• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cardamon

LNorman

Anyone have a good recipe for cardamon bread. I bought some cardamon powder and want to use it before it starts losing its potency.

I seem to recall a Finnish recipe from my youth called Bulla. http://breadnet.net/bulla.html :biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Cardamon Yeast Dough

2 oz. fresh compressed yeast

1 pint warm whole milk

6 oz. gran. sugar

1 tbsp. salt

2 tbsp. gr. cardamon

4 eggs

2 lbs 10 oz. bread flour

7 oz. unsalted butter

-dissolve yeast in milk

-add sugar, cardamon, and eggs

-add the flour (reserve a handful) and the salt

-add butter

-knead with dough for about 5-7 (or until gluten has become smooth and elastic) minutes adding the reserved flour gradually as needed.

Preshape, shape, proof, bake how desired.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Not bread, but the pear cardamon custard pie in Four Star Desserts is to die for. I made it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners to rave reviews. BTW, I buy cardamon pods at Penzey's and crush the seeds myself. I think it makes a difference in the flavor and it stays fresh longer.

I also buy pods and grind them, in fact I have a grinder similar to a pepper mill dedicated to cardamon ... yup addicted!

One of my all time favorites is to make a sour cream style coffee cake with a layer of apples and cardamon, I slice the apples very thinly and use a castle style bundt pan. I put a few apples mixed with cardamon and sugar into a well greased pan, then the batter (which also has cardamon) and the remaining apples into the pan after the batter. It is a huge hit, people always ask me to make it.

sorry I can't really give you a recipe, it is always a little different but you get the idea.

I hope you enjoy the cardamon and make some nice breads/cakes. :smile: