• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A little help with wine identification, please

jeffperez62

A friend brought back an ice wine for me, but I can't seem to find any info on it (in english) Has anyone seen or heard of this......Lackner-Tinnacher Eiswein 1999 Sudsteiermark, Thanks

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

I have not seen this specific vineyard, but I have seen other Austrian Eisweins. They are very similar to the German ones, perhaps a tad lighter in complexit, but neverthe less, lovely, rich, sweet dessert wines, showing a nice honey tone, and slight minerality to keep it from being cloying. A nice gift from your friend, as eisweins are not inexpensive.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by RobInAustin (log)
"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

A friend brought back an ice wine for me, but I can't seem to find any info on it (in english) Has anyone seen or heard of this......Lackner-Tinnacher Eiswein 1999  Sudsteiermark,  Thanks

I personally know nothing of it, and given the amount of work I'm currently putting into Germans I'm afraid to.

Vinarium.com has the following to say about the winery:

http://www.vinarium-austria.com/www/en/win..._Tinnacher.html

If you use Advanced Google Search, and set it to filter for English Language Only, you get 30-some results.