• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food For Manly Men in DC?

s'kat

My husband and a friend are heading up to D.C. this weekend for a day at the International Motorcycle Show. They'll be staying at the Holiday Inn in Georgetown.

For dinner, they're going to be looking for a nice bistro with a killer wine list... perhaps even Italian. Let's face it, good pizza for that matter would never be looked down upon.

I'm not familiar enough with the layout of D.C. to garner from previous threads what they would be close to. The hotel is on 2101 Wisconsin Avenue.

Any lunch joints would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

*Please note that I just got off the phone with my husband, and he said to mention that he would love to find some dim sum, too. Here in po-dunk SE Virginia, we've only had frozen.

Could be tough as it is Restaurant Week. On the plus side, DC is compact enough that you can get to just about any place of interest in the city fairly easily.

The obvious answer, although it's probably booked solid by now, is to head across the Key Bridge to Ray's the Steaks. DC also has just about all of the big steakhouse chains (Morton's, Ruth's Chris, etc.)

There is very little good pizza in DC. 2 Amy's, Sette Osteria are among the best I've had. I have had miserable experiences at the Georgetown branch of Pizzeria Paradiso, others seem to like it. Caveat comesor.

HTH

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Second 2 Amys for pizza and it's not hard to get there from the hotel. Straight up Wisconsin a few miles and first left past the National Cathedral on Macomb St. Go for lunch, as they don't take reservations and weekend dinners are a riot. Also make sure to get a few pints of the LaChouffe on tap and to check out Darth Vader on the way past the cathedral.

For a bistro in the Georgetown area, they won't go too far wrong at Bistro Lepic, though this, too, can be crowded. If so, good alternatives would be either Montmartre on Capitol Hill (be wary of road closures etc. due to Inaugural preparations) or Bistro d'Oc downtown -- always a good fallback.

I don't know from dim sum, so can't help there, sorry.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Second 2 Amys for pizza and it's not hard to get there from the hotel. Straight up Wisconsin a few miles and first left past the National Cathedral on Macomb St. Go for lunch, as they don't take reservations and weekend dinners are a riot. Also make sure to get a few pints of the LaChouffe on tap and to check out Darth Vader on the way past the cathedral.

For a bistro in the Georgetown area, they won't go too far wrong at Bistro Lepic, though this, too, can be crowded. If so, good alternatives would be either Montmartre on Capitol Hill (be wary of road closures etc. due to Inaugural preparations) or Bistro d'Oc downtown -- always a good fallback.

I don't know from dim sum, so can't help there, sorry.

Just to add: The Holiday Inn Georgetown is really upper, upper Georgetown (past the Social Safeway), so Bistro Lepic would be a good choice as it is right across the street.

If he is around his hotel on Saturday between 1:00 and 4:00 he can venture about two blocks to the north for a free wine tasting at a store call Wide World of Wines, they are generally pouring some nice bottles.

If he likes sushi he is going to be about three or four blocks from Sushi-Ko a very good sushi restaurant. Also in the same area is Heritage India, for some great Indian food. One of the places in that area that I like is called Saveur, it is right across the street from the wine store I mentioned.

You should consider sliding into Firefly. On New Hampshire below Dupont Circle. They are not doing restaurant week so you might be able to find a table. Check out the separate Firefly thread on eGullet for more info.

edited to add: And Ray's the Steaks is a good choice as well. Best steaks in town and great, reasonably priced wine list, and the proprietor is an avid eGulleteer, as is the chef at Firefly. Best to try to get into Ray's either early (6:00) or later (after 8:30 at this late date).

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Keep in mind that the Georgetown Holiday Inn is not really in Georgetown, so you can't just walk out of the hotel and land in the thick of things.

On the other hand, the Austin Grill and the new pizza place (mediocre) that used to be Faccia Luna are in the same strip as Heritage and are right around the corner, and are good places to kick back before or after dining and wine. Also, if they're in the mood for some rock and roll, they should stand outside the Grog and Tankard about 11PM if you're in the 'hood and see how the band sounds -- you'll be able to hear. The bands range from high school kids on their first gig to some really excellent groups. See also "The Zoo Bar."

For guy food? Good Guys is just down the street, across from the Austin Grill. OK, I don't know if the serve food. Or wine. Actually, they're a strip club. But it is full of guys.

Stretch is a Brit and, as such, has a limited palate and has yet to figure out that the best way to eat at Two Amy's is to sit at the bar and order the non-pizza menu items -- roast rabbit wrapped in pancetta, say or the strong and extraordianry mackeral dish they were serving one night. There are always seats, you get to watch the co-owner at work preparing the dishes -- and talk with him -- and you can eat like an Italian instead of a tourist. Good wines, too. That being said, going early or late is still a good idea.

Cafe Milano in Georgetown is pretty Euro-butch, populated by alpha dogs of law and industry and the long-legged women who love them. More of a $2,000 Armani suit place than a leathers and boots place, but very guy-ish in it's own way, and with an excellent Italian wine list.

Also in Georgetown proper is Bistro Francais, a good go-to joint for mid-range French food. After a day of Hog-oriented testoterone it strikes me that steak tartar, frites and red wine would be an appropriate meal. It's open until 4AM, in case they want to rock out at the G&T first.

Club Asylum (near the McD's on 18th and Columbia) in Adams Morgan always has a dozen bikes parked out front. It appears to be 20-somethings in on their Suzukis and Moto Guzzis rather than 30- or 40-somethings on Harleys (and I don't know which your husband is), but since the demise of Old Mac's (in the late 70's) and The Crowbar (late 90's) it may be the closest thing to a biker spot around.

Found this by accident a list of places near the hotel. Funny, they don't list Good Guys or the Grog and Tankard. Other than what has been suggested before I'll confirm that Busara and Rcoklands are pretty decent -- not much dining in Rocklands, but they can pick up wine ore beer at Pearson's (saturday tastings) or Whole foods and smuggle the ribs back to the hotel.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

For dinner, they're going to be looking for a nice bistro with a killer wine list... perhaps even Italian.  Let's face it, good pizza for that matter would never be looked down upon. 

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar? This one's on my list for things to try, and I've heard good things here about their wine selection. Mendocino is not on Restaurant Week, so seating might not be a problem. Or at least not MORE of a problem.

Also in Georgetown proper is Bistro Francais, a good go-to joint for mid-range French food. After a day of Hog-oriented testoterone it strikes me that steak tartar, frites and red wine would be an appropriate meal. It's open until 4AM, in case they want to rock out at the G&T first.

Across from Bistro Francais (might be a block or so up M) is Old Glory where he can start making a dent in the 80 Bourbon Club. The tables and condiments lead me to believe that this establishment may offer some kind of food, perhaps BBQ-type fare, but I haven't looked into that particular aspect myself.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Stretch is a Brit and, as such, has a limited palate...

True. On the other hand, I do boast unmitigated gall. They asked for good pizza, Bumboy. Bacon-wrapped rabbits are a dime a dozen in Hampton Roads dontchaknow?

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

Never been to Bistro Francais, but BdC strikes me as pretty Guy Food-y for some reason. Not that I've been yet. One of these Saturday Nights, though...

"eGullet DC & DelMarVa: Where 'Guy Food' Can Definately Be French"

Matt Robinson

Thanks for all of the great advice. I'm printing this out, and noting down phone numbers and such. This is a great start.

Oh, and Busboy? It's not Hog-oriented testosterone*. My man is all about fine Italian machinery. :wub: But I'm there with ya on the steak n' frites.

*Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by s'kat (log)

That's a good point. The Brickskeller (s'kat: Supposedly the largest beer list available at a retail establishment anywhere) should be back up to form*, if they got their post-New Years pseudo-tax-evading beer shipment in.

Edit to Asterisk

* 'Form' as defined by 'have all or a significant majority of their beer in stock'. Your mileage with regard to seating, service, food, and atmosphere will still vary. But they should have the beer. I'll be there for a birthday party this Saturday, so I'll report back.

Matt Robinson

By Italian I assume Ducati, Bimoto, Aprilla? Nice. Assylum has a 65 Desmo suspended from the ceiling and its a real biker bar, both bikers with motors and those who deliver pakcages with pedals (more hardcore than any biker I ever met).

If he sees a Red 91 VFR on the DC streets tell him to wave and say hi to me. Not sure if I am going to the show as I hate looking at the menu when I can't order.

It's more impressive when they have everything they tout actually available...

'zactly, and that's their number one problem. However, since it's the new year, they should be stocked up, post-assessment. My former roommate works over there...I'll see if I can find out what the deal is. It should be good to go for the weekend, though.

Matt Robinson

It's more impressive when they have everything they tout actually available...

'zactly, and that's their number one problem. However, since it's the new year, they should be stocked up, post-assessment. My former roommate works over there...I'll see if I can find out what the deal is. It should be good to go for the weekend, though.

I once made the grave mistake of seeing how far I could go down their list, drinking solely 21 ouncers. As I recall, I died on Black Mamba from Ivory Coast.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Report from The Brickskeller: I was there tonight (will be again tomorrow for the birthday party), and my sourcestells me that 1) they are pretty well stocked up and 2) they have a lot of new stuff on the menu (at least a page or two of seasonals and new beers) but they are out of a good fraction of that, mainly due to the novelty value of the new menu offerings. All in all, a pretty good bet for the weekend.

Matt Robinson

if it's not too late, the best dim sum is at Fortune in Falls Church.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Alright, so the punchline is The Brick was batting around .250 (About par for the course, or less. in the bad sense) as far as 'Beers ordered that they actually had'. Had some tasty Belgians and the Stone 8th Anniversary IPA was tastey (And included a doctoral thesis on the back I had to take home to read later).

Matt Robinson

Had some tasty Belgians and the Stone 8th Anniversary IPA was tasty (And included a doctoral thesis on the back I had to take home to read later).

That's a whole new take on the old Playboy line. "But Honey, I only buy the beer for the articles!"