• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chengdu46

Cook456

I've been invited out to dine at Chegdu46...yes Chegdu46 not China46.

I don't feel it would be appropriate, at this time, to try to change the venue. So, help me here.. Are there any dishes you would recommend?

I don't feel it would be appropriate, at this time, to try to change the venue.  So, help me here.. Are there any dishes you would recommend?

It's been way over a year that I've been there, so I don't know if the menu is the same. But I had:

Shredded Pork and Pickled Cabbage Soup and it was good, but it is hard to do a bad job on that.

Their Dry/Fried Green Beans. Very good, but not large portions.

Also Lee-Chi Fish. This is a take-off on Squirrel Fish. The bass fillets are deeply scored, dredged in a starch, and crispy deep/fried. Served with a lichi sauce. It was very good, but again --- just enough for two.

Their Lamb Sichuan Style was also good.

They don't have a huge menu, and as I said -- the portions are not large. But the food is well prepared if not daring.

I really like Chengdu46 (or is it 44? I get confused, but it's the one with Chengdu), though I haven't been there this winter.

I thought that the mapo doufu and the guo ba were great (I forget how they translate guo ba, but it's the one with the mixed things over sizzling rice). I also had a great whole fish with sauce, but it may have been a special item. The mapo doufu is the key thing for me-one of my top ten foods in life. It was lovely. Very much like the type I once had in Chengdu, from whence it originates, in Sichuan Province.

I really like Chengdu46 (or is it 44? I get confused, but it's the one with Chengdu), though I haven't been there this winter.

I thought that the mapo doufu and the guo ba were great (I forget how they translate guo ba, but it's the one with the mixed things over sizzling rice). I also had a great whole fish with sauce, but it may have been a special item. The mapo doufu is the key thing for me-one of my top ten foods in life. It was lovely. Very much like the type I once had in Chengdu, from whence it originates, in Sichuan Province.

What is mapo doufu?

I don't feel it would be appropriate, at this time, to try to change the venue.  So, help me here.. Are there any dishes you would recommend?

Their featured dish is far and away their Peking Duck.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

We began our meal with Pork Dumplings in Spicy Sauce, and the Cold Pickled Cabbage. While both were totally different in taste and texture, each was quite good, a bit spicy and a bit sweet .

For entrees we chose the Crispy Whole Fish , which was, in this case, Sea Bass, and the Heavenly Chicken, which was chicken in a light ginger sauce with dried peppers.

Ended the meal with Honey fried bananas, which I haven't had since I dined at my old favorite Bamboo Garden in Eatontown, many years ago.

I wouldn't say this place is over the hill; the food and the service were excellent for what they serve.

What is mapo doufu?

It is a very famous Sichuanese dish of tofu (bean curd) and pork, and goes back to the 1860s. It is ground pork sauteed with scallions, ginger, hot bean paste, wine, sesame oil and ben curd cubes are added to it. Sometimes crushed red pepper is also added. The Ma Po is translated literally as 'pockmarked old woman' and the original founder of the dish, a restaurant owner named Ma (or Chen), is supposed to have a mother or MIL who had a pock marked face. The bean curd is suposed to represent skin, and the pork bits -- the pock marks.

What is mapo doufu?

It is a very famous Sichuanese dish of tofu (bean curd) and pork, and goes back to the 1860s. It is ground pork sauteed with scallions, ginger, hot bean paste, wine, sesame oil and ben curd cubes are added to it. Sometimes crushed red pepper is also added. The Ma Po is translated literally as 'pockmarked old woman' and the original founder of the dish, a restaurant owner named Ma (or Chen), is supposed to have a mother or MIL who had a pock marked face. The bean curd is suposed to represent skin, and the pork bits -- the pock marks.

Thanks. It sounds like something I would enjoy.

We began our meal with Pork Dumplings in Spicy Sauce, and  the Cold Pickled Cabbage.  While both were totally different in taste and texture, each was quite good, a bit spicy and a bit sweet .

For entrees we chose the Crispy Whole Fish , which was, in this case, Sea Bass, and the Heavenly Chicken, which was chicken in a light ginger sauce with dried peppers.

Ended the meal with Honey fried bananas, which I haven't had since I dined at my old favorite Bamboo Garden in Eatontown, many years ago.

I wouldn't say this place is over the hill;  the food and the service were excellent for what they serve.

We began our meal with Pork Dumplings in Spicy Sauce, and  the Cold Pickled Cabbage.  While both were totally different in taste and texture, each was quite good, a bit spicy and a bit sweet .

I wouldn't say this place is over the hill;  the food and the service were excellent for what they serve.

Nice menu. I'd forgotten that they have a dessert list.

The food there is always well done and presented.