• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congratulations, Katie!

rlibkind

IIRC, Fresser be from that great Chicagoland area.

Thanks for briefing the crew, Herbacidal!

Indeed, I am from Chicagoland, having been born, bred and educated here. I was an English major at the University of Chicago, where I still serve as an alumni recruiter and avid buyer of college sweatshirts and things.

From what I can tell, Sandy, Chicago is sorely lacking in barbecue, though I'm eager to try some genuine 'cue.

Wait--that reminds me of one of Fresser's Funny Stories!!!

When I was at the U of C (located on Chicago's South Side), some intrepid students would cross the invisible borders of Hyde Park into the decidedly rougher parts further south in search of barbecue and whatnot. One night around 1 A.M, a group piled into a beat-up tan Dodge Dart with a blue trunklid and schlepped to Leon's B.B.Q. at 79th and Stony Island Avenue for some fine repast.

When they exited, a neighborhood resident scowled at the group's driver and muttered, "Silly white boy--you in the wrong 'hood!" (When I heard this story recounted later, I thought, "It's the trunk of his car that's the wrong color, not the hood..." :huh:) Resident then smashed a beer bottle on the car's windshield as the group all beat a hasty retreat.

I never did find out how the barbecue was...

Edited by Fresser (log)

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

...You've just given me another idea for an infusion flavor.  Maybe something akin to "tomato water" with the vodka, or a "gazpacho" flavored infusion of some sort?  :hmmm:

Katie--

Blue Hill at Stone Barns is serving a Bloodless Mary, and it was made with tomato water. I am NOT a fan of tomato juice and was happily (OH so happily) enjoying my purple basil mojito (hey--it was after Noon, and even if it hadn't been, I just had to order one) but did actually taste the Mary. And it was gorgeous. If you like tomatoes/tom juice, that is... I'm sure it involves hours of straining...all that for, um, tomato juice. Water. Whatever.

Ring up Dan Barber and ask how he's making them! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The "Bloody Shame" idea was approved, so I suspect those will be available some time later this week. There's several big events early this week so even though I spent the whole day in front of my computer at the office today, new products probably won't be added until at least Wednesday or Thursday. I was too busy just getting an initial inventory together and finding all manner of random unknown bottles of wine lurking behind the bar and in storage today. I'd swear that chardonnay bottles multiply like bunnies when you aren't watching them. I'm planning on compiling a list of bottles that we have a limited supply of and put them up for sale at bargain prices, just to make space for new products. There's only so much space where wine can be stored or kept chilled for service and there's a bunch of random single bottles that need to find a home on someone's table with their dinner.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time there last night, Katie!

It was a pleasure meeting you, finally, and the food and wine were super!

You already seem at home, enjoy and keep smiling!

Thank you for your hospitality!

P.S. The "plateau" was delicious. I think I like Washington oysters better than all others.

Philly Francophiles

Had a great time there last night, Katie!

It was a pleasure meeting you, finally, and the food and wine were super!

You already seem at home, enjoy and keep smiling!

Thank you for your hospitality!

P.S. The "plateau" was delicious. I think I like Washington oysters better than all others.

It was really my pleasure. Enjoyed chatting with you and the hubby immensely. Thanks for stopping in. I'm still working on Chef for the "Fruits de Mer Americaine" idea...

And I'm right there with you on the WA oysters. I've enjoyed those a lot too. I think the waters there must be cleaner and colder.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I went last night ,sat at the bar and caught up with derrick,also met the guys who do the rappanap? oysters from virginia,everything was very good one of the best happy hours around!

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Okay, Katie, Congrats -

I am someone who works nearby, and have been to SSOH only three times in 7 years of working in the city.

Why? No good reason. None at all.

But since reading about the things you have planned, I am coming in for lunch - as soon as I can walk there without having loss of ears. I am going to try a selection of your oysters at the bar, and investigate your wine list.

I am a very recent convert to eGullet, and as such, by definition, a s.l.o.w l.e.a.r.n.e.r . :blink:

I will be there and ask for Katie - I do like the place, and have no good reason for not being there more.

Glenn

Welcome to eGullet Glenn! I'll be happy to see you when you stop in. And Greg Ling - wished I'd known you were here so I could have introduced myself. I'm really enjoying having folks come in to say hello. I'm here every day but Saturdays at the moment, and am closing Sunday, Monday and Friday nights so I get in a bit later in the day on those days. But always ask if I'm in so I can say hi! I love having so many eGullet folks pop in to say hello, and I definitely value your feedback on the restaurant.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The only times I've had oysters cooked they've been fried or steamed.

Raw oysters aren't bad but I do miss them steamed with ginger and scallion.

I forget what kind, I just remember that they were really big and we sold them for $2 each at a Chinese restaurant back in the mid 90s.

Herb:

I believe I've had this dish or one remarkably similar at Shiao Lan Kung, so you can still go feed that jones if you feel the need. And yes - the oysters they use are enormous, sometimes the shell is as big as my hand. But they are really delicious.

You should try the ones steamed with XO sauce and minced pork Really good.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

• 1 month later...

I stopped by SSOH for the first time since Katie joined that esteemed establishment and she greeted my party of three effusively and regally! The food, of course, was everyting I expected, but Katie's wine choices helped make the meal for me (I was the only drinker tonight). Especially a bubbly from the extreme western Loire Valley she insisted I try with my oysters. I split an order of half a dozen between Fanny Bays from British Columbia and Moonstones from Rhode Island. Both were good but the Rhode Islands were more to my taste. For the remainder of my meal I enjoyed a cup of rich snapper soup (splashed liberally with sherry to moderate its unctious richness) and an appetizer order of calamari, perfectly fried, virtually greaseless. My dining companions went for the scallops and the Maryland crab cake. The scallops were perfectly done, and the crab cake had the maximum amount of crab and minimum amount of binder you can have and still call it a crab cake.

Thanks again, Katie (and Cary, and our server, Annamaria) for a splended supper!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Stopped by SSOH tonight for a great happy hour. Ordered a half dozen blue points and a dozen cherrystones for the happy hour appetizer which were pretty tasty; especially the clams with a spritz of Tobasco and lemon. Next came dinner which consisted of a grilled bronzino with a baked potato and creamed spinach. Light, flaky meat which had a nice taste from the grilling. Not fishy at all, although since it was a smaller fish, you had to be careful of bones. The creamed spinach added the perfect complement. Dessert was a huge piece of bread pudding covered with a sugar frosting glaze and a fantastic whiskey sauce. Add to that a couple of pints of Yards Philly Pale Ale and it made for a very "happy" happy hour. Also found out that Sly Fox beer will soon be available on tap. First up I believe is Sly Fox Royal Weisse which will hopefully appear some time early week. I will be spending a lot of time on Sansom Street.

Stopped by SSOH tonight for a great happy hour.  Ordered a half dozen blue points and a dozen cherrystones for the happy hour appetizer which were pretty tasty; especially the clams with a spritz of Tobasco and lemon.  Next came dinner which consisted of a grilled bronzino with a baked potato and creamed spinach.  Light, flaky meat which had a nice taste from the grilling.  Not fishy at all, although since it was a smaller fish, you had to be careful of bones.  The creamed spinach added the perfect complement.  Dessert was a huge piece of bread pudding covered with a sugar frosting glaze and a fantastic whiskey sauce.  Add to that a couple of pints of Yards Philly Pale Ale and it made for a very "happy" happy hour.  Also found out that Sly Fox beer will soon be available on tap.  First up I believe is Sly Fox Royal Weisse which will hopefully appear some time early week.  I will be spending a lot of time on Sansom Street.

Yeah, dig it: Katie the wine guru is SERIOUSLY tuning up the BEER menu at SSOH! Those visits to the Grey Lodge seem to have rubbed off! That's when you know it's good to have a dedicated food professional and rabbid foodie running a restaurant: they devote themselves to improving each and every aspect of the experience. Watch for some impressive beer upgrades!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Yeah, dig it:  Katie the wine guru is SERIOUSLY tuning up the BEER menu at SSOH!  Those visits to the Grey Lodge seem to have rubbed off!  That's when you know it's good to have a dedicated food professional and rabbid foodie running a restaurant: they devote themselves to improving each and every aspect of the experience.  Watch for some impressive beer upgrades!

Thanks for the plug boys! Yes - I've decided that it's time to kick up the beer a notch too. We only have 8 taps, but I figure with a brewpub right upstairs it's probably a good idea to start playing hardball with the beer menu. Besides - it guarantees me more frequent visits from all of you! :wink:

My next mission is to have the appropriate parts installed for a nitrogen powered line for some Sly Fox Stout! Since we now serve Bass Ale we'll be able to pour Black & Tans as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I think that Katie is general manager at SSOH is fabulous (I am just catching the thread now). When I was last there with my wife a few months ago, I did find the staff particularly warm and that was a plus. As I recall, the appetizers were just okay, and the beer selection was poor. Also, there was no one there so we were lonely. But so far as "placement," SSOH meets a need that no other restaurant in the city can, and I am more than willing to give the place another few shots to appreciate the improvements Katie may have made since out last visit.

David Bresch

I think that Katie is general manager at SSOH is fabulous (I am just catching the thread now). When I was last there with my wife a few months ago, I did find the staff particularly warm and that was a plus. As I recall, the appetizers were just okay, and the beer selection was poor. Also, there was no one there so we were lonely. But so far as "placement," SSOH meets a need that no other restaurant in the city can, and I am more than willing to give the place another few shots to appreciate the improvements Katie may have made since out last visit.

David Bresch

David:

My thanks for the vote of confidence. Slowly but surely I've been able to adjust the wine list, beer selection, Happy Hour choices, etc. I hope to see you on your next visit and would appreciate your feedback.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

OK beer geeks! The nitrogen tank and slow pour tap have been installed and the Sly Fox O'Reilly's Stout is now flowing at SSOH! Black & Tans too! I need to sell out of the Yeugling Lite (blech!) and then the Sly Fox Royal Weisse is in the house and on deck for tapping. Other recent additions are Stoudt's Abbey Triple, and Flying Fish E.S.B.

The beer selection is officially upgraded and ready to roll with your oysters. Come on in!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

The latest of my mad science experiments has garnered a tiny blurb in today's Philadelphia Inquirer:

Lookee Here

Sadly, I was absent when the photographer came to take the accompanying photo. There's a bit too much cocktail sauce in that Horseradish Oyster Shooter in the photo. It should only be a tiny dollop. The horseradish flavor comes from the slow infusion process, not the ketchup and vinegared prepared horseradish in the cocktail sauce.

There's also a small batch of house infused Horseradish Tequila for the truly daring. The flavor profile of horseradish (sharp & earthy) seemed a natural for the infusion. Imagine an Oyster shooter of Horseradish tequila followed by a wedge of lime sucked between your teeth.

Quien es mas macho? :hmmm::biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Quien es mas macho?  :hmmm::biggrin:

Thanks for my biggest laugh of the day (at least, so far), Katie! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."