• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chuck Steak

howard88

Thanks for the nice picture-rich report!

Mad Cow Disease or no, I am an avowed beefaholic and this photo montage merely served to whet my otherwise ravenous desire to buy and grill a lovely piece of chuck! and definitely "bleu"!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for this piece!!

GG,

Thanks for the kind words. Funny you mention Mad Cow. Right after I posted I flipped on NPR and heard Michael Pollan discussing the issue on the program On Point. Damn you historical context!

I realize that this sort of lavish homage to beef might look a little funny given recent events so I feel I should clarify that I have no connection to the beef industry, the food retail industry, the restaurant industry, the outdoor grill industry or, for that matter, any industry whatsoever.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Guys, I've been totally inspired by this thread with its lavish illustrations, and the deep thinking about chuck that went into it. I'm so glad to have made another convert to chuck; the fact that the 7-bone roast and the flanken are attached to each other only point up to me what an underappreciated part of the animal the neck and shoulder are. One point I disagree with a little is the idea of pounding flat the chuck eye steak for chicken fried steak. The chuck eye makes a perfect minute steak, and even gives you what you need for a nice pan gravy, once deglazed with a little wine. Chicken fried steak, pounded and pounded, and then breaded and fried in lard, and then covered with a peppery blanket of thick gravy, is a treatment I reserve only for the toughest pieces of beef. Chuck eyes even make nice sandwiches, esp. if (as with the 7 bone roast) you slice it up against the grain.

Michael, keep up the good work with the chuck roasts! You're on the way to many inexpensive but exhilerating meals. The chuck can stand up to any kind of marinade or seasoning, and if you want to cook it over indirect heat (after giving it a good solid brown, of course) it will take that too.

Great job!

yr friend,

Mr. Cutlets

:laugh:

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

• 1 year later...

I don't buy much meat at Safeway (select grade for more and don't get me started about that rancher's reserve BS). I much prefer Costco, where the meat is choice, the prices are great, and the steaks are thick. The trouble with Costco is they don't sell every cut, and it's not just low service, it's no service.

So I was in Safeway checking out the meat department and a top blade roast caught my eye. Having heard much about this cut for so long (and of course, the flatiron steak made from it) I thought I would give it a try. So I took it home, cut out its dark gristly heart (the line of connective tissue down the center of it) tied it back up, seasoned with garlic salt and pepper, then seared it in a dutch oven for about ten minutes. Then, I stuck a thermometer in it and popped it in a 350 degree oven to finish. It was the bomb . . . . like tenderloin but with flavor. Rich gravy. Just outstanding - for $2.99 a pound. This has led me to wonder if I've been missing out. What other gems lie in the Chuck? Burgers? Sure - I know about them, but what about steaks and roasts? What do you like?

Great thread idea. I'm very interested in info along these lines as well. I often see some big slab o' beef and I wonder what I could do with it.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I generally use chuck for things like pot roast, beef stew, goulash, carbonnade, chili. I prefer buying a big roast and trimming it myself and cutting it up or running it through the food processor to buying precut stew meat or chili grind. I'd be interested in more details on how you "cut the dark gristly heart" out of the thing. Also, how big was it and what internal temperature did you cook it to.

I always sear and braise.

Nasty gristle becomes sweet sweet loveliness.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Pot au feu-trim and weight in terrine after cooking. Slice like meatloaf. Clarify broth(consomme).

Great for utilizing various kitchen skills.

hth, danny

That's fun. Ta.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'd be interested in more details on how you "cut the dark gristly heart" out of the thing.  Also, how big was it and what internal temperature did you cook it to.

mnebergall - I just took a sharp boning knife and ran it against the flat ribbon of gristle in the meat to remove the connective tissue. It wasn't hard at all. Of course, it wasn't perfect, but it didn't need to be since I was tying it back up and roasting it. I'd say it was a 3-4 lb roast, shaped kind of like a flat cylinder. I cooked it medium rare - about 130º.

I always sear and braise.

Nasty gristle becomes sweet sweet loveliness.

Jinmyo - when I read "Nasty gristle" I immediately thought of all those "Nasty Hobbitses" Gollum was always complaining about . . .

I like to pot roast this cut too. Very nice, my precious . . .

I think chuck eye steaks are just about the best steak out their -- either grill or sear and bung.

Thanks for the tip snowangel. I'm on the hunt for one of these now. I did a little research and the chuck eye is a continuation of the rib eye muscle (or perhaps the rib eye is a continuation of the chuck eye). The trouble is actually finding a butcher/store who will actually merchandise them. Most of the stores and higher end places around me just don't sell it. I'm not sure if that's because of the trouble they have to go through to bone this cut out of the chuck, or because they don't want to cannibalize sales of their more expensive short loin steaks.

I think chuck eye steaks are just about the best steak out their -- either grill or sear and bung.

I'm not sure if that's because of the trouble they have to go through to bone this cut out of the chuck, or because they don't want to cannibalize sales of their more expensive short loin steaks.

I think that you are 100% right. I'd hate to try to make a living with a custom shop in 99% of America's communities these days. Few will pay for the Top Blade Steaks, Lamb Chops, Quality Veal, Hanger Steaks, anything truly cooler aged, and I won't go on and on. Yes, in very elite areas, but not Lambertville, MI; Toledo; Findlay, OH, Clover, SC; and etc.

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Thanks for the tip snowangel. I'm on the hunt for one of these now. I did a little research and the chuck eye is a continuation of the rib eye muscle (or perhaps the rib eye is a continuation of the chuck eye). The trouble is actually finding a butcher/store who will actually merchandise them. Most of the stores and higher end places around me just don't sell it. I'm not sure if that's because of the trouble they have to go through to bone this cut out of the chuck, or because they don't want to cannibalize sales of their more expensive short loin steaks.

My butcher says one of the reasons they are rarely available is because there is so little of this on each chuck portion of the beef. Like two or four steaks or something. She also said that since they are a favorite of their's, they often don't make it to the counter :blink: . Further, she said they are far more available when the store has a sale on chuck roasts (they run through more chucks so more steaks available (and they run through more chuck roasts in the winter than summer). When my market has them (I'm friends enough with the butcher that she will call me) I stock up on them and stick them in the freezer. Prefer not to have to freeze them, but also prefer to freeze them when they are $3.58/lb than pay the going rate for ribeyes.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

snowangel,

I'm surprised there are so few chuck eye steaks on the primal. I mean - if you're selling a lot ground beef, wouldn't you be able to make a nice display of chuck eyes? Plus, if like Safeway, you're boning out the flatiron, why not do the same for the chuck eyes? It may be just a marketing decision.

The thing I appreciate with the flatiron is that it's unlikely to become the next skirt steak and rocket up in price (due to its gristly heart).

Anybody out there grilling blade steaks? Is this another piece of chuck suitable for dry heat?

I bought a chuck blade steak the other day. Not sure what to do with it, so I shoved it in my freezer. Grilling is out - it's freezing out there! Cook's Illustrated suggested it for teriyaki. Slice it thin and stir fry? It's pretty thick, like a roast. I'm assuming it's not something to Crock Pot.

Suggestions, please...

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

snowangel,

I'm surprised there are so few chuck eye steaks on the primal.  I mean - if you're selling a lot ground beef, wouldn't you be able to make a nice display of chuck eyes?  Plus, if like Safeway, you're boning out the flatiron, why not do the same for the chuck eyes?  It may be just a marketing decision. 

The thing I appreciate with the flatiron is that it's unlikely to become the next skirt steak and rocket up in price (due to its gristly heart).

Anybody out there grilling blade steaks?  Is this another piece of chuck suitable for dry heat?

I do think that most supermarkets that are selling ground beef or chuck are not grinding it themselves; the packaging leads me to believe this, but I could be wrong. I guess I should really look at one of those cow diagrams to figure it out, but my dad (former butcher) did agree there's not much eye in any given cow.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My favorite is a seven bone chuck roast. I love it. It's so flavorful. I think it seems as if it stays juicier; at least to me. Then I also have a beautiful bone for my 'stockpile'.

And if you read Merle Ellis "Cutting up in the Kitchen" you can really use it. Out of print but can be found :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

A cut that we bring in that I have never seen in the market is a shoulder tender. I had never used the cut in the past so I am not sure exactly what it is....Maybe someone else can comment on that. Anyway, it is about the size of a pork tenderloin and is lean. I trim the silverskin, roast them and use them for little cocktail sandwiches. It is like a poor-mans tenterloin. I would not use them for an upscale entre, but they are very tender roasted mid rare. I make the leftovers into philly cheese steaks for myself...killer good.

• 2 years later...

Have you ever found a cut of beef chuck that just won't get tender? Or is it my cooking?

Yesterday I braised beef chuck in liquid and aromatics (recipe based on one from Molly Stevens) in the oven for about 3 hours. It's still tough. Should I put it back in the oven today for more slow cooking? will that improve it or is it hopeless?

I browned the meat on the stovetop and then put it in a 300 degree oven. I used an enamled cast iron pot, and put parchment paper on top.

The liquid was bubbling kinda fast so I turned the oven down to 280 degrees. Then it seemed to stop cooking. So back up to 300 degrees.

Took it out after 3 hours, stuck it in the fridge, and made hamburgers for dinner.

Did the fast bubbling overcook and toughen the meat? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I'll take a stab at your problem and suggest that 3 hours at 300 degrees is long enough but not hot enough. OR hot enough but not long enough. Go ahead and pop it back in the oven and cook till tender. It'll probably be even better with the overnight snooze in the refrigerator.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I'd go with the "hot enough but not long enough" theory. I've become a believer in long, low, slow cooking. I agree that the overnight rest in the refrigerator will probably help.

You might want to go check out Cooking "All About Braising" with Molly Stevens for insights about the recipe you based yours on. It's been a while since I checked in there (it's 20 pages and still going!) but I remember a lot of people noting that they'd had to adjust cooking times and/or temperatures from what the recipe listed. IIRC the people who commented had always been increasing the cooking time.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown