• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day in Philly

Pumpkin Lover

Hey everyone--

I will be in Philly for Valentine's Day night. I believe I will be eating a cheese-steak at...Pat's. (I think that's the name, right?) But, a friend of mine told me about a deep-fried calzone-like item called a panzarotti which one can find in Philly. I've never seen it in New York, and I'm wondering: where's the best panzarotti in the city? I will be hanging out at the Theatre of Living Arts on South Street that night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Camden. There are a couple of places there that sell them--I've only had them from the Tarantini Panzarotti Co., which is at Midvale and Marlton. As far as I know, nobody in Philly sells them, but I could be wrong.

I'm unaware of any Philly spots, either.

Holly's site lists Franco's in Westmont, NJ.

Franco's at Hollyeats

Some Philly men of feathers (avatar at left) know that Westmont is also the home of the Acme Accordion School.

The TLA is right down the street from Jim's, a decent steak. If you're going to travel to Pat's, you might as well go to Tony Luke's and get a cheesesteak and a roast pork Italian.

BTW, I understand there's a new Tony Luke's in NYC.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Hey everyone--

I will be in Philly for Valentine's Day night. I believe I will be eating a cheese-steak at...Pat's. (I think that's the name, right?) But, a friend of mine told me about a deep-fried calzone-like item called a panzarotti which one can find in Philly. I've never seen it in New York, and I'm wondering: where's the best panzarotti in the city? I will be hanging out at the Theatre of Living Arts on South Street that night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

In the vicinity of 20th and Snyder in South Philly, there is/was a corner luncheonette that claimed to be the home fo the original Panzarotti; in fact I recall the place was CALLED "Mr. Panzarotti"!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

PL, reference another thread just a few spaces down the page for descriptions and comparisions of roast pork sandwiches from Tony Luke's and Dinic's.

Tony Luke's, @ Front and Oregon, is as navigable from TLA as 20th and Snyder is. Basically, car transportation is best.

Dinic's at the Reading Terminal at 12th and Arch wouldn't be available during the evening as it's a lunch spot.

Roast pork Italian is roast pork sliced thin, with provolone cheese (I think this is standard, but it might just be my standard) and served with either broccoli rabe or spinach, on a long hoagie roll.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Roast pork Italian is roast pork sliced thin, with provolone cheese (I think this is standard, but it might just be my standard) and served with either broccoli rabe or spinach, on a long hoagie roll.

Yes this is what you get when you order RPI. But to clarify: It's

sharp provolone "crumbles" - not slices of that round mild stuff.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!