• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Stein's restaurant in Padstow

Now, here's an extreme exercise -- I don't suggest doing it, but only want to point out that it's possible. Where in London could you pay a total of 88 pounds and get a meal, including wine and service, which matched the quality and interest of the surprise menu at l'Astrance? You can do it by *leaving* London --

John -- That is an extreme exercise because L'Astrance is, in my mind and leaving aside price, one of the best restaurants in the world. And the other restaurants with its caliber of cuisine are very rare and they are all three-starred Michelin with prices to match.  :wink:

So, leaving aside such heightened levels of cuisine, for Pounds 88, you could have a decent lunch at many London places, with wine and service, and come out with pounds to spare. Or you could have a menu degustation for dinner, and drink very, very carefully and sparingly and drink wine by the glass at certain restaurants in London.

• 2 weeks later...

To return to the original query: in my opinion, the Seafood Restaurant is not what it once was. Neither the scallops nor the monkfish I had on my last visit were up to snuff, the atmosphere is leaden, and the sight of Stein schmoozing up to a bunch of American tourists on the terrace instead of getting out back and getting on with it was depressing. The standard of cooking does not justify the menu prices, imho.

:angry:

• 1 year later...

It sounds like your ideal chipper to me, but I'd be interested to know what the prices are going to be like. I think he should have a sign up saying "todays chips today" in honour of Roddy Doyle's "The Van" (what a great book that is).

Brilliant. Chips with curry sauce.

An ancient Cornish dish that explorers took first to Scotland, and then East via Mesopotamia to the Indian subcontinent, where potatoes would not grow.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

The problem will be parking within walking distance!! (said with feeling - last August on a Saturday at 7.30 pm we just couldn't get a space in Padstow - never thought there'd be problems at that time).

That said it sounds good, so I'll be reporting back after this August...

Parking in Padstow is not something we do well Summer or off season.

I wish Rick well with this new venture, the only down side is that the premises used to be the biggest buyer of fish from the boats who landed in Padstow , and i assumed Rick would be carrying on with that side as well.I hear that it will not be dealing in wet fish, which is a shame.

Parking in Padstow is not something we do well Summer or off season.

I wish Rick well with this new venture, the only down side is that the premises used to be the biggest buyer of fish from the boats who landed in Padstow , and i assumed Rick would be carrying on with that side as well.I hear that it will not be dealing in wet fish, which is a shame.

Hear hear.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

. . . i assumed Rick would be carrying on with that side as well.I hear that it will not be dealing in wet fish, which is a shame.

Do I understand this correctly? Will it be coming in frozen? If this is the case, Rick Stein joins Rick Bayliss in the Pantheon of Shame. Please tell me that I've got it wrong. :sad:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

John , you got it wrong :biggrin: Not frozen !!!!!

What i mean is the premises used to be a wet fish merchant, who used to buy alot of stuff from the Padstow boats, and i assumed Rick was carrying on that side of the buisness, aswell as having a chippy.My dream was that if Rick was buying off the boats(as a merchant), it would encourage more boats to land in Padstow, raising the level of quality.To be fair, the guy who had the fish place, well basically his heart wasn't in it over the last couple of years, and the quality on display was not the best.I get my fish up from Newlyn everyday, and do occasional deals with the local fishermen, but if Padstow had a decent merchant, we would all benefit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A shame for Newquay I think.

However, as less of his time will be taken up with this venture now - is it possible he might be behind the stoves, next week then Basildog, when we are there :wink:

Edited by Bapi (log)

Was a £1.5mill project, now turns out to be £6.5mill!! They haven't got Sting's old accountant working on the figures have they: "One and a half for you and one, two, three, four, five for me."

I note this comment from the leader of the local council, "The loss of Rick Stein is quite major. He was going to be the lead name to attract other investors into the town. We'd like something of the same if we could get it." Come on Basildog, can't you take a hint...

• 1 year later...
Muhahahahahah...today Padstow tomorrow, ze world!!!!!!

Well the fish and chips has been a huge success, which we knew it would be. Rick has been asked to do a one part programme about Japan by the ambassador so fingers crossed.

We have just got sashimi on the menu at the seafood so hopefully the old man will pick up some tips as he has never been to Japan before.

The reasons for pulling out of Newquay were more to do with the fact that the location was next to the busses that ferry pissed up people out of the town at 12 o clock and this would have posed a problem for residents, the increase in the figures was just a better way of explaining it to the press etc.

Welcome, Monsieur Le Capitan.

Those fish and chips are exceptionally good. Possibly sinister in their beef dripping goodness. Also (from the deli) the haddock and clotted cream cornish pasty.

Forgot to say that I saw, remarkably, some glorious looking Charolais beef on sale at one of the shops. Do we know where he gets this from?

And may we ask what your connection is to the joys of Padstein?

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP