• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine of Week readily available in Vancouver and BC

2000-2003 Yalumba Y Series Viognier.

:wub:

Yalumba 'Y' Series Viognier (and its counterpart by La Frenz) has been the latest and greatest on my white wine list since about November.

With any luck, I'll be able to pick up both the Grenache and the Planeta 2003 la Segreta Rosso at some point this week.

Thanks to both Coop and Andrew.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I think it's really important that we keep it to ONE person a week to post 2 WOW's.  That way those of us who so desire may go purchase the WOW and give feed back.  Too crazy if everyone adds a WOW at the same time  :blink:  :blink:

If I may borrow a page from the original WOW ....

Each new week should have it's own thread. The title would be something like:

WOW [YVR] - Name of Wine

The description would be the week it runs (e.g. January 11-18).

The WOW in the Wine forum actually runs for two weeks. Thoughts?

It is up to the current "cupholder" to PM the new "cupholder" for the next WOW by the middle of his/her posting period.

*sigh* I'm too tired to think anymore. Read more about it here. :wacko:

A.

Ooops.... newbieitis.....

Mea culpa and all that :blink:

Sorry for posting an additonial suggestion for another Grenache... was just so darned excited to see a topic about wine that I got carried away. If I could figure out how to erase my comment I would. Must check that out before posting again :unsure:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing.....

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I think it's really important that we keep it to ONE person a week to post 2 WOW's.  That way those of us who so desire may go purchase the WOW and give feed back.  Too crazy if everyone adds a WOW at the same time  :blink:  :blink:

If I may borrow a page from the original WOW ....

Each new week should have it's own thread. The title would be something like:

WOW [YVR] - Name of Wine

The description would be the week it runs (e.g. January 11-18).

The WOW in the Wine forum actually runs for two weeks. Thoughts?

It is up to the current "cupholder" to PM the new "cupholder" for the next WOW by the middle of his/her posting period.

*sigh* I'm too tired to think anymore. Read more about it here. :wacko:

A.

Ooops.... newbieitis.....

Mea culpa and all that :blink:

Sorry for posting an additonial suggestion for another Grenache... was just so darned excited to see a topic about wine that I got carried away. If I could figure out how to erase my comment I would. Must check that out before posting again :unsure:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing.....

:laugh::laugh:

Wouldn't worry too much about it. Actually, wouldn't worry about it at all. I wanted to throw around a few bottles myself but will bide my time and learn from others.

Derek

Can you do me a favour, send some of your enthusiasm over to the WOW Planeta La Segreta Rosso 2003. I picked this wine so more BCers could participate. It's an interesting wine, and it's available at all the specialty stores. Everyone has their own personal favorites and if they like I will pass them the cupbearer tag for next week. The wine forum is very friendly so don't be afraid to post your notes. BTW in case any of you think Monastrell is not Mouvedre, I'm ready for you!

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Well I was somewhat successful at the Liquor Store today. The Vigonier is only available in the 2004 vintage - seems very weird to be drinking 2004 already. But I couldn't find the Grenache at the store I was at (Arbutus Village Mall - which looked like a geriatric day care this morning) so I need to hit the 39th and Cambie store later this weekend. I also found the Planeta La Segreta Rosso 2003 and the Salice Salentino Riserva - Dr. Cosimo Taurino. Interestinly when I got home I discovered that each of the 2 bottles of Salice Salentino was from a different vintage - 1999 and 2000. So looks like I can do a side by side to see if I can detect any differences. (highly unlikely - I'm not that 'educated') but it might be fun to try. We are having a bunch of people over tomorrow night so I think I will open one bottle of each of the WOW and see what the comments are. Unfortunately I don't think any of the food I am serving is a matche but let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Karole

I think this is a great idea Foodie.

I think it would be helpful if whoever suggests the wines could also post the SKU or CSPS codes, that way we can phone in advance to see if they are available at our local LDB's (saves lots of time so they don't have to look up the code).

Alternately, you can phone the Cambie and 39th store and they can tell you what stores have them in stock.

I would follow up on that though as sometimes the numbers can be out slightly, so double check with the actual store after getting the info from 39th.

Country of origin, price and whether it's available at LDB's, LDB Specialty Stores or private wine stores should be posted too.

Off to the LDB.

CM

Foodie, we must have just missed eachother. I was there at 6pm. I picked up the Yalumba Grenache and hope to try it this afternoon. I think it will go well with confit prep. I did have the Planeta last night and will be posting about that one on the WOW thread in the other forum. I shall report back later.

I have just opened the Grenache and am having a glass while making dinner, accompanied by a wee bit of Mrs. Appleby's Cheshire and the fig and black pepper crackers from C.

First impressions:

Nose somewhat subdued but has an alcohol 'hot' aspect to it; I think I can smell the "Australian" in it - but maybe that's because it is 'open label' as they say in my line of business.

Very smooth taste, definitely a spicyness but not like a Shiraz. Almost subtle in flavour - some residual tannins but not anything that makes your mouth pucker.

Rich clear flavour that tastes across the mouth - nothing about it is big but there is definitely flavour. Nels was tasting with the Stilton (Neal's Yard) and it makes the wine more aggresive in taste but not off-putting at all.

OK - enough talk. Off to cook dinner.

Cheers,

Karole

In my opinion, it certainly requires a little bit of structure. We should choose one wine for either a week or two week period. It would be pointless unless we post our tasting notes.

BTW check out this link. Something on this page is hilarious or maybe even liabelous if you are Dale Degroff, Hugh Johnson, Robert Parker, Jancis Robinson, Michael Broadbent or even Matt Kramer.

http://www.localwineevents.com/

500 point if you find it.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

I don't think this is it - but has she really nicknamed her piece "Nat Decants"? And who knew there was an award for "World's Best Wine Writer"?! :laugh::laugh:

OT - my vote's for every 2 weeks for the WOW - please? Wallet still feeling a little tight from Christmas, and it may take a little longer to get things sourced up here ...

I've been a little lax on my postings for the WOW selections. It's been a tad hectic, what with the West dinner and then my sister's baby. So, with a bit more time, my impressions of the Yalumba. I only tried the Grenache and since I was so dissappointed with it, I didn't feel the need to spend the money on the Viognier. I found that the nose was not as fruity as I would like for a Grenache. I expect light, fruity, or even jammy, almost like it should dance with flavours. What I found was a very hard Tannin hit that actually made me cringe. It did open up a bit and that did dissipate, but I was dissappointed. There wasn't alot of roundness to this wine, and I didn't find that there was a lot of depth of flavour. It is definitely not a horrid wine, but for my palate and wallet, I would spend my money on say, somehting from South Africa. Unfortunately, I didn't take notes while I was tasting, Arne and I were busy making confit, but for the next wine, I will certainly write everything down.

Salice Salentino Riserva - Dr. Cosimo Taurino

SKU #253575 / UPC #98709310704

Price:  $17.95

Alcohol %: 13 %

Sweetness: 00

Volume:  750 mL

Locality:  South And The Islands

?????

I think it was mentioned on page 1 that Keith's pick is the next WOW. Hope this still stands, b/c I'm off to find it now. :smile:

I didn't have the 1st WOW b/c I was terribly poor after the holidays. I would be nice if we had a new WOW every 2 weeks, but if not, I'll just do it every other week.

More importantly, who would you rather drink with? I'm just going to cut and paste what I said about the Salice Salentino on winefanatic.ca in October:

"Dark purple black edge. Clear. Cherry mixed with roofing tar,very persistent aromas, almost vegetal. To me it's old school Italian. I have never liked this wine, although I used to buy it quite often. Nice in the mouth, raisiny finish, some acid.

This wine kept me from buying Sicily until last year. Now I love Morgante Nero, Planeta's blends and the wines of Donnafugatta. Still no love for the Doctor."

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

The cup passeth...

to Keith Talent who, I believe, was next.

Hope you all enjoyed the Yalumbas.

Chef Metcalf, i'm sure you can find the grenache in most of the liqour, cbw's, and specialty wine stores on the north shore.

All yours, Keith.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

More importantly, who would you rather drink with? I'm just going to cut and paste what I said about the Salice Salentino on winefanatic.ca in October:

"Dark purple black edge. Clear. Cherry mixed with roofing tar,very persistent aromas, almost vegetal.

That doesn't sound very tasty to me. I think I've heard some wines being described as tasting like tar before. Why would anyone find this appealing? Or is the taste of tar pretty much off-putting to everyone?

There are about 8 bottles of the Salice Salentino left at Marquis.

btw: I didn't mean for my post to sound rude, but I honestly don't know why people would drink something that tasted like roofing tar. School me, please. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

Here goes.

Salice Salentino Riserva - Dr. Cosimo Taurino

SKU #253575 / UPC #98709310704

Price: $17.95

Alcohol %: 13 %

Sweetness: 00

Volume: 750 mL

Locality: South And The Islands

I originally started buying this wine back when I was young and impressionable based on the shelf talkers (you know those little tags that tell you what the "experts" at the Dictator think you should think about wine?) Anyway, it came touted highly by Robert Parker and I knew enough to know that if the Dictator made good recco's, Parkers were gold.

I have since disavowed my numerical wine buying practices, and am now using the ugliest label system; ie. buy wine with the ugliest label available, becuase with an unattractive outside, what's inside must be good. This system seems to work no worse than shopping with your Wine Spectator Buying Guide numbers.

And I just went to the wine fanatics site to crib some notes, and damnit if coop wasn't the only one with anything intellgent to say. I'd plaugerize him, but am thinking I might get busted. Especially considering he's already posted his comments above.

Anyway the wine is widely available, at even the shadiest LDB outlets around (the ones I like to frequent, as they've always got the best selection of post Christmas markdowns. People at Cambie or Arbutus know a deal when they see it, consumers aren't quite as savvy about wine in Cloverdale.)

I'll open some this weekend.

"That doesn't sound very tasty to me. I think I've heard some wines being described as tasting like tar before. Why would anyone find this appealing? Or is the taste of tar pretty much off-putting to everyone?"

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt, I can't even use the quote tag correctly.)

Don't forget, the language of wine is not a precise or scientific business. Tar may just be a vague descriptor for something more complex, something we may all concur is tar-ish, but is certainly not "Knight Street at rush hour, 4:30 PM in July"

Greenpepper is a desireable, or correct aroma from Cabernet Sauvignon, which could be described as vegetal.

All of these descriptors are intigrated into a bigger ball of aroma, sometimes when one is overpowering the others the wine is described as simple or one dimentional, but when leather, tar, greenpepper, cassis and tobbaco all get together for a party in your mouth, you're looking at a 100 dollar bottle of Napa Cab.

To commit an intentional malaprop, writing or talking about wine is like dancing about architecture. It can be done, but isn't always pretty.