• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Cooking at Home, 2005 - 2006

Susan in FL

Cooking thai food for someone who only eats seafood..  I have the shrimp tom yum.. Making a fried bass. Anyone have any other things to make.. Would scallops satay be good.

Bunches of stuff, trusting that fish is also permitted. Tod Mahn (bascially a fish or seafood "fritter", usually contining thinly sliced green parts of scallions). I love this accompanied by the cucumber/vinegar/pepper/slightly sweet condiment. Which would also pair nicely with scallops satay, although I would be tempted to satay the scallops "naked" and perhaps also offer a spicy peanut sauce. I've also marinated scallops in chili garlic sauce and grilled or seared them.

Fish in curry.

Steamed mussels.

Squid "larb" (actually, I don't think this is a larb, I do believe it would be called a "yam"). Squid (any fish or seafood would work), cilantro, lime, bird chilis, etc. Depending on time, you can either precook the "meat" or let the other stuff cook it for you.

Any sort of guay teo with seafood/fish.

Guay teo is wide ride noodles, usually purchased fresh, and vegetables and some sort of meat (or not; I include seafood in my term meat) with a "gravy" that is most often fish sauce and oyster sauce.

Shrimp or other fish or seafood in pad thai.

If you don't have David Thompson's tome, check it out of the library or buy it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hello to all. Does anybody know a greeting in a Thai language? :smile:

We skipped our weekly Thai last week, unless you count the Thai-style first course I improvised on Sunday, seared sea scallops in lemongrass broth. I still usually follow recipes for Thai, but I'm getting more confident in substitutions and variations, and hopefully will get to the point that I improvise more often and get a little more creative on my own.

We will probably have Thai Tuesday tonight. It didn't happen last night because I was too tired after work, and went to see the movie, Sideways instead and then ate leftovers.

I had the winning bid on eBay for Victor Sodsook's True Thai! What a great book. I am about mid way through reading it now. Interestingly, about woks he thinks that having a carbon steel wok must be used almost every day to be kept in well seasoned condition and he is partial to woks with non-stick finishes. What do you all think about that? What do you have? We are in the market for another one. Ours used to be my mom's and I think maybe it used to have a non-stick finish, but it no longer does. It is fairly well seasoned, but is small.

I also got The Elegant Taste of Thailand by Kongpan and Srisawat. It doesn't have the greatest recipes in my opinion, but does have some pictures that showed me what certain things that I was unfamiliar with look like.

I have continued my research for Thai cooking at home by having lunch at Thai restaurants a couple of times. :biggrin: I tried a new one and didn't like it as much as my original pick. I have discovered one dish that I didn't care for, Mee Krob. It was too sweet and sticky. I'm not sure if this was usual, or that they didn't prepare it well. Has anyone had better experiences with this?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Mee Krop is supposed to be sticky and sweet. I don't like it either!

Been sick, so haven't done much cooking. But, yesterday for lunch, I took out some chicken broth, boiled some of those chinese noodles (fresh, the kind they use in lo mein, called ba mi in Thai), added some cooked chicken, some bean sprouts and cilantro. Loaded it up with hot peppers and nam pla. Sure cleared out my "sciences." This is similar (but was not as good as) to the noodles we used to get off the noodle wagons. Think Pho but with different seasonings.

Since I'm home during the day, lunch is often difficult. I can only eat so many sandwiches and salads for lunch. One of the things I do every couple of weeks is make a huge pot of curry, and extra rice. Package rice and curry in individual containers and I have a really easy meal to reheat for myself. When I worked outside the home, this was probably my favorite lunch of all.

Larb nuea? Beef... lot's of chilies, added mint which we haven't previously and some Thai basil. Also, I threw in a handful of bean sprouts for no reason other than I have a large bag from my shopping spree the other day and didn't want to waste any of the 85 cents  worth I bought  :raz: . Of course I used the homemade toasted rice... I made extra this time so we can have more larb in a few days ( have leftover lamb in the fridge right now).

Mint, yes, but never Thai Basil in larb, and -gasp- never lemongrass either.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

The thing about fish sauce or Nam Pla...

Tiparos is a very old, very common Thai brand. I use it actually, I've always used it and like it just fine.

I think it's something that you have to go by your own taste. Why not buy a few recommended brands and just do a taste test and go with what you like most?

I often find too much Nam Pla, especially in more delicate seafood salads (yum) or soups (tom), could result in a dish that is out of balance or too fishy. What I do is when I make the dressing, I start with using Nam Pla until I get the Nam Pla flavor that I want, and then if I still need more saltiness I would add salt instead of using more Nam Pla.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

...and -gasp- never lemongrass either.

I have seen several Laab recipes from trusted sources with lemongrass in the ingredients. Wouldn't that fall under the category of "something that you have to go by your own taste", and doing taste tests, to go with what you like most? And Thai basil or whatever kind of basil too, for that matter...

...and -gasp- never lemongrass either.

I have seen several Laab recipes from trusted sources with lemongrass in the ingredients. Wouldn't that fall under the category of "something that you have to go by your own taste", and doing taste tests, to go with what you like most? And Thai basil or whatever kind of basil too, for that matter...

No, lemongrass has no place in Laab, period. Never. Nor do basils, not Grapow or Holy Basil, nor Horapa or Thai Basil.

It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of what comprises a particular salad called Laab. The key herb for Laab is sawtooth herb actually. Mint is ok, but sawtooth herb is really key to what makes a salad a Laab.

Adding lemongrass would turn the salad into a Yum or a Pla. Still tastes just fine I am sure, but it ain't laab anymore.

Oh, and while I am at it, Laab also uses dried chili instead of fresh.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

With all due respect to you, and I'm not claiming to have as sophisticated a Thai palate as you, but call it what you may... I will continue to use the recipes of Kasma Loha-unchit online, Alford and Duguid in Hot Sour Salty Sweet, and Victor Sodsook in True Thai and have lemongrass in my Laab. They can't all be "wrong." I think it's a matter of opinion.

And now back to the fun part..... :smile:

Well, this is an interesting issue I guess. I didnt' mean to offend anyone, my apology if I did. I am just saying what I know. And it's not that I am against experimentation and substitution, it's just that there has got to be a line somewhere.

I mean, would a Casoulet be a Cassoulet without any beans? I'm not entirely sure where the line is myself, but it's one of those--you know, when the line is crossed and you just know it. Mint in Tom Yum Goong would be the same thing, it just has no place in that dish.

Traditionally, there is a certain code on what spices and herbs go into certain dishes. Different types of curries, for example, are not only differentiated by color -as in red or green curry- but the spices and herbs that comprise each one. There is also a certain rule about what type of meat could go into each type of curry, you would never see a Massaman Fish in Thailand for example, because that particular curry paste is to be used with meat or chicken. You won't find Massaman Pork either, because the curry is a Thai muslim dish and so using pork is simplly sacrilege.

Of course you are allowed to put lemongrass in your salad, but why call it a Laab when there is a proper name for that type of salad with lemongrass and mint, it is called Yum or Pla. Or if you use tamarind in place of lime juice and leave out the ground rice, it would become a Koy.

Not that there's anything wrong with adding whatever pleases you into your own food, not at all, it will certainly be as delicious even if I don't think it's a laab anymore.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Pim, you didn't offend me, but I think you might have offended the cookbook authors I mentioned if they were reading this. :biggrin:

I understand having strong feelings about how you think certain cuisines and certain regional differences in those cusines should be... I am sometimes guilty of being opinionated about certain Italian cooking issues or "codes," as you put it.

However, what you didn't address and I wish you had, was that the addition of lemongrass must not universally cross the line into being another dish IF such prominent authors include it in their recipes and they still do call it laab (or larb or lahb :smile: ), not Yum or Pla.

Yes, it is an interesting issue, but the only reason I continued my part in this discussion is that lemongrass is so commonly listed by other experts in the ingredients. I didn't mean to offend you, either; I just wondered why the difference of their opinions from yours.

One of the things I love about Thai food is how visually appealing it is! This was the plate of accompaniments tonight.

gallery_13038_576_174567.jpg

I made Shrimp and Baby Corn in Chili-Tamarind Sauce, Spicy Beef Salad, Turkey Larb/Laab/Lahb -- I wish I would settle on one spelling (and what's your guess about whether or not I had lemongrass in it? :laugh: ), Jasmine Rice, and the usual accompaniments and table sauces. This may have been our best Thai dinner yet.

gallery_13038_576_44565.jpg

The shrimp and corn dish was the most different from anything I've made before. What pleased me about this dinner so much, besides how good it all tasted, was how each dish showcased flavors different from one another.

Cheers!

I tried Tom Kha Gai again. We had some leftover boiled crawfish, so I peeled a few tails and added them to the soup. Does that change the name? Anyway, I used the same recipe that I used the first time, with a few tweaks. I used about twice as much fish sauce and lime juice as the recipe called for, and still added a bit more to my individual serving after tasting. Excellent!

gallery_18691_840_105021.jpg

There's no butter or oil added to the recipe, so I'm guessing that's crawfish fat on the surface of the soup? Oh, duh. I guess it could be from the chicken pieces, although they were skinless, so I didn't figure they'd give up much fat.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Patti, I'm glad you posted your most recent Tom Kha Gai attempt in follow up. It sounds like those minor modifications helped it taste more to your liking. It sounds and looks :wub: delicious. I have yet to make it. Your post certainly gave me a needed shove.

I made Shrimp and Baby Corn in Chili-Tamarind Sauce,

Did you use a recipe or wing it? That just sounds wonderful.

And, the plate of accompaniments. I'm so ready to see edible flowers blooming in my yard...

I'm going to something Thai with noodles tomorrow night. Depends on what strikes my fancy at the local market tomorrow.

I used the recipe from my new book True Thai, by Victor Sodsook. I can't remember without looking upthread whether you have it... If not and you would like me to post it, I would be happy to. Gotta go to work now, though... L8r...

I used the recipe from my new book True Thai, by Victor Sodsook. I can't remember without looking upthread whether you have it... If not and you would like me to post it, I would be happy to. Gotta go to work now, though... L8r...

I don't own that book. I should probably check it out from the library to see if I want it! Yes, do post the recipe.

Susan- You food looks mouthwatering.

We will be having Thai tonight, specifically Pannang Curry from David Thopmson's book. I already stewed the meat in coconut milk. So tonight I'll pound the paste and finish the dish. I should post a couple of pics for your opinions as well.

I love the pad Thai recipe, actually it has become a staple in our home since my 1.5 year old son loves it! I still need to try some of his other noodles and soups though.

A question about Kefir lime leaves, since I have a hard time finding them even at the Asian markets. Funny enough Wole Foods and Central Market seem to have them more often. So can they be frozen? Thai Gourmet's website claims so. I want to buy a good quantity and freeze if possible, but Mr. Thompson clearly says this is not a good idea in his book. What do you folks think?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

A question about Kefir lime leaves, since I have a hard time finding them even at the Asian markets. Funny enough Wole Foods and Central Market seem to have them more often. So can they be frozen? Thai Gourmet's website claims so. I want to buy a good quantity and freeze if possible, but Mr. Thompson clearly says this is not a good idea in his book. What do you folks think?

I've cooked with frozen Kafir lime leaves from local Asian markets and with fresh from my local Whole Foods and I can tell you that the fresh are a whole lot better. They can be frozen but I'd stick with fresh if possible.

Yes, fresh if possible. I have a tree in a pot. Yes, it lives even here, in Minnesota (outside in the summer, in a sunroom in the winter.

One things I've noticed about the leaves, especially the older leaves on the tree -- they are almost oily, sort of a sticky oil. When you wipe it off, your hands smell like lime for hours.

Elie

Mr. Thompson doesn't think curry pastes should be frozen either. He's right that they do lose something when they're frozen, especially if they are not frozen carefully and exposed to the defrost cycles in a frost-free freezer. However, I freeze curry pastes/rempahs/sambals, lime leaves, cilantro root, lemon grass, tumeric, galangal, grachai, chillies, fresh green peppercorns, pea eggplants, etc. I would rather have something frozen then not have it at all. I would love to only use fresh stuff, but that isn't a reality where we live, and we cook SE Asian food year round. Some things, like galangal, I'd rather buy frozen from Thailand then fresh from Hawaii, because I think the fresh US grown one isn't pungent enough. There are a few things you can do to minimize loss of flavor when you freeze things, the most important is to wrap them carefully and in a way that you can get just a few out at a time without exposing the rest to air (and subsequently, moisture). The other thing is to store them in a freezer that doesn't have temp cycles. Lastly, if you start with the freshest and most vibrantly flavored stuff you'll be ok. Freezing something subpar to start with is a bad idea.

For lime leaves, if you buy them fresh, what works best is to lay them out on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and then roll it up tightly and store it in a freezer ziploc bag. When you need to use some you just unroll as much as you need. The quality does deterorate after a while, but we usually use ours up by then. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if they're not good anymore, their fragrance will be gone and they'll look oxidized.

regards,

trillium

Here is last night's Pannang Curry with beef. It came out excellent, I would've liked much more heat but my wife would not have eaten it. Usually I add more chillies to my portion but it just is not the same.

gallery_5404_94_180361.jpg

gallery_5404_94_80672.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tonight, I made "guay teo rad na)

gallery_6263_35_379898.jpg

With beef and chinese broccoli. I ad libed on the Hot Sour Salty Sweet recipe. The chili vinegar sauce is a must.

It was wonderful. Next time 'round, I'll do it with squid and shrimp.