• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jewel Bako

mikeyrad

Nothing has been written about Jewel Bako in the last month, although questions were raised about chef-changes.  Has it lost its appeal or is it still as respectable?

I don't think it's lost its appeal. I was there on Monday night. I was a bit disappointed that the omakase menu was very similar to last time, but everything was excellent. The one new thing we had was lobster. It was a pound, pound and a half -- they split him down the middle from the midsection down and served the tail as sashimi with the still-live front half as a garnish. I thought it might be a bit too much for me after I said yes we'll try it -- eating something that is still looking at you -- but it turned out to be no big thing. It was delicious, sweet. Squeezing lemon on it caused the flesh to twich, which was a bit disconcerting, but it didn't stop me from eating it. The front half of the lobster came later in the meal as a soup, which I didn't find anywhere near as good.

It was an odd evening, as there were two men at the sushi bar who were a bit tipsy and seemed determined to turn the place into TGI Fridays. They were yelling, making jokes, talking on their cell phones, being generally obnoxious. There was also a young-ish solo diner sitting next to me and my friend who, if it was 1999, I would describe as a dot.com dude (talking about how earlier in the week he'd dropped a grand at Alain Ducasse). He was also constantly on his cell phone. Maybe more than the drunk guys.

Midway through his omakase meal, he pulls Jack over and says how he has to have o-toro, no matter what the cost. Jack tries to tell the guy that he's going to get it as part of the meal, but the guy starts demanding it NOW from the sushi chef. Then the drunk guys chime in that they want o-toro NOW too. The chef obliges, and from then on out they are telling him what they want next. If you've been to Jewel Bako, you know this isn't how it's normally done. With the omakase meal, you're going to get all the great stuff. But these guys... amateurs.

Despite all the chaos, it was a great meal. I think I will wait till I hear the menu has changed to go back, but Jewel Bako remains one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

They were yelling, making jokes, talking on their cell phones, being generally obnoxious. There was also a young-ish solo diner sitting next to me and my friend who, if it was 1999, I would describe as a dot.com dude (talking about how earlier in the week he'd dropped a grand at Alain Ducasse). He was also constantly on his cell phone. Maybe more than the drunk guys.

I'm surprised no one spoke up and told them to pipe down. (I would've.) :angry:

Further proof that the cell phone ban is a much needed breath of fresh air.

I think the menu probably won't change -- at least for the time being. The old menu WAS a lot of food, not to mention they probably lost revenue due to the number of items served, in proportion to the cost spent. I kept feeling that for $100, not including what one would have spent for sake and wine, that the top option was priced amazingly low -- and that a more appropriate cost would've been something around $120 to $130. Ah, the introspection that hindsight brings....

Soba

I'm surprised no one spoke up and told them to pipe down. (I would've.) :angry:

Further proof that the cell phone ban is a much needed breath of fresh air.

I think the menu probably won't change -- at least for the time being. The old menu WAS a lot of food, not to mention they probably lost revenue due to the number of items served, in proportion to the cost spent. I kept feeling that for $100, not including what one would have spent for sake and wine, that the top option was priced amazingly low -- and that a more appropriate cost would've been something around $120 to $130. Ah, the introspection that hindsight brings....

Soba

• 2 months later...

I have been on a crazy business trip and haven't been able to check the boards or post... I'm in egullet deprivation but I did want to log on and quickly write... we were at Jewel Bako a week or so ago and I hadn't been following this thread so was surprised to find Kazu gone... I remember Tatsuya as Kazu's number two.

The meal was still wonderful, Tatsuya takes a different creative direction than I think Kazu did and I need to go back a few times before I make more of a commentary... but Kazu seems to be more experienced as well as more "old school" although definitely not traditional... I mean old school in a good way.

But what I'm dieing to know is WHERE IS KAZU?? If he is still to be found in NYC... then there is another place to get excellent sushi outside of jewel bako and sushi yasuda....

Akiko, when I heard Kazu migrated to Brasserie 360, we went soon after. Although Kazu's preparations were about the same, I don't think the selection of fish was quite as broad as Jewel Bako's. Even though the prices were the same, the atmosphere is dreary. The sushi bar is at one end of a drab dining room that was almost empty and was serving brasserie food. The sushi bar itself seemed makeshift and Kazu was already talking about the day when he would have his own place. We ourselves have migrated to Sushi Yasuda where you really have to be at the sushi bar to get the most out of it: true just about anywhere there is a serious sushi restaurant.

We went to Jewel Bako about two months ago. Unfortunately we had to be seated at a table, rather than the sushi bar, so I don't think the experience was ideal. I was disappointed by the otoro which was not as sublime as I would have hoped. We did order one dish that was truly excellent, the mixed mushrooms. It was so good we had a second.

I am hoping to make another visit. This time with fewer, so I can sit at the bar.

• 10 months later...

Just made a reservation for my beau's birthday dinner in a month - has anyone been lately and is it still as wonderful as past reports? (This would be our first time eating here.)

And is there truly a significant drop in the quality of the experience if we sit at a table as opposed to the bar? We generally like the privacy afforded by the former, especially on a special occasion, but could be persuaded by a convincing argument to sit at the latter :smile: . Thanks!

Go sit at the bar. Please.

Your JB experience will be significantly downgraded if you opt to sit at a table instead of at the bar.

It's a different experience altogether having a chef cook for you from a distance as opposed to having a chef at your immediate disposal right there in front of you.

This quote from robert above, although applicable to Sushi Yasuda, is especially true at JB:

We ourselves have migrated to Sushi Yasuda where you really have to be at the sushi bar to get the most out of it: true just about anywhere there is a serious sushi restaurant.
(my emphasis)

Speaking of JB, perhaps it's time for me to revisit. (Haven't been in a while.)

Soba

Because I'm doing the foodblog at the moment I forgot to post this in this forum so here it goes:

OMG I want to live at Jewel Bako. I want to marry Jack's sushi chef I can now never eat sushi im Australia again.

As those of you in NY and NJ know last night was miserable, V and I caught a cab from the WA to JB and then she and I spent 10 minutes trying to find it. I knew I should have asked Soba what the exterior looked like -- It just does not stand out!!! We went into the restaurant and were promptly seated at the sushi bar where I had a great deal of pleasure watching the "junior" sushi chef removing the pin bones from some sort of fish (In Australia it looked like a garfish). V and I both got the omakase - mine with a sake flight and V's with the wine flight. Please note the descriptions of both flights will be limited, I was too busy enjoying the food and talking to Jack.

The amuse was a silken tofu with peas seated on a slice of cucumber. I'm not a big tofu fan but this was great. We then moved on to a plate of tako, a lightly cooked lake fish, a tuna tartare and a japanese oyster. Now V doesn't usually eat oysters or tako but I swear she was watching my plate to see if I ate all of mine. Next up was a broad bean soup with silken tofu - while this was very good I would have been happy with just a normal miso soup. From here I can describe the sashimi and sushi but other than that I'm screwed - I was too busy listening to Jack and the sushi chef

The sashimi was 6 different sorts - live shrimp, parrot fish. medium toro, Japanese snapper, Japanese Toro and something else I wish I could remember. The shrimp freaked V out as it was taken straight from a small aquarium, deheaded and then placed straight on the plate. The freaky bit for V was the legs on the shrimp were still moving on her plate and that really did not impress her.

I have no idea where to start with the sushi as alot of posts on EG have talked about the sushi. I LOVED the seared otoro but I must admit I could have sat there at the bar all night eating sushi piece by piece. I also got a couple of extra pieces - a tako sushi and an unseared otoro sushi. Both of these were immaculate and really tasty

Dessert was a coconut and lychee sorbet followed by a green tea mousse. MMMMMMM Bonus I got mine and then got to devour V's. Can anyone say heaven?

I started with a cherry blossom sake and then Jack took over. To me some of Jack's descriptions had me floored for a moment until I tasted the sake. All were very, very good but the standout was the final sake (or plum wine I don't know I'm still confused). It was plum flavoured and gorgeous, something I've never tried but am going to be hunting it up somehow. I'll find it eventually. There were also a couple of sakes that Jack stated only he had in Manhattan so it was definitely worth the trip.

Total bill was $337 including drinks, tax and tip

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

• 3 months later...
sushi-nyc.com has some pretty horrific reviews of Jewel Bako's service. Has anyone had any bad experiences?

I think bad service at JB stems from the wait between courses... which only really happens at the tables where your sushi comes all at once on a platter. At the bar you get served piece by piece so you only wait a minute or two which is fine. As for genuinely bad service, I just can't imagine it there. It is one of the most gracious places I've ever been. They treat you like a king. But I only sit at the sushi bar, which is my advice for anyone wanting to go there. I dont' think I'd go if I had to sit at a table.

EDIT to add: I reccomend getting early reservations. If you get omakase, you're likely to be there for three hours. The 9pm seatings are more likely to be closer to 9:30 at best. (I'm sure that would be annoying. )

Edited by bpearis (log)

Would a 9pm reservation at the sushi bar be too late for omakase? I wouldn't mind staying late into the night, but do you think I'll be rushed?

My one 9pm experience was not rushed. I was actually seated at nine, however, which Grace admitted usually doesn't happen. They won't rush you.

Just be aware that Jack Lamb is a showman and his schtick is part of the charm. Some find it pretentious, but I think it's hilarous. Do yourself a favor and let him pair sakes with your omakase meal. It's worth the added expense (which the time I had it done was about $40).

I'm going next week and can't wait.

I second the early reservation request.

Get there around 6 pm, 6:30 pm and see for yourself. The kitchen has a certain rhythm all of its own and it's fascinating seeing the chefs slide into the groove, as it were.

A 9/9:30 seating is also fascinating but different, because you're coming into a period where things are at the height of dinner service. Its interesting seeing how things adjust to a slower pace.

I don't have a preference -- I think the first time I went, the bar truly moved from mediocre sushi to where it is now, such that everytime I go to a new sushi place I haven't been to before (and this includes sushi outside of New York, as in San Francisco, for example), I compare it immediately to Jewel Bako. It's like there was life before JB and now there is just JB (and a few other places....but only a few, mind you).

YMMV however.

Soba

Would a 9pm reservation at the sushi bar be too late for omakase? I wouldn't mind staying late into the night, but do you think I'll be rushed?

they're regularly open until around one a.m. on the weekends.. i'd doubt you'd be rushed..

I'm a litttle confused...

You guys keep mentioning the $100 Omakase, but JB only offers one level, and it's $85. At least that's what I was told by Jack on my visit...

Any clues?

You're probably looking at very old posts. When they first opened, there were different levels of omakase: $50 for sushi or sashimi only; $75 for appetizers plus sushi OR sashimi; or $100 for appetizers plus sashimi AND sushi.

This was back when the appetizers changed on almost a nightly basis. Sometime near around when Kazuo Yoshida left, they changed it to the $85 and made the appetizers a little more standard (though no less good).

You can still get the $50 version that is only sushi or sashimi, I think.

sushi-nyc.com has some pretty horrific reviews of Jewel Bako's service. Has anyone had any bad experiences?

I wouldn't pay any attention to the reviews on that site. When my wife and I went to JB in April, we found the service to be great and Jack's descriptions of each course classic and not pretentious. My suggestion is to get the sake flight with the omakase because some of Jack's descriptions of the sakes are funny as hell.

Cheers

Tom

PS the review on that site that stated stick to Nobu. Hello .... Nobu is fusion not really Japanese (I'll wait for the flaming from Nobu fans :biggrin: )

Edited by StInGeR (log)

I want food and I want it now

I'm a litttle confused...

You guys keep mentioning the $100 Omakase, but JB only offers one level, and it's $85. At least that's what I was told by Jack on my visit...

Any clues?

You're probably looking at very old posts. When they first opened, there were different levels of omakase: $50 for sushi or sashimi only; $75 for appetizers plus sushi OR sashimi; or $100 for appetizers plus sashimi AND sushi.

This was back when the appetizers changed on almost a nightly basis. Sometime near around when Kazuo Yoshida left, they changed it to the $85 and made the appetizers a little more standard (though no less good).

You can still get the $50 version that is only sushi or sashimi, I think.

Is it true that one can order a $100 omakase? When I called yesterday, they mentioned the 50 and 85 dollar options, but distinctly remember an older post (not too old--I think after the price changes were made) mentioning an unpublished $100 level...

edit: just to be clear, I realize that they USED to have a $100 level and then reworked their pricing, but I believe I heard something about still being able to get the $100 option...

Edited by peter_nyc (log)

Not that I wan't to break the bank, I'm just really excited about going to JB-- I've been a sushi lover my entire life (one of the best things my parents ever did for me was bring my brother and me to sushi bars with them when I was 3) and am always thrilled to try out a restaurant, especially one with such a loyal and discerning fanbase. However, as much as I'd like to go above and beyond whatever it is the $85 omakase affords me, I really wouldn't feel too comfortable asking the chef to "top it off at 125, please". Should I just go for the $85 level and call it a night? Or does anybody know of a tactful way to set an upper bound on the bill?

Not that I wan't to break the bank, I'm just really excited about going to JB-- I've been a sushi lover my entire life (one of the best things my parents ever did for me was bring my brother and me to sushi bars with them when I was 3) and am always thrilled to try out a restaurant, especially one with such a loyal and discerning fanbase. However, as much as I'd like to go above and beyond whatever it is the $85 omakase affords me, I really wouldn't feel too comfortable asking the chef to "top it off at 125, please". Should I just go for the $85 level and call it a night? Or does anybody know of a tactful way to set an upper bound on the bill?

With the $85 omakase, you're going to get everything great they have that night; every special fish, all of it. Spending more will just be if you want another piece of o-toro or uni or whatever.

I Basically hinted at wanting the $100 Omakase (mostly due to reading this thread), and was told "we only have one level, and you'll get all of our best". So I think to have pushed to spend more would have just seemed...ignorant.

Besides, I got an amuse, soup, 4pcs cold ap, 2 hot aps, 7pcs sashimi, 14pcs sushi, and 2 desserts. I guess for the extra $15 maybe they would have let me gnaw off a couple of the chefs fingers? :wink: