• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN'S Gaia Estate Winery 2000

"T"

Gaia Estates, from what I understand from a buddy who managed an Oddbins in the UK, are one of the more highly regarded estates in Greece.

This wine is made from a local variety called Agiorgitiko. Don't know much about it but it makes great wine.

Medium garnet core to a watery garnet rim.

Moderately intense on the nose. Sweet cherry, ripe dark berries. Jammy but not Oz jammy. Toasty, licorice whip.

Medium acid, soft-medium tannins.

More medium tannin but quite soft. Fair amount of alcohol (14%).

Ripe, rich dark berry fruit. Nice concentration of fruit without being obvious. Mixed spices. And then the oak. Nicely toasted while still allowing all the fruit to show through.

This is absolutely wonderful wine from a country that dropped the ball as far as wine making is concerned a few moons ago.

Seek it out.

Buy it. Enjoy.

Cheers

slowfood/slowwine

Thanks for the tasting note.

I don't know about dropping no ball but with the NY times article:

"Modern Love for Ancient Vines in Southern Italy"

dated January 12, 2005 By ERIC ASIMOV

Finally realizing the are other wines other from what the terribly narrow minded "New World" can provide or accept, we should allow ourselves an awakening from this very dangerous sleep.

Wishing all the Greeks and Christian Orthodox a Happy New-Year.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.