• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting your own stencils

Wendy DeBord

Anyone have opinions and experience cutting your own stencils?

I've cut my own stencils using an exacto knife and wax covered cardboard. They obviously have limited use as the cardboard self-destructs over time. I use these rigid stencils for tuiles only, so far. I also have purchased many stencils at craft stores over the years. I find the thin plastic stencils work well in some applications and not so well in others (such as air brushing on plates). So far, I like the small metal stencils the best for their detail of design and their size works best when used on my plates.

But I'd like to invest the time and effort to come up with far more versatile stencils for several applications. I'd like to cut my own stencils for: tuiles, poured sugar decorations, smaller air brush applications and xxxsugar designs for my plates.

The best selection on materials seem to be here: http://www.chefrubber.com/Shopping/shopdis...ting+%26+Tubing

Before I purchase, I'm curious if any of you have preferences and experiences on which sheets and depths work best for what purposes. Have you had any problems cutting through these materials? Is an exacto knife sufficient or do I need to invest in a heat type cutter? Any opinions and experiences on how well these materials handle repeat use, etc.?

Good post. I've been meaning to ask the same question for ages. So far the best thing I have found for tuile stencils are those large For Sale, For Rent, No Tresspassing etc. signs you can find everywhere. They are about 1/16 of an inch thick which works well for tuiles but they are somewhat hard to cut intricate designs into so I need to find something better for plate decorations.

Hopefully someone will have some good advice.

I like the link Wendy included to Chef Rubber......it's about time someone started supplying this stuff for chefs!

I've always used coffee-can type plastic lids to make my own stencils. They're free, and super easy to cut with an exacto knife. They're pretty flexible too....I don't like my stencils to be TOO

rigid.

The neoprene sheeting looks like it would be very good for the purposes that you are wanting it for. A cheaper alternative, and one that I use often, is a material I get from Home Depot. It is called shower pan liner and comes by the foot. It is very easy to cut with an exacto knife. Sometimes it can be hard to find in the store, although usually you could ask and they would find it.

Chris

Darn it, I've looked for that before (seen people mention it in PA & D tips column) and never been able to find it. In your home depot by what other items is this located (it's not near the shower stuff in my store)? Also, how durable is it over time?

The thing with the plastic lids is I have a dilemma that my plates slightly humps up in the center........so that's an obstacle to getting a clean impression. The clear plastic lids off containers just don't flex enough on my plates. If I cut the re-enforced sides off each lid it's better........

If I cut the re-enforced sides off each lid it's better........

Yeah, a lot of lids have re-inforced edges and/or ridges so I always cut them off, because of course I need the stencil to sit flush on the surface I'm working with. I'll bet if I cruised Home Depot or whatever, I could find some killer stuff to work with, but then you never know really

if it's food grade. That's why I like that Chef Rubber place! :smile:

Good post. I've been meaning to ask the same question for ages. So far the best thing I have found for tuile stencils are those large For Sale, For Rent, No Tresspassing etc. signs you can find everywhere. They are about 1/16 of an inch thick which works well for tuiles but they are somewhat hard to cut intricate designs into so I need to find something better for plate decorations.

Hopefully someone will have some good advice.

I went into my local Home Hepot one day last month looking for something to use for a stencil for tuiles that was larger than the usual sour cream container top that I was using ( they are only good for stencils that are smaller than their diameter), and happened to come across exactly what Aidensnd is talking about ( I wasn't really looking exactly for them -they just were hanging out at the end of one of the aisles and they happened to catch my attention as something that may be useful to me ). I picked up a few smaller ones for about $.97 a piece, and they work and cut fine with an xacto knife - I just remember to NOT spread my tuile paste on the side with the writing on it. To clean, I just rinse off the excess tuile paste with hot water. I have used them basically everyday since I have gotten them, and the writing is still attached, so I know it hasn't gotten into my tuiles. They also look just as new and sturdy as the day I got them.

Jason

Darn it, I've looked for that before (seen people mention it in PA & D tips column) and never been able to find it. In your home depot by what other items is this located (it's not near the shower stuff in my store)? Also, how durable is it over time?

The thing with the plastic lids is I have a dilemma that my plates slightly humps up in the center........so that's an obstacle to getting a clean impression. The clear plastic lids off containers just don't flex enough on my plates. If I cut the re-enforced sides off each lid it's better........

It is at the endof an aisle on a big roll that a Home Depot worker has to cut off. In the store here it is by the showers/tubs.

office supply stores are also full of things to use. there are plastic index dividers for three ring binders that are great. they aren't very expensive and they are very easy to cut with an exacto knife. they are also relatively flexible (thinner than plastic lids, no edges to cut off). remember to look for the all plastic variety, not just plastic tabs :blink: .

there are also commercial plastics stores that sell acetate or plastic sheets in varying thicknesses which are a little more expensive.

here in new york's chinatown, there's a great place called "canal plastics" which my boss has used to make plastic frames for pate de fruit and ganaches. the recipe is calculated to exactly fill the acrylic frame and we have a guitar to cut them with just about no waste at all. canal plastics can make almost anything you ask for and they're relatively reasonable. i think the frames were a little expensive, but the amount of money you save on waste more than makes up for it over time.

Ideally, I'd like to cut each design once (although on a 18 x 24" size with multiple images for production...everything has to be about production) and be able to use it for multiple applications: tuiles and hot sugar. I'm sort of done using materials that aren't totally up for the task.

Now.....when it comes to individual images to spray or dust onto a plate-there I'll pay less and use the shower liner stuff. So I'm off to Home Depot again, armed with more knowledge, thank-you.

The neoprene sheeting looks like it would be very good for the purposes that you are wanting it for.  A cheaper alternative, and one that I use often, is a material I get from Home Depot.  It is called shower pan liner and comes by the foot.  It is very easy to cut with an exacto knife.  Sometimes it can be hard to find in the store, although usually you could ask and they would find it. 

Chris

Wendy,

I think this is the stuff that is used underneath a tiled shower pan, so it may be the staff that deal with tiling supplies, rather than shower fixtures, that would handle it.

Fern

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a great stencil material this past weekend. It's acetate sheets to line kitchen cabinets, sold at The Container Store.

You can get a 18" x 48" sheet for aprox. $10.00......and a sheet pan is 18" x 24" so for 5 dollars a piece it's a steal (well minus your time to cut the shapes out).

It comes wrapped in blue plastic to protect it, so I used a marker to trase out my images (in mass). I'm able to use a small pair of sissors to cut it........the exacto knive takes 2 strong passes to cut it. It should last along time, but it's not heat proof. But thats o.k. I need some stencils for tuiles that I don't see using that large of an image for poured sugar garnishes.

I also ordered some neoprene sheets but it's taking for ever to arrive from Rubber Chef (plus they charged me $18.00 for shipping plus $4.00 for handling, too darn much I think!).

I've used their stencils before for walls and loved them. These are gorgeous for intricate work....

Melanie Royals also has very beautiful stencils and some stencil cutting equipment so you might check her out. Don't think any of her production work would fit into your needs but her supplies might be of interest.

http://www.royaldesignstudio.com/melanie.asp

Edited by JSkilling (log)

Josette