• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okinawa Purple Sweet Potato

helenas

Does anybody have ideas of what is the best way to cook this sweet potato?

Elisabeth Schneider's Vegetables book doesn't say much except that it cooks to a lilac hue and is particular popular with chefs although she hadn't be able to obtain it for sampling...Well i had, and so eager to try. i surely googled but i would like to hear a personal experience of those who cooked and/or sampled Okinawa potato themselves.

My current thinking is to bake it on bed of kosher salt and go from there - don't know where yet :sad:

I found this site through the magic of google.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I cooked it the same way I do all sweet potatoes. I really didn't treat it any differently, although I did find that is much drier than most and didn't have that much flavour. It's in abundance at my local market right now, but truthfully, I have no interest. I'd much rather have yam. Let us know what you think of it when you do get around to cooking it.

I have cooked with it as well and agree with peppyre, it is quite flavorless and dry . Baking, roasting and simmering do nothing for it, I used it in a potato salad with a mix of white potatoes and it was quite good.

In Japan it seems to find its way mostly into sweets, cakes, ice creams, deep-fried andthen coated with sugar....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I baked them whole tonight and enjoyed those potatoes a lot: incredible plummy flavor, gorgeous color.

Tried to play with sprinkling some herbs but honestly they didn't need anything except for a good knob of french butter.

Highly recommended for those who prefer boniato-type sweet potatoes.