• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbacoa a la Chipotle

Al_Dente

It had been a while, so yesterday I dropped in on my local Chipotle for some tacos with their (in my humble opinion) oh so delicious barbacoa. :wub:

Given that I received a crock pot over Christmas, I thought I'd try to replicate their recipe.

What cut of beef should I use? What is our collective best guess at the other ingredients?

Shamelessly,

Al

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

chipotle is good?! I'm so excited (why you ask??) because there is very little good "real" or "fake" mexican in NYC. I've got to admit, I like both fake and real mexican, when it's good so I'm a bit psyched (psyched like sick curiosity) that one has opened a few blocks from my house (right next to Kanka on st marks).

sooooo:

what's good??

Any favorites?

Do they have dessert?

Lots of cilantro?

Funny combinations?

Sorry if I sound like a complete toad, but restaurant style chains are relatively new in the city (at least wide spread ones) I'm not talking times square, but it's a novelty to me....ooooh chipotle! wonder if they deliver....

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

chipotle is good?! I'm so excited (why you ask??) because there is very little good "real" or "fake" mexican in NYC. I've got to admit, I like both fake and real mexican, when it's good so I'm a bit psyched (psyched like sick curiosity) that one has opened a few blocks from my house (right next to Kanka on st marks).

Nothing to do with the thread, but you, my friend, are not spending NEARLY enough time in my neighborhood (way upper west side - Morningside Heights). There are several cute little places (Noche Mexicana and Taqueria y Fonda come immediately to mind) that are serving excellent and cheap Mexican food.

I'll be watching this thread with interest for a good crock-pot barbacoa recipe, as I'm also addicted to Chipotle's burritos...YUM...

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I would marinate/brine some cubed beef in a spiced orange/lime juice brine, and slow-cook it in the crock pot.

Actual barbacoa, as practiced in Mexico, often involves a goat, a hole in the ground, lots of time, and a few liters of pulque… overall not a bad way to pass the day so you might want to give that a try sometime...

Not from a crockpot recipe, but perhaps useful (or at least, interesting) nonetheless:

"A cook appeared with a huge steel kettle filled with water, beans, vegetables, garlic, and bunches of cilantro and epazote. This would become the consommé de cordeiro (lamb soup, flavored with the drippings) and it, too, is an essential part of barbacoa. The pot was lowered into the pit on top of the coals. Meanwhile, whole hindquarters or shoulders of lamb were wrapped and tied in flame-scorched maguey cactus leaves. The cook positioned the lamb on a metal rack over the kettle. The pit was then closed with a metal lid whose edges were sealed the old-fashioned way: with dirt.

The barbacoa will roast "underground," as it were, for 8 to 10 hours. When it emerges from the pit, it will be tender enough to pull apart with fingers. The herbal-tequilla taste of the cactus leaves, the herb-scented steam from the soup kettle, and the smoke from the wood will combine to produce a lamb with an extraordinary flavor - a lamb unique in the world of barbecue."

-from The Barbecue Bible by Steve Raichlen

In vino veritas.

It had been a while, so yesterday I dropped in on my local Chipotle for some tacos with their (in my humble opinion) oh so delicious barbacoa.  :wub:

Given that I received a crock pot over Christmas, I thought I'd try to replicate their recipe.

What cut of beef should I use? What is our collective best guess at the other ingredients?

Shamelessly,

Al

Chipotle's barbacoa is the best food in the world.

okay maybe not, but surprisingly good for what it is. I've tried replicating it to no avail and really hope you come up with something (and post it here). I know the meat is marinated with (among other things) juniper berries, and I think there might be a tiny bit of cinnamon as well. Other than that....?

Every time I go to Cleveland I make straight for the Chipotle's. sadly in N.C. we are stuck with baja fresh and qdoba.

This is the barbacoa recipe directly from Chipotle as reported by News 10 in Sacramento. It looks pretty tasty.

Edited because I can't type.

Edited by chile_peppa (log)
"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

This is the barbacoa recipe directly from Chipolte as reported by News 10 in Sacramento  It looks pretty tasty.

Interesting. But avocado leaves? 2 lbs of dried leaves? That seems like an awful lotta leaves-- not to mention the potential for smoke and maybe fire.

Perhaps I'll try this recipe without all that vegetation.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

This is the barbacoa recipe directly from Chipolte as reported by News 10 in Sacramento  It looks pretty tasty.

Interesting. But avocado leaves? 2 lbs of dried leaves? That seems like an awful lotta leaves-- not to mention the potential for smoke and maybe fire.

Perhaps I'll try this recipe without all that vegetation.

Plus, they can be toxic?

I just printed the recipe - with those references already removed.

Bill Russell

If you are using a slow cooker, I would use tough cuts of beef like stewing beef or brisket.

And yes, 2lbs of avacado leaves must be a typo, I would say two avacado leaves or sprig. Unless, you are laying down the beef on top on the leaves and then pit cooking them or wrapping them in foil and baking. And no, they are not toxic. There are two types of avacado and the kind used in Mexican cuisine are not, I repeat, are not toxic. Sorry the latin names of the two types have escaped me at the moment.

s

from the recipe it appears that 2 lb is not a typo. not without all that talk of scattering and what not. if the roast/brisket whatever is tightly covered - wouldn't there be enough moisture to keep the leaves from catching fire? i bet they do smoke though...i wonder if that's the point?

shelora brings up a curious point though - the recipe is clearly calling for the toxic leaves - unless they're just covering their bases...

in any case - al - will you post photos? :wub: i've never been, but my sister and BIL love it.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I was intrigued by the avocado leaves, too. I found this reference, which explains what they are. Apparently, not all types are toxic, and you can substitute other things. However, I cannot imagine using two pounds of bay leaves!

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I'd skip all of the avocado leaves entirely, blend either a bit of anise or a small handful of Thai basil w/ the rest of the herbs, spices and chiles; and chuck the whole thing in a crockpot on low for 8 hours or so.

When done, shred with forks and serve w/ tortillas and your choice of condiments.

Might have to try it.

I admit that I like do like Chipotle's "barbacoa" quite a bit, especially for 'fast food', but I do prefer Qdoba's take..and liked Qdoba's version even more when they were still Z-Teca.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

I based my barbacoa on the Yucatan. I love it.

Pork Shoulder (Bone in)

1/2 cup Achiote paste

1/2 cup fresh orange juice

1/2 cup fresh lime juice

2T cumin

8 garlic cloves

3 chopped chipotles in adobo

2T dried oregeno

Make a large "t" with foil in a 2 inch deep pan. Then do the same with some banana leaves. place the pork in the middle and pull up the sides to enclose the pork. Place all of the ingredients into the pocket and enclose the leaves and foil sealing everything in. Cook at 225 for 10 hours/overnight in the oven. Let cool, open the package and the meat will fall apart!! While shredding the meat, dip some tortillas in the annatto flavored fat floating on top and snack away. Season with salt.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I based my barbacoa on the Yucatan.  I love it. 

Pork Shoulder (Bone in)

1/2 cup Achiote paste

1/2 cup fresh orange juice

1/2 cup fresh lime juice

2T cumin

8 garlic cloves

3 chopped chipotles in adobo

2T dried oregeno

Make a large "t" with foil in a 2 inch deep pan.  Then do the same with some banana leaves. place the pork in the middle and pull up the sides to enclose the pork.  Place all of the ingredients into the pocket and enclose the leaves and foil sealing everything in.  Cook at 225 for 10 hours/overnight in the oven.  Let cool, open the package and the meat will fall apart!!  While shredding the meat, dip some tortillas in the annatto flavored fat floating on top and snack away.  Season with salt.

Looks great.

You've listed 1/2 cup achiote paste, what ingredients do you use? I say that because most of the other ingredients listed comprise an achiote paste, but equal more than one half cup.

Looks great nonetheless.

woodburner

Its just the paste from the mexican store. I always like more garlic, ect.. So I'm making the store paste a little more to my liking.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys