• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Side by Side, or Face to Face

Juanito

OK. Have not read thread biblically, but it's rude as a (wee) man not to allow a girl to face the audience.

Get a grip, the rest of you. And for those cops (or policemen) among you - stop watching films and get a life.

I would have edited this post, but cannot now, due to the time limit on editing. A thoughtful eGulleteer mailed me with a quiet word about my smugness. I am sorry if I have offended anybody else, too.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Depends on the restaurant layout I suppose. F2F works best in the middle of the room, but in our fav place, where the tables are angled to the wall, we sensibly sit at right angles, on either side of the corner against the wall. Makes service seemless and gives us both a view of the action. Good for mid-meal commiserations.

But when there are two couples, what is the proper layout? SO's face to face? or, for instance, Boy-Girl-Boy-Girl?