• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine of Week readily available in Vancouver and BC

The digression of the Bearfoot Bistro thread into wine cost made me think that it might be fun for us to have a local WOW (wine of the week) - not all wines discussed elsewhere in eG are easily found in our local outlets. We could perhaps recommend 2 wines a week - one <$20 and the other>$20 and share not only our thoughts on the wines but also what foods they were paired with. Coop and Montrachet as well as others (Winegeek?) might be arm-twisted into starting us off as they seem to know a lot about wines. What do you think?

Cheers,

Karole

Perhaps a red and a white? great idea for a thread. :smile:

I can warmly recommend two very food-friendly wines that are not often seen as solo varietals. They're both inexpensive, readily accessible, of great quality, and easy to pair with food. Bit of a novelty, too.

2000-2003 Yalumba Bush Vine Grenache.

2000-2003 Yalumba Y Series Viognier.

We sell both by the glass at my restaurant and they're incredibly popular at the moment (have been for over a year now) :smile: .

Easy hand-sell and quaffable as hell. :wub:

Andrew

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

OK, let's try this again.

I was talking about WOW with my mom last night and she had a bunch of suggestions of wine that work for something like this. She happens to be very good at finding really tasty wines under $20.

OK, let's try this again.

I was talking about WOW with my mom last night and she had a bunch of suggestions of wine that work for something like this.  She happens to be very good at finding really tasty wines under $20.

This'd be great - particularly for those of us who live in the slightly more isolated areas of BC & have to depend largely on the LDB!

Well - seeing as Andrew posted a pair of specific wines shall we start with those for this week while we get ourselves organized? Then we can sort out who's on first and who's on second so to speak as well as the parameters. That is, one red, one white or <$20 and >$20. Or other suggestions for categorizing the choices.

Cheers,

Karole

So, Yalumba it is then. Andrew, would you like to start us off with any great words of wisdom about the wine before we begin?

Or, there's the one that Keith suggested. Week one Yalumba, week two Keiths?

Edited by peppyre (log)

OK, so Yalumba...

the winery: yalumba is an aboriginal world meaning "the surrounding land." the winery was established by english brewer sam smith in 1849 in angaston, australia. i think his first vines were taken from the cape area of south africa while en route from england. they make many different varietals of many different classes, from very high end to entry-level quaffables.

the 2003 bush vine grenache:

the grenache varietal is most often used as the favoured blending grape in the production of rhone-style blends, such as the chateauneuf-du-pape (grenache with syrah, mourvedre and cinsault). it isn't very often found on it's own. i think it does well in australia because of the longer growing season and the drier weather, but that's just a guess. my point is: it's damn tasty. dry, stewed fruit, touch of white pepper reminiscent of syrah, lengthy finish. great with red meats, especially mildly sauced lamb (mint might be too much). a winter wine, to be sure. popular in vancouver restaurants. surf the wine lists, you'll most likely find it on the better ones.

the 2003 "y series" viognier:

the viognier grape is traditionally found in the south of france but is now gaining in popularity in california and australia. yalumba's viognier is clean, notably viscous with dried fruit aromas and flavours of pears, peaches and a touch of oak. very food friendly but not built to age. there is a beautiful pairing at my restaurant of this wine with pacific rock sole stuffed with lobster, crab, and shrimp sauced with a chive beurre blanc. phenomenal match. an excellent patio wine.

this is fun :biggrin: . drink up!.

andrew

Andrew Morrison

yes, the 2003 vintage is also out, i believe. like i said in my first post on this thread the 2000-2003 vintages are all excellent at the price point.

remember, it's "bush vine" grenache. there is a much pricier yalumba grenache out there from their premium line. excellent, loooongggg finish, but pretty expensive for oz (not counting hill of grace and the grange, etc....)

andrew

Andrew Morrison

yes, the 2003 vintage is also out, i believe. like i said in my first post on this thread the 2000-2003 vintages are all excellent at the price point.

remember, it's "bush vine" grenache. there is a much pricier yalumba grenache out there from their premium line. excellent, loooongggg finish, but pretty expensive for oz (not counting hill of grace and the grange, etc....)

andrew

Slightly OT but...

You may also be able to find the high end Yalumba Virgilius (Viognier) at your neighborhood Earl's. Their selling price is either the same or lower than when the LDB was carrying it. Somewhere around $45 me thinks. yum yum yum!!! :smile:

Oh gawd not the Dr. This sound good but may not comply with the forum police. If it does I am in.

BTW this weeks WOW or fortnight in reality the Planeta 2003 la Segreta Rosso is available at all the specialty stores and is by all accounts a very nice bit of grape juice for 23.95.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

If you want granache or granacha as they call it in Spain, run don't walk to the LDB and pick up Los Rocas at $15.95 a bottle it's a better wine then most at $30.00. We tasted blind with the Penfold's grenache, mouvedre, shiraz blend and it won hand's down.

For mouvedre, try Hecula at the same price.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I like the Yalumba Bush Vines Grenache but my real FAVOURITE Aussie Grenache is:

Grenache - d'Arenberg The Custodian 1999

SKU #603845 / UPC #9311832392005

Price: $25.99

Alcohol %: 13 %

Sweetness: 00

Volume: 750 mL

YUMMY :wub:

I didn't like the Los Rocas that much.... found it too smoky or something. Which is actually my issue with a number of wines I've had from Spain.... not sure why.

Anyhoo.... I will absolutely join in this WOW business once the next two weeks have passed. Giving the old bod a break from the bad (well, good, really) stuff till the end of January.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

The digression of the Bearfoot Bistro thread into wine cost made me think that it might be fun for us to have a local WOW (wine of the week) - not all wines discussed elsewhere in eG are easily found in our local outlets. We could perhaps recommend 2 wines a week - one <$20 and  the other>$20 and share not only our thoughts on the wines but also what foods they were paired with. Coop and Montrachet as well as others (Winegeek?) might be arm-twisted into starting us off as they seem to know a lot about wines. What do you think?

Hey Foodie, count me in!! I think you were reading my mind. :huh: . I was thinking about a similar post but thankfully, you beat me to it. I spend alot of time in Wine but alot of what is referred to is not available here. I think this is a great idea. Where as I would definately classify myself as a huge wine lover (and drinker), I have SO much to learn. There are definatley alot of people on this board with great wine knowledge. I would be more than happy to share my love of wine with others. I'll volunteer for week 3 if I may??

I think it's really important that we keep it to ONE person a week to post 2 WOW's. That way those of us who so desire may go purchase the WOW and give feed back. Too crazy if everyone adds a WOW at the same time :blink::blink:

Edited by winegeek (log)

Derek

I think it's really important that we keep it to ONE person a week to post 2 WOW's.  That way those of us who so desire may go purchase the WOW and give feed back.  Too crazy if everyone adds a WOW at the same time  :blink:  :blink:

If I may borrow a page from the original WOW ....

Each new week should have it's own thread. The title would be something like:

WOW [YVR] - Name of Wine

The description would be the week it runs (e.g. January 11-18).

The WOW in the Wine forum actually runs for two weeks. Thoughts?

It is up to the current "cupholder" to PM the new "cupholder" for the next WOW by the middle of his/her posting period.

*sigh* I'm too tired to think anymore. Read more about it here. :wacko:

A.