• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy knives?

This year I’m determined to replace the crappy knives I’ve been using for far too long. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy knives that won’t cost an arm and a leg? Although I don’t yet have a specific brand in mind, right now I am leaning slightly towards Wusthof .

Thanks,

Scout

J bought my Wustof's at Cook Works ... but they were having a pre-Christmas sale. Otherwise I'm sure they're pretty pricey.

Yes, Ming Wo is having a sale now ... some Wustof's were on sale.

A.

edited: due to my propensity to double letters.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

This year I’m determined to replace the crappy knives I’ve been using for far too long. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy knives that won’t cost an arm and a leg? Although I don’t yet have a specific brand in mind, right now I am leaning slightly towards Wusthof .

Thanks,

Scout

This might sound funny but have you tried Ebay I have made a few purchases of electronics on Ebay (Canada) and have saved a ton of money. If you are not familiar with using Ebay, let me know. I'd be glad to help. :biggrin:

Derek

I would recommend "Japanesechefsknife.com" or "Korin.com"

I can't say enough about the quality of Japanese knives. In general, the steel is harder and the blades are slightly thinner, and the knives are lighter than European made knives. If you read through the threads at the following sites you will soon understand why so many people have switched over to these knives, and if you ever have the opportunity to use one of these, you will be amazed!

Try out one of these links for more information (be prepared to spend some time at these sites, there is A LOT of information!):

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/post...=&Board=Kitchen

http://216.91.137.210/ubbthreads/postlist....0/Board/cutlery

But if you're on a budget and these end up being too pricey, Forschner is not a bad way to go. IMHO that is..

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Third vote for Victorinox / Forschner. I bought a bunch of these (10" chefs, 4" paring, 2x 6" boning, 9" offset slicer) because I didn't want to show up at school with my heavy, expensive old-skool German knives. Since I bought them, I haven't touched my old knives. Plus , Forschner are about 1/3 the price. Ming Wo's got them (I think on sale?), plus they're available all over the 'net.

Beware of buying Globals on eBay. Buddy of mine bought some and got fakes (yes, there are fake Globals out there).

But in the end, buy what feels good in your hand. That's what counts.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I give me recommendation on the 10" grand prix chef knife from wustof.

I've had mine for 15 years since University and still use it everyday and have not seen a knife that feels better in my hand.

As for the Japanese knives I gotta go and try some out when I get a chance.

I bought the whole set of grand prix knifes when I was in Germany at a pretty good price, but if I was to do it again for some of the more specialty knives ie. boning, cleaver, bread knife, carving I would probably not spend the extra for the Wustof.

I use my chef knife about 80 percent of the time so for the knives where I get less use, I don't think the money is well spent on the pricer Wustof.

Chester

Chester,

You wont be dissapointed when you do get the opportunity to try out a Japanese knife. Since they are harder and thinner, I don't cut through bones or hard items with it, I use my thicker German knives for that, but for everyday cutting and slicing, they really can't be beat. You've really got to try them.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

For me, it's got to be Whustof, everything else pales in comparison. I find the Grand Prix series to be an improvment ergonomically over the 3 rivet old school style. I have a Sabatier slicer that is also quite useful. When I went to VCC we all had the Victorinox knives which were sold for reasonable discounts in the book store but they are a Toyota compared to the BMW(Whustof). I have tried both Global and Kershaw knives but they seem better suited to smaller hands then mine. On purchasing try the Gourmet Warehouse. Other then that shop around. Now being a pretty good time.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

If you can ever get over to Victoria, we have a mobile knife, professional kitchenware and knife sharpening unit that services all the restaurants in town. The owner/driver/sharpener Dwight O. Joinson will also come to your home or hotel. He carries Wustof, Trident, Global and other pro knives at very discounted prices compared to regular retail outlets. Its like an ice cream truck for grown ups and chefs live for the moment he pulls up, so they can take a bit of break and shop for the latest, while their restaurants knives are getting sharpened. Last time I had my knives sharpened - in our apartments parking lot - he had the latest in kitchen clogs and some new Aussie designed stuff. Check it out next time you are in town. Credit cards and debit accepted. Or send him an email, he may even ship to Vancouver.

Knifex - call for an appointment, 310-9000, or 250-744-0606 email. dojoinson@knifex.com

shelora

Here's my vote for Knifex - excellent quality sharpening and it couldn't be more convenient. I have bought the odd knife or two from Dan and I think his prices are competetive. I agree with Coop - no matter what anyone else says - it is the feel of the knife in your hand that counts. I wouldn't buy a knife on the net unless I had had an opportunity to really sense the heft and feel in my hand. Then, if I knew exactly what I wanted and the price was right I would buy on eBay or elsewhere online.

Cheers,

Karole

i agree. i go to knifex for all my knife needs. especially sharpenings. $3.50 a knife? can't beat it and of course you can buy knives from him as well. if he doesn't have it ask daryl to order it and he'll be more than happy to

bork bork bork