• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

couscous

zeitoun

Sous vide is my preferred method for cooking duck confit. I did alot of sous vide preparations when I was working in France. I was thinking of volunteering to do the Sous vide tutorial here on egullet. But I don't have the time. It can be rather time consuming to translate the methods and equipment from French to English.

But the topic does remind me of vacuum packed "instant" couscous I saw in France. I never used it for obvious reasons. But I'm finding that there is some resistance to steaming couscous 2-3 times from some of my students. They readily admit that it's vastly superior to the packaged directions on the boxes but some of them don't have the time or don't want to spend the time.

Has anyone tried the boil in bag type of couscous? If so, how does it compare to the packaged variety prepared according to the directions on the box? Is it available in America?

/quote]

Hi chefzadi,

I don't have the data about the US version, but i guess the Israeli one is similar.

Here is a link to a 5 min' COUSCOUS, one of few popular brands in Israel.

http://www.couscousmaison.com/couscous/cgi/couscous.pl

Sure it is far from anything you can easily get in many North African restaurants, and it can not match the fond memory I have of the first CC I got from the lady that used to work at parent's house 30 years ago. She was from Tripoli, Libya, and made heavenly fluffy CC. she would also make Bourik (Thin Dow "leaves" filled with potato puree, egg and Harissa, which at the time I avoided.)

She would also make us Stuffed cabbage, something I loved so much, that even though I was in my early teens I stayed in the kitchen and watched carefully, so I can make quite a good version of it till this day.

The days that she cooked for us, or let us have her home made CC ,were the days with the best meals of our childhood.

The above speedy CC is only used as a last resort, when I can't get hold of a much better, hand made CC.

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

I found this blurb that explains what I have in my pantry:

"WHAT? Pearls of marketing wisdom. Following in the tradition of pasta shaped and/or marketed like grains (think Italian orzo and rice), Israeli couscous is technically not related to the staple carbohydrate of the Mahgreb called couscous. Invented in the 1950s by the Tel Aviv-based firm Osem, Israeli couscous is extruded (like ordinary pasta) and toasted to dry (like Jewish farfel). The result, when cooked, is a chewy, buttery carbohydrate that is shaped more like pearls of tapioca than actual couscous, and that has, over the years, become a staple in Israel. To make matters more confusing, traditional African couscous is often mistakenly referred to as a grain. In fact, it is a method of treating durum semolina (the same wheat used to make pasta), that produces small granules, which are then steamed several times and fluffed.

WHEN? May 19, 2000: Michelle Bernstein, The Strand"

If I want to make the moghrabbiyeh, I am going to have to do some more shopping!

I found this blurb that explains what I have in my pantry:

"WHAT? Pearls of marketing wisdom. Following in the tradition of pasta shaped and/or marketed like grains (think Italian orzo and rice), Israeli couscous is technically not related to the staple carbohydrate of the Mahgreb called couscous. Invented in the 1950s by the Tel Aviv-based firm Osem, Israeli couscous is extruded (like ordinary pasta) and toasted to dry (like Jewish farfel). The result, when cooked, is a chewy, buttery carbohydrate that is shaped more like pearls of tapioca than actual couscous, and that has, over the years, become a staple in Israel. To make matters more confusing, traditional African couscous is often mistakenly referred to as a grain. In fact, it is a method of treating durum semolina (the same wheat used to make pasta), that produces small granules, which are then steamed several times and fluffed.

WHEN? May 19, 2000: Michelle Bernstein, The Strand"

If I want to make the moghrabbiyeh,  I am going to have to do some more shopping!

Quote from Cliffordwright on Algerian couscous and Israeli couscous.

"Algerians also have different names for different couscous dishes such as bufawar or burkukis, a little semolina ball that’s actually a large couscous and which is identical to muhammas, maghribiyya, and the so-called Israeli couscous (which is not Israeli, but a marketing name made up by an Israeli firm)."

Note maghribiyaya.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Thank you, Chefzadi.

The method in the recipe I am using calls for first soaking and then steaming the maghribiyya.

My package of Israeli couscous must be the instant variety, as it says one only need to pour boiling water over it and then let it rest for 10-15 minutes.

I am going to go ahead and brave the dish with Osem brand and see how things turn out. If I like it this way, I am going to check out our halal market here and see if they carry another variety.

Thank you, Chefzadi.

The method in the recipe I am using calls for first soaking and then steaming the maghribiyya. 

My package of Israeli couscous must be the instant variety, as it says one only need to pour boiling water over it and then let it rest for 10-15 minutes.

I am going to go ahead and brave the dish with Osem brand and see how things turn out.  If I like it this way, I am going to check out our halal market here and see if they carry another variety.

Let me know if you find another variety at the Halal market. I have not been able to find

maghribiyya in Los Angeles. Also, I've not tried Israeli cousous, but you are probably aware I recommend steaming the finer versions of so called "instant" couscous. So why not prepare a small portion of your instant Israeli couscous according to the package directions and if the result is too dry, try steaming them.

Dean of Culinary Arts

So why not prepare a small portion of your instant Israeli couscous according to the package directions and if the result is too dry, try steaming them.

Good idea - I will try that.

Before I make an ass of myself at the halal, could someone help me with the pronunciation?

I am going to go ahead and brave the dish with Osem brand and see how things turn out. 

And please, don't forget to snap some pictures :biggrin:!!!!

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

So why not prepare a small portion of your instant Israeli couscous according to the package directions and if the result is too dry, try steaming them.

Good idea - I will try that.

Before I make an ass of myself at the halal, could someone help me with the pronunciation?

You saw the long list of different names for the maghribiyaya? Even the spelling variations? Also at the Halal market they might not even speak much Arabic.

Anyway, maghribyaya is actually pretty easy. You can pronounce all the vowels "short".

But in different Arabic dialects this varies as well.

Dean of Culinary Arts

[

I made Chicken with Moghrabbiyah last night. The recipe comes from Hanou's "Middle Eastern Street Food." I was interested in trying the dish as I had a package of Israeli couscous in the pantry and I had been looking for a dish that included the couscous and chickpeas.

After reading the information on this thread, I began to question whether the couscous in my pantry could be substituted for the mograhbia in the recipe. (please note - this ingredient is spelled many differrent ways and I am sticking with the shorter spelling!) The Israeli couscous is an instant cook couscous. The method in the recipe called for first soaking and then steaming the moghrabia.

Wanting to be as authentic as possible, I decided to visit a local Lebanese grocer. There, I found a package of moghrabia - the pearls of couscous notably larger than what I had at home. I decided to use the Lebanese moghrabia for my first attempt.

Here is a photo of the two brands and a photo showing the size of the pearls:

gallery_13839_644_1106237195.jpg

The different brands

gallery_13839_644_1106236878.jpg

Note the different size of pearls. The Israeli couscous is a "toasted pasta specialty"

The dish is not complicated, though one does go through a number of pots and pans. In addition to soaking the chickpeas overnight, you must cook the chicken in a large casserole, soak the moghrabia and then steam the moghrabia, turn the moghrabia out into a large skillet and saute it along with te cooked chickpeas and onions and the top this mixture with the cooked chicken. Here are some photos:

gallery_13839_644_1106236775.jpg

The spices are cinnamon (obviously!), 7-spice blend (available at mid-east markets), caraway and gound pepper. The soaked chickpeas are in the back

gallery_13839_644_1106236618.jpg

The moghrabia post steaming

gallery_13839_644_1106236151.jpg

The finished dish

I loved the spice combination as it reminds me of a similar dish we make that includes rice with meat, pine nuts and almonds. This is topped with poached chicken sprinkled with cinnamon.

The couscous had a unique texture - I probably should have steamed it a bit longer. It had a very chewy bite to it that contrasted nicely with the chickpeas. My husband did as the Lebanese do and wrapped his up in khubz (bread). He is a starch hound.

If I make this dish again, I will try the Israeli couscous just so that I can compare the texture.

This is wonderful! Thanks for the pictures and the comments.

My experience with moghrabiyyah is that the grain certainly should retain some bite but not too much, so maybe it should have been steemed a little more as you noted. I wonder though, during the sauteeing process, was there any liquid involved (may be some of the liquid you used to poach the chicken with)? The moghrabiyyah(s) I've had always had some kind of starchy, brothy liquid base in it. It should not be soupy though, something close to the texture you'll find in a very creamy/starchy risotto maybe?

This is wonderful! Thanks for the pictures and the comments.

My experience with moghrabiyyah is that the grain certainly should retain some bite but not too much, so maybe it should have been steemed a little more as you noted.  I wonder though, during the sauteeing process, was there any liquid involved (may be some of the liquid you used to poach the chicken with)? The moghrabiyyah(s) I've had always had some kind of starchy, brothy liquid base in it.  It should not be soupy though, something close to the texture you'll find in a very creamy/starchy risotto maybe?

Yes, once you turn the moghrabiya into the skillet, you add 1 1/2 cups of the broth (or more) and saute for a few minutes.

My dish was very starchy. I wonder if I should have rinsed the moghrabiya after soaking but before steaming to remove some of the starch?

Hanou says to add broth as desired, depending on how soupy/stewy you prefer yours.

This looks great hazardnc, I do agree that it should have a little more liquid in it at the end like zeitoun mentioned, but definitly not soupy. It does look awsome though and I cannot wait to add my pictures to this thread once I make mine. I love the way you compare the two "grains" in the picture, this gives everyone a better idea of what to look for.

Your husband has the right idea in eating it with khobz (pita bread). In Tripoli, Lebanon, you would find street vendors selling this dish. The way they serve it is usaully inside a split pita loaf and they add pickled turnips and pickled cucumbers to it. Starch rules!!

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thank you hazardnc for posting your photos and relaying your experiences. My mother served berkoukes (maghrebyaya) with either a vegetable sauce or a slow cooked lamb ragout. But your preparation has inspired to come up with a version for home and another for a restaurant.

Dean of Culinary Arts

Hazardnc, don't assume those spices are obvious ones. I am relatively new to this and just learning about the joys of couscous (I don't own a couscousierre yet...)

Ironically, I picked up a bag of that Osem brand and it has been sitting on my pantry shelf for some time. I guess I'll be opening some cookbooks in the next few days to figure out the best thing to cook for my bag.

Thanks again for this -- what a great thread its become!

Thanks for sharing your photos, hazard.

I would agree about the sauce in the dish, but it might appear more sauc-y if the chicken were mixed into the dish. It looks good!

I use a spice mix I bought for moghrabiyah from Adonis Spices. Unfortunately, I am not sure what makes up the mix, but it's just perfect.

Here's a picture of a lot of moghrabiyyah in Tripoli:

gallery_22248_438_1106260243.jpg

Also, I love Gourmet's recipe forIsraeli Couscous with Butternut Squash and Preserved Lemon.

I really need to get a new digital camera next week. I will start posting photos of some Algerian couscous dishes then, along with some recipes. I'm still very keen on this online couscous project.

Dean of Culinary Arts

In the Californian forum someone suggested posting cooking classes. I asked Melkor if it was okay to post some of the recreational classes I teach and he said it was fine. I didn't get around to posting classes in that forum. (I'm just not comfortable with promoting myself on the forums).

Anyway, but I am an experienced Chef and teacher. And this thread has proven a strong interest in couscous.

I am scheduled to teach "Moroccan Tagines and Perfect Couscous" at Sur La Table on the following dates and locations.

Santa Monica Location 6:30 PM, Wednesday, February 23rd.

The Grove Location 6:30 PM, Tuesday, April 26

The recipes and techniques to be covered are:

Perfect Couscous

Setif Tagine with Lamb and Vegetables

Braised Chicken with Preserved Lemons

Lentil and Vegetable Tagine

Dean of Culinary Arts

Last night's dinner was Moughrabiyah:

gallery_5404_94_1106544513.jpg

gallery_5404_94_1106544615.jpg

As you can see this recipe had both beef and chicken in it. The chicken was boiled and then cut up and broiled to crisp the skin. The beef was first seared then also simered in the chicken cooking water.

The dish was flavored and colored with "burnt onions", basically onions caramalized till almost burnt and then a few cups of stock are added. The result is a deep brown liquid strongly flavored with onions and drippings. This liquid is the one used to cook the Moughrabiyah.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks for posting this Elie, it looks terrific.

What kind of spices did you use for this? Did you use lebanese pepper (bhar lubnani)? Anything else?

Thanks for posting this Elie, it looks terrific.

What kind of spices did you use for this? Did you use lebanese pepper (bhar lubnani)? Anything else?

I added a stick of cinnamon to the stock. I also used a spice mix from my grandmother's stash. She calles it "Kamunah", basically it has -all whole spices- black pepper, dried rose buds, caraway, cumin, allspice, marjoram and a few others I think. I grind it in a mortar and pestle and use it on lots of stuff, like pan seared steak and Kibbeh.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I added a stick of cinnamon to the stock. I also used a spice mix from my grandmother's stash. She calles it "Kamunah", basically it has -all whole spices- black pepper, dried rose buds, caraway, cumin, allspice, marjoram and a few others I think. I grind it in a mortar and pestle and use it on lots of stuff, like pan seared steak and Kibbeh.

"Kamunah" sounds like an interesting mix. Thanks again for sharing :smile: