordia. The rates are reasonable and the service is exceptional. Now this thread is about Barcelona's newest hotels. So the Camper is a delightful addition for the Barcelona visitor, but is it worth the visit?? Judith Gebhart

We have also heard about the new Camper hotel mentioned in Food and Wine or Gourmet. Little significant information was included about the range of rates but they appeared to be high. High rates for us are 350 euros.

the hotel's website actually quotes 175/245EUR as their price range.

So the Camper is a delightful addition for the Barcelona visitor, but is it worth the visit?? Judith Gebhart

Casa Camper was designed by Fernando Amat, of Vinçon fame, a respected designer and a great store.

I haven't been in Casa Camper, but I think of Camper as a clever, innovative and stylish brand with has had great success, given they started as a small shoe company in Majorca and now they are a household name in Spain and quite possibly Europe. So while it might not be the best value, I think its definitely worth the visit.

Silly.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

OK, there's something I don't quite understand. Is this Camper hotel a 'theme' hotel about shoes or something? Or is it only that Camper happens to own the hotel?

Many thanks in advance for your clarification. Cheers,

Luis

the latter. You can say they have a "theme" in their philosophy, ie recycle not build from scratch, renewable / clean energy and materials, etc.

They own a restaurant also in the Raval which offers vegetarian food, I think.

Silly.

the hotel's website actually quotes 175/245EUR as their price range.

So the Camper is a delightful addition for the Barcelona visitor, but is it worth the visit?? Judith Gebhart

Casa Camper was designed by Fernando Amat, of Vinçon fame, a respected designer and a great store.

I haven't been in Casa Camper, but I think of Camper as a clever, innovative and stylish brand with has had great success, given they started as a small shoe company in Majorca and now they are a household name in Spain and quite possibly Europe. So while it might not be the best value, I think its definitely worth the visit.

Silly.

Silly: Thanks for your website for Casa Camper. It is delightful and satisfies our concerns about price. Campers responsible environmental and structural concerns are very admirable. We are supporters of their enlightened position. Thanks. We will include Campers hotel in our choice for special Barcelona hotels we want to visit. We love the shoes; especially when they are on sale. Judith Gebhart

Omigod. :sad:

Omigod indeed. Apparently (I'm retelling what my wife has told me), the food is offered as a series of "balls", following their "pelotas" concept, literally balls in Spanish, which is the name of one of the shoe lines. So for instance they have a whole rice and something-or-other ball, a zuchini and potato ball, etc. I promise to take some pictures next time I'm in the area.

Silly.

Silly: Thanks for your website for Casa Camper. It is delightful and satisfies our concerns about price. Campers responsible environmental and structural concerns are very admirable. We are supporters of their enlightened position. Thanks. We will include Campers hotel in our choice for special Barcelona hotels we want to visit. We love the shoes; especially when they are on sale. Judith Gebhart

Judith,

next time you visit Barcelona, if you have a rental car and are headed for Girona or the Costa Brava you can stop at La Roca Outlet (about 35km outside of BCN I think), and get Campers at handsomely discounted prices.

Silly.

edited for typos.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

Omigod. :sad:

Omigod indeed. Apparently (I'm retelling what my wife has told me), the food is offered as a series of "balls", following their "pelotas" concept, literally balls in Spanish, which is the name of one of the shoe lines. So for instance they have a whole rice and something-or-other ball, a zuchini and potato ball, etc. I promise to take some pictures next time I'm in the area.

Silly.

Is this the bizarre (and empty) place which looks a bit like a shoe shop where you sit on a raised series of steps on a mat next to a lamp eating spherical objects?

It is without doubt the least likely to be replicated concept I have ever come across.

Is this the bizarre (and empty) place which looks a bit like a shoe shop where you sit on a raised series of steps on a mat next to a lamp eating spherical objects?

It is without doubt the least likely to be replicated concept I have ever come across.

the wife says yes.

Silly

Thanks for all the responses. Casa Camper quoted us 190E for a double room for July. This includes breakfast and an afternoon snack. Perhaps some of the rice balls that are served in the adjacent restaurant, which I believe is appropriately named foodball ? I like the analogy to lower east side v. Soho. That helps. I have stayed in the Marais in Paris for years, way before it was the hip and trendy area that is has become, and it sounds as this is another close analogy. The price of Casa Camper is pretty much the same as both the Hotel Omm and the Claris. One nice feature of the Omm, since it will be July, is that they have a pool on the roof. I believe the room sizes and decor are going to be similar. Unless I hear some raves about the Camper or some bad news about the Omm, we will likely stay put.

The rest of the trip is shaping up nicely as we found a masia to rent near Banyoles and will also spend a few days at the Torre del Reimi. Now, to narrow down the restaurant choices. El Bulli is out (unless there is a last minute cancellation) but Can Fabes is in. Everything else is lists of possibilities!

The rest of the trip is shaping up nicely as we found a masia to rent near Banyoles and will also spend a few days at the Torre del Reimi. Now, to narrow down the restaurant choices.  El Bulli is out (unless there is a last minute cancellation) but Can Fabes is in. Everything else is lists of possibilities!

We getting off topic from Casa Camper, but I just want to be sure you're considering Can Roca in Girona, or actually the suburbs or outskirts of Girona.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Just stayed at Casa Camper and, although the staff are extremely nice and helpful (not too hard as we seemed to be the only guests in the whole place - though it was monday night in freezing January!) and I do respect their attempts at promoting and following a somewhat 'green' ideology, I have to say I would not recommend it.

The main problem for me was the, at first attractive, idea of including a 'mini-lounge' with each room. The problem is that this mini-lounge (where the tv is) is across the public corridor from the bedroom so you'd have to get dressed or leave behind your modesty if you wanted to hop between bed and lounge. Also the decor of the mini lounge itself was reminiscent of a doctor's waiting room - stark and rather bare, with an enormous intrusive fire escape notice and large plastic map of Barcelona as the only decorations - the map was pretty useless as only about 3 streets were named, not including the one the hotel was on! The bedroom was attractive, though a bit gloomy (the window looks out onto a shaded inner patio) and painted a slightly disturbing deep red. The bed was large and comfortable and the walk-in shower quite luxurious, though there were no extra little toiletry bits, just some standard gel and shampoo. This is probably to be applauded as a green measure, but I feel such sacrifices should be reflected in the price.

The lobby is also rather unwelcoming, though the lack of other human presence didn't help. There's a small room off it where snacks (tiny salads and sandwiches, fruit, crisps etc) and hot and cold soft drinks are laid out all day for you to help yourself as much as you like - a nice idea. I think someone will bring stuff up to your room for you if you ask but it's not made clear. The space in the lobby where you can eat your breakfast, snacks etc has some very uncomfortable metal benches.

There's generally a bit of a puritanical, self-improving air which is all very admirable but seems slightly out of place in a hotel charging 180 euros (I believe) for a double. Which is cheaper than many places but seems expensive for somewhere that wants you to deny yourself the creature comforts and little luxuries that you'd expect in similar hotels. There are signs everywhere extolling the Camper philosophies saying things like - 'take the stairs, not the lift' (elevator), 'inspiration comes from work'.

It's all a bit odd - I think it's an example of form coming before function in the design - a problem that occurs too often in this design-led city.

It's a shame too as it's a lovely old building (though there's no hint of its heritage from inside!) in a great spot and I do generally like the Camper company. I think they'll get a lot of good press because of the 'trendy' factor but I think the fashionistas and hipsters who end up there will be disappointed (though they may appreciate the hard and shiny surfaces :cool: ) and I should think the word of mouth won't be great.

Sorry for taking up so much space on a hotel rather than a food topic. Hope it's of interest!

Saborosa-

Thank you so much for your detailed report. It is extremely helpful to get a first hand account v. the trendy blurb that was in Food & Wine. I do have one question out of curiosity. Is the "mini-lounge" that is across the hall from the hotel bedroom a private lounge that you use your own coded hotel room key to enter or do you share this mini TV lounge with other guests that are on the same floor?

Saborosa-

Is the "mini-lounge" that is across the hall from the hotel bedroom a private lounge  that you use your own coded hotel room key to enter or do you share this mini TV lounge with other guests  that are on the same floor?

Each bedroom has its own private mini lounge opposite and yes you use your keycard to enter. But they are on opposite sides of a 'public' corridor - ie each floor has a corridor off which are the bedrooms on one side and the mini lounges on the other. So to move between bedroom and mini lounge you have to cross this corridor which is used by other guests and hotel staff and you have to remember to have your key card with you.

• 1 month later...

Hey-

Im not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this .. but a few days ago I ate at the FoodBall associated with the Camper hotel in Barcelona. It was what it is .. an organic, healthy type snacky fast food restaurant. I liked the seaweed/tofu and bean rice balls that I had with a curry dipping sauce, but if you dont like organicy, uber-healthy tasting food you probably wouldnt. I was suprised that the balls couldnt be eaten with your hands without falling apart. I probably wouldnt go back, and I really didnt like the dessert ball (tasted like a mushed up Power Bar), but after a week of Jamon y queso I was glad to try it out.

baw, it is the appropiate thread for your post.

A week of jamón y queso? Either you didn't spend time looking for other options, of which you'd have found plenty, or you're a lover of jamón y queso.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

I was exaggerating a little about the whole week ..

but I did go nuts eating ham and cheese when i arrived in Spain :) . Some was my own fault, but for 4 days I was at the observatory on La Palma (Im an astronomer) and had little control over my food. Ham and cheese baguettes were the best offering for night lunch!

I guess the observatory of El Roque de los Muchachos is not the place with the most comprehensive gastronomic offer. Some smoked cheese from La Palma (typically goat cheese), put on the grill for a few seconds and with some mojo verde on top is a simple yet delightful dish.

Not to mention the papas arrugás with the more powerful mojo picón.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)