• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good shawarma in/around SF

melkor

I've been to the Ali Baba at Valencia & 19th, it was great three or four times in a row - then on the most recent visit (maybe six weeks ago) the shawarma was pre-cut and sitting in a steam tray. Maybe that was just a fluke but it got me thinking I should check out what else was in the area. Now I need to check out the other Ali Baba location...

I love that NY thread. Great description of what this is and the different types and even pictures.

Anyway, I know nothing about shawarma. However Goood Frikin' Chicken has chicken shawarma. I am suspecting the shawarma is good because their roast chicken is marinated overnight and not just the skin, but the chicken meat carries the taste of the spice. They have a mighty fine golden pita that comes with the chicken.

They also have this Middle Eastern Dish:

Mosakhan … is listed as chunks of chicken smothered in onions, olive oil, summack and pine nuts, rolled in thin sheet of bread and grilled to a crisp.

Have you tried this place?

Goood Frikin' Chicken. 10 29th St., Ste. 10 (at Mission), S.F. (415) 970-2428. Daily, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.

I love that NY thread. Great description of what this is and the different types and even pictures.

Anyway, I know nothing about shawarma. However Goood Frikin' Chicken has chicken shawarma. I am suspecting the shawarma is good because their roast chicken is marinated overnight and not just the skin, but the chicken meat carries the taste of the spice. They have a mighty fine golden pita that comes with the chicken.

They also have this Middle Eastern Dish:

Mosakhan … is listed as chunks of chicken smothered in onions, olive oil, summack and pine nuts, rolled in thin sheet of bread and grilled to a crisp.

Have you tried this place?

Goood Frikin' Chicken. 10 29th St., Ste. 10 (at Mission), S.F. (415) 970-2428. Daily, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.

I've tried Goood Frikin' Chicken, though I only had the roasted chicken there which I liked quite a bit. If you like chicken shawarma, Truly Mediterranean has it instead of lamb at least once a week. My favorite shawarma is still the one at Ali Baba, but you should only order it if they actually have the skewer being grilled right there in front of you. Sinbad's in San Mateo is a Lebanese market/restaurant that has a pretty good Shawarma, though I normally order their ground meat kababs for lunch instead.

Have you tried Yumma's out in the Sunset? I really like their schwarma. It's on Irving, b/w 8th and 9th. The nicest people ever, great food. Nice patio in the back where you can enjoy your lunch. Nice spicy sauce that they will add to your wraps. The only thing there that I don't care about is their falafel -- for that, I go to Sunset Deli (I think that's the name) out on Irving around 25th.

I'll take Yumma's over Ali Baba's any day.

life begins @ thirty - my food blog