• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Andy Lynes - Brighton Rock and Rolls

Andy Lynes

My name is Andy Lynes and I am a Site Manager for eGullet. I live in the village of Patcham, just outside of the seaside resort of Brighton and Hove on the South Coast of England. I'm 39 years old and married to Gill.

We have two kids, George (11) and Alice (7)

gallery_10_608_1105872072.jpg

and a German Shorthaired Pointer named Lulu.

My entire life revolves around food. Apart from my duties here on eGullet, I write about it for a living, I cook most days at home, I eat out a great deal and I read everything I can lay my hands on that is food, drink and restaurant related. My interest in just about anything else (apart from music and Uma Thurman) is limited, which can make me tiresome company for the non-food obsessed people in my life.

However, I think we're all on the same page here, so this week I'll be documenting everything I cook and pretty much everything I eat. I won't pretend that its going to be a normal week in the Lynes household, I'll be making a special effort in order to make the blog at least readable. So I'll be visiting my local butchers, fish mongers, markets and supermarkets to give you a flavour of what its like to live and cook where I am.

I'll be sharing recipes, techniques and general food-musings with you and I'll document the soundtrack to my cooking (there's always music or the radio playing when I'm preparing a meal). I'll tell you how I'm feeling in order to judge if mood can affect what I cook and how well I cook it. I'll be exploring what food means to me and who and what has influenced the way I cook.

This week is a particularly interesting one as it will include a visit to Bray to chat with Heston Blumental and a gathering of UK eGullet members for a winter feast in London. I'm looking forward to it.

Friday 14 January: Breakfast

Cup of instant coffee, homemade flapjack

gallery_10_608_1105698710.jpg

Generally speaking, breakfast is not a big deal for me. I don't get hungry until later on in the day, so I just have my caffine top up and some cereal or toast. Today I grabbed the last of my wife's homemade flapjacks made with various seeds and dried fruits (including some rather nice figs given to me by eGullet member Che Guevara, thanks Che.) I don't like instant coffee very much at all. Its tasteless muck, but a habit of 25 years or so is hard to break. I'll make some proper stuff later, I promise.

I'm working at home this morning and then heading off to the office this afternoon, stopping off at the health food store to get the ingredients for a rather special granola which I'll be preparing for tomorrow's breakfast. I've also got to decide what my wife and I will be eating this evening. The kids will have had a meal at school (poor things) and will have eaten again before I get home, so its just for the two of us. We have a ton of vegetables in the fridge and a store cupboard busting with rice, lentils etc, so maybe I'll just use what is to hand.

hey ho, another blog close to my time zone. I love reading these things real-time. :smile:

And so let me be the first to say: wow, those flapjacks look nothing like American flapjacks. Not that there is anything wrong with that. They look awesome.

Carry on. :cool:

*edited* to add that I covet your mug, if not its instant contents.

Edited by cakewench (log)

Lets hope my mug doesn't turn out to be the most interesting thing about this blog! It is nice though isn't it? It was a Christmas present from my kids. The mugs are quite widely available in the UK, but I'm still looking for a "The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett" version.

The flapjacks are made in the traditional way (i.e. melting the butter, sugar and syrup together then adding the dry ingredients) , but I think its the addition of pumpkin seeds, sesame seends, raisins, currents and figs that has made the result look a little different. There's also some peanut butter in there as well. It's my wife's take on this recipe.

I always thought flapjacks were another name for pancakes.

These look like home-made muesli or granola bars.

Is this a particularly English term or confection?

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

Friday 14 January: Breakfast

Cup of instant coffee, homemade flapjack

gallery_10_608_1105698710.jpg

Generally speaking, breakfast is not a big deal for me. I don't get hungry until later on in the day, so I just have my caffine top up and some cereal or toast. Today I grabbed the last of my wife's homemade flapjacks made with various seeds and dried fruits (including some rather nice figs given to me by eGullet member Che Guevara, thanks Che.) I don't like instant coffee very much at all. Its tasteless muck, but a habit of 25 years or so is hard to break. I'll make some proper stuff later, I promise.

I'm working at home this morning and then heading off to the office this afternoon, stopping off at the health food store to get the ingredients for a rather special granola which I'll be preparing for tomorrow's breakfast. I've also got to decide what my wife and I will be eating this evening. The kids will have had a meal at school (poor things) and will have eaten again before I get home, so its just for the two of us. We have a ton of vegetables in the fridge and a store cupboard busting with rice, lentils etc, so maybe I'll just use what is to hand.

Will you be, perhaps, treating us to something from Venus in the Kitchen? Or is you attachment to it only for sentiment, not the author?

I look forward to this week. I'm glad I caught it in real time. Alas I mostly catch up on these blogs when they're well over.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Oh, this will be interesting. Good for you, Andy, and thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I've been labouring under the impression that flapjacks were something we'd got from the US. I'm almost certain that it was the Sainted Delia (Smith) who popularised them in the UK back in the 70's.

I 'n I expectin' a righteous soundtrack wit I-ficially crucial riddims, seen? :cool:

I'll be sharing recipes, techniques and general food-musings with you and I'll document the soundtrack to my cooking (there's always music or the radio playing when I'm preparing a meal).
Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Further info on the mugs from Art Meets Matter.

Further info on Britians best known cookery writer and broadcaster (now retired) at Delia Online.

More on the great LKJ here.

(Obviously any discussion of music must be in direct relation to the activity of cooking and its not my intention to encourage off topic chat. I believe that my mood has a great impact on how well I cook and my mood can be influenced by music. I think it will be interesting to assess over the coming few days if that is in fact true.)

(apart from music and Uma Thurman) is limited, which can make me tiresome company for the non-food obsessed people in my life.

Woohoo, another Uma Thurman fan!!

I look forward to following your thread through the week, I was living in england a few years ago. I miss the seafood.

:cool:

the tall drink of water...

I've been labouring under the impression that flapjacks were something we'd got from the US. I'm almost certain that it was the Sainted Delia (Smith) who popularised them in the UK back in the 70's.

As a brit living in the states, I think I can safely say that they are two different things. Of course, originally they might have meant the same thing, but now -

In America, flapjacks are basically pancakes. Only, not pancakes in the English sense (i.e. crepes) but American-style pancakes. Confusing innit?

Whereas English style flapjacks are (obviously) those things in your picture. My mum makes about 40 of them a week. No idea if the names are connected somehow, but they are certainly two different dishes.