• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Penzeys ONE - merged topic

Cusina

Does anyone know what the content of Penzey's new publication will be? They have an advertisement in their current catalog, but it is extremely vauge and their web page has even less info. I'm just curious if it would be worthwhile to subscribe. The first issue supposedly comes out in November.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Your guess is as good as mine (and I work at one of their retail stores). Apparently, they wanted to do a cookbook, but decided they wanted to have something more often. It is supposedly going to begin with 6 issues a year. We just heard about this a week before the catalog came out. I think they are interviewing for writing staff right now. I offered up my services ( I write about food and city council, what a combo, for a local paper), but they want the entire writing team to be located at the warehouse in Brookfield.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Hmmm... sounds like they are still in development. Thanks for the info. I'm curious about it, I wonder if it will be sort of a "Taste of Home" style periodical or what. I'll just have to wait and find out I guess.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Yup, it's going to be one of those "No Advertising" type magazines (except of course for all of the Penzey's Spices).

I think they want to continue with the same type of writing and recipes, exactly the same stuff that's in the catalogs.

:rolleyes:

Shannon

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

• 4 months later...

http://www.penzeysone.com/

Penzeys catalogs have always been nicely done; informative and well photographed, with good recipes. I suspect their mailing list gives them somewhat of an advantage compared to other upstart food mags, but I still wonder about the concept.

SB (wishing he had some Penzeys Hot Chocolate Mix on hand for this weekend, with the forecast HIGHS below zero!)

I still wonder about the concept.

The perqs, which I thought were rather cheesey, were a turn off. Why would I be thrilled to have my name appear on their web site.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I still wonder about the concept.

The perqs, which I thought were rather cheesey, were a turn off. Why would I be thrilled to have my name appear on their web site.

That was one of the things that bothered me too, although I imagine you could opt out of it? That whole aspect smacked a bit of Penzeys management having been captured by marketing mavens. Still, the company has done a pretty good job of positioning so far, (store sales are expected to exceed mailorder this year, which I'm sure ties into the strategy), so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the the doubt.

Or, just wait until after the second issue comes out to subscribe, and avoid the Day One hype altogether?

I'm always on the hunt for new food magazines, but I'd wish for a bit more of a preview than two recipes before I decide.

I also think that the editing on the recipes isn't as tight as it could be. Missing commas, missing accent marks. I'm a bit fussy about that stuff, though it isn't crucial to the recipe.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until after the first issue is available and miss out on getting that snazzy pin.

Shucks.

Stephanie Kay

So Penzey's, the spice company, is putting out a magazine and wants people to pay for it? I am personally wary of any magazine published by a major player in that industry, I would wonder about objectivity, etc. I'm sure Penzey's is a great company, and I hear the spices are wonderful, but just as I'm not going to read an auto magazine published by Subaru due to the inherent bias it would be stuffed with, I will have to pass on a cooking mag from any food services company.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I have found some of the writing in the catalog irritating in the past, and the "Letter from Bill Penzey" irritates me too. The style seems, I don't know, faux-folksy to me. I also agree about the potential lack of objectivity.

• 4 months later...

Don't get your hopes up for correct grammar and appropriate use of punctuation. They ended up hiring and apparently letting go most of the original writing staff (at least that's what I hear through the gossip, I stopped working there a long time ago). Bill and his fellow "writers" wanted to do it all themselves. It was supposed to go to print last November. By now it should have been in its third or fourth issue. Gourmet? No. Bon Appetit? No. Saveur? Hell No! Taste of Home? Probably.

• 2 months later...

I got a complimentary copy of Vol 1 Issue 1 today. Anyone who expected the magazine to be nothing but an advertising vehicle for Penzeys products should be ashamed of themselves.

A clue to the magazine's focus appears on the bottom of the first index page where they proclaim, "No focus groups or consultants were harmed, or consulted, in the making of this magazine".

The publication is devoid of any pretense or nuance, so if you consider yourself worldly and sophisticated, don't waste your precious time on it.

It appears to be a genuine labor of love by some wonderful people. The stories are simple and well written, the photography is good, and the recipies look interesting.

Family, Fellowship and Food, in that order, would be a good description of the content. If a food magazine that can bring a tear to your eye might appeal to you, please check it out.

SB (will be a Charter Subscriber) :smile:

I got a free issue, too, and I enjoyed it, even the parts not about food like the family who adopted kids from three countries, and the two gay guys with triplets. Pretty cool, Penzeys!

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

I got a free copy as well. After an admittedly cursory look, it seemed a little thin to me as far as interesting cooking content.

But, nowadays, armed with egullet and Google, I find I don't buy many food magazines or cookbooks any more. Also, we get 3 newspapers, so every Wednesday (today!) there are 3 food sections to peruse also. Can't keep up with what I've already got access to!

I also got a complimentary copy, and I'm glad they sent one - otherwise I might have subscribed. To say it's not my cup of tea doesn't even start to cover it - not enough cooking, too many stories I am not interested in.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I'm certainly not going to subscribe. I've been a very big Penzey's fan for years, but here's what I don't get about One and their catalogue.

Everyone that I know who gets Penzey's Spices is a very devoted cook of many cuisines. They don't just get oregano, chili powder, and peppercorns; they get stuff that they can't get at their local supermarket and make interesting things, usually from across the globe. Check the backs of your best recent cookbooks, too, where the authors tout the wonders of Penzey's.

So why do Penzey's catalogues and One read as if everyone's terrified of remotely interesting cuisine? I mean, come on: "Delicious Saltines" (Zestas with chocolate chips melted on them)? "Shawn's Noodles" (ingredients: two packages of shrimp ramen noodles, water, hot sauce, and pepper)? Admittedly, there are a few international recipes in here, but give me a break. They're completely ignoring a core component of their market.

And don't try to sell me on some middle America argument, either. I got to know Penzey's while living in Milwaukee, and I knew a lot of Cheeseheads who toiled weekends to make curries and moles using their Penzey's stuff.

Harumph.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I found the magazine's layout so visually annoying that I would avert my eyes after about five seconds.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

"The publication is devoid of any pretense or nuance, so if you consider yourself worldly and sophisticated, don't waste your precious time on it."

Boy, you ain't kidding. Boring and i don't consider myself worldly or sophisticated. Seemed like a high school home ec project. :wacko:

I got a free issue, too, and I enjoyed it, even the parts not about food like the family who adopted kids from three countries, and the two gay guys with triplets. Pretty cool, Penzeys!

That's what I don't like about their catalog and why I'm not interested in their magazine. I don't need people telling me how important it is to have kids, or follow any other lifestyle for that matter. Admittedly, a lot of magazines have this problem. I don't subscribe to any of them.

I just got my complimentary copy last night and you are NOT kidding. I have worked in publishing and advertising for the past 15 years, and this publication looks like it was done by a 12-year-old with a computer and a copy of Quark Xpress. It would have behooved them to hire a publication design consultant to do an initial layout.

I currently subscribe to Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, Cook's Illustrated, and Fine Cooking. I don't see myself adding this one to my list.

I found the magazine's layout so visually annoying that I would avert my eyes after about five seconds.

Like I said, "one" is not for everyone.

There are already plenty of good, and not so good, magazines devoted to cusine for the haughty; consider this Bill Penzey's attempt at haute vulgarisation if you wish?

SB (after all, he did introduce a lot of people to good herbs and spices) :wink:

Received a copy of Penzey's first magazine entitled "One" a few days ago. It will be published bi-monthly.

Flipped through it and it's quite entertaining and informative, plus some unique recipes. I think I'll be giving it try.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I got a free copy of this yesterday and have to admit that when I flipped it open to the recipe for saltines with melted chocolate chips, I thought this is not for me. I love Penzey's products and am puzzled that this is the route they went.