• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand Made Tortillas

Krys Stanley

I'm looking for places that sell store made tortillas. Actually any good tortillas would be ok. I kind of like those flavored yuppie tortillas they sell at the Ferry Plaza Market and the San Rafael Civic Center. I'm blanking on the name.

The best tortilla place I've found so far is Rincon Latino on Mission at Geneva. The handmade corn tortillas are hot off the grill (1/4 inch thick and 4 inches wide). They also have the best pupusas I have tried in SF. For any pupusa to be worth while it must be hot of the grill, so do not do take out.

Back to tortillas, I keep meaning to try La Palma on 24th st. And a recent post will have me checking out Otaez on International Ave in Oakland. Are there any other good fresh tortillas?

Rancho Gordo's tortillas are simply the best. Krys, since you are new and I am enjoying reading your posts, I feel I must warn you: stay away from his tortilla chips. Do not even try even one, even if he insists at the Farmer's Market and it hurts his feelings when you try and resist. Just say no. His chips contain large amounts of crack cocaine, and soon you will be hopelessly addicted. :biggrin:

The tortillas also must contain some drug, because they are moderately addicting, but not as bad as the fried chips.

Are you thinking of the Rancho Gordo tortillas that are available in Marin and at the Ferry Plaza FM?

I do not sell flavored tortillas!!!! <<gasping for breath>>

There aren't any flavored tortillas at the ferry building that I know of. Rancho Gordo (machine made from corn, water, lime, nothing else, made the evening before) and Primavera, which are the very thick hand made tortillas. These are excellent but very thick and different than the more common thinner ones. I don't know of any flour tortillas available.

In Marin, it's Rancho Gordo (as above) and what I think you might be thinking of, Santa Fe tortillas. These are flour tortillas flavored with chipotle, lime, tomato, etc.

La Palma has handmade tortillas but I think they are inedible. Far too thick and heavy. But it is fun to watch the ladies make them in the back. But be sure and pick up some of their freshly rendered manteca from the carnitas drippings. You will thank me!!!

Casa Lucas down the street is a busy place and has all the local brands in one place if you want to try them. I used to like a brand called Gran d'Oro but I don't know if they're still around.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Rancho Gordo's tortillas are simply the best. Krys, since you are new and I am enjoying reading your posts, I feel I must warn you: stay away from his tortilla chips. Do not even try even one, even if he insists at the Farmer's Market and it hurts his feelings when you try and resist. Just say no. His chips contain large amounts of crack cocaine, and soon you will be hopelessly addicted.

It's LOVE, M-L, simple pure unadulterated LOVE! Is that sooooo wrong???!!!????

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Rancho Gordo's tortillas are simply the best. Krys, since you are new and I am enjoying reading your posts, I feel I must warn you: stay away from his tortilla chips. Do not even try even one, even if he insists at the Farmer's Market and it hurts his feelings when you try and resist. Just say no. His chips contain large amounts of crack cocaine, and soon you will be hopelessly addicted.

Spoken like a true pusher... :biggrin:

Okay, I guess there are worse things to be addicted to... :wub:

We all want some of RG's LOVE... :biggrin:

Try La Tapatia Market on Grand Avenue in South San Francisco (right across the street from City Hall). They make tortillas on premises, both machine formed and also a small quantity of hand made. Have to get there early in the day if you want to get any of the hand made.

This store is great for all kinds of Mexican indgredients and deli items too.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

Are you thinking of the Rancho Gordo tortillas that are available in Marin and at the Ferry Plaza FM?

I do not sell flavored tortillas!!!! <<gasping for breath>>

There aren't any flavored tortillas at the ferry building that I know of. Rancho Gordo (machine made from corn, water, lime, nothing else, made the evening before) and Primavera, which are the very thick hand made tortillas. These are excellent but very thick and different than the more common thinner ones. I don't know of any flour tortillas available.

In Marin, it's Rancho Gordo (as above) and what I think you might be thinking of, Santa Fe tortillas. These are flour tortillas flavored with chipotle, lime, tomato, etc.

La Palma has handmade tortillas but I think they are inedible. Far too thick and heavy. But it is fun to watch the ladies make them in the back. But be sure and pick up some of their freshly rendered manteca from the carnitas drippings. You will thank me!!!

Casa Lucas down the street is a busy place and has all the local brands in one place if you want to try them. I used to like a brand called Gran d'Oro but I don't know if they're still around.

That's right, Santa Fe Tortillas. I'm insterested in seeing the reaction of my Guatamalan fiance when Ibring home some of these.

Thanks for your take on La Palma. I had a highly inedible pupusa there. Thanks for the tip on the manteca. Rincon Latino has a pretty good manteca also.

Can I interrupt this thread briefly to fawn. I LOVE your stand. This is not a solicited endorsement, no bags of free chips show up secretly on my doorstep at night.

I no longer frequent the Ferry Plaza Farmers market. but I have shopped at your stand at other markets when I was doing a tour of farmers markets. I just looked at your great website What I really like is that you educate people about what your products are and how to use them. I worked in Mexico City for a year and was lucky enough to do some touring in the area. There is an amazing untapped world of eating experiences that have nothing to do with Tex Mex. I think that people would embrace the exciting dishes of Mexico if they knew more about them. I know Rick Bayless does some of that. However, thank you for making some of the ingrediants available to a wider audiance that might not explore that little Latin Market. Also it is nice to have a source of unique top quality products that you couldn't find at those markets.

I haven't tried your tortillas yet. Either you were not making them at the time or they were sold out by time I got to the market. That is highly unlikely as I get to markets with the vendors before the good stuff is sold. The Diablo article on the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market linked on your site made me smile. The writer starts his shopping at 9 am. No, you get to the market at 7 am and wait in anticipation as they unload the boxes.

Anyway, when is the cookbook coming out? How about the restaurant. The Bay Area could use a Mexican restaurant that offers more diverse dishes. If you saw my post on menudo, I'm in constant search of a good pozole. Maybe I'll be brave and try your recipe. Not being much of a cook, I hate to do that to your beautiful hominy. It never occurred to me that your eGullet name had to do with the Rancho Gordo products. Duh.

Ok. Official end of rave. Back to talk of tortillas.

Edited by Krys Stanley (log)

Try La Tapatia Market on Grand Avenue in South San Francisco (right across the street from City Hall). They make tortillas on premises, both machine formed and also a small quantity of hand made. Have to get there early in the day if you want to get any of the hand made.

This store is great for all kinds of Mexican indgredients and deli items too.

Pamela,

Thanks so much for the tip. I may be down that way tommorrow and will check this place out. I'm really surprised and happy about the response to this post. I don't cook well, but I shop well. So my gift to my Guatemalan fiance is to haul home some of the best tortillas in the area.

Can I interrupt this thread briefly to fawn. I LOVE your stand.  This is not a solicited endorsement, no bags of free chips show up secretly on my doorstep at night.

Thanks so much! You are very generous and I hope you'll introduce yourself if you find me at a market again.

I'm blushing!

Anyway, when is the cookbook coming out? How about the restaurant. The Bay Area could use a Mexican restaurant that offers more diverse dishes. If you saw my post on menudo, I'm in constant search of a good pozole. Maybe I'll be brave and try your recipe. Not being much of a cook, I hate to do that to your beautiful hominy.

The cookbook would be fun- the restaurant NEVER!!!! Especially after reading eGullet for a year!

But I think you should try making pozole. It's not so hard and the feeling you get from eating your own food feels better than paying the check at a mediocre restaurant.

Thanks again!

Twitter @RanchoGordo