• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congratulations, Katie!

rlibkind

For those who haven't been keeping up with the Pizza Club thread, our forum co-host Katie Loeb has taken on a new gig as General Manager of one of my favorite restaurants, the Sansom Street Oyster House. It can only get better! Congrats, Katie.

Question: Upon agreeing to the new post, did you get a signed photo of Cary Neff and his Vita-Mix from the "Famous Chefs Naked" series?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

For those who haven't been keeping up with the Pizza Club thread, our forum co-host Katie Loeb has taken on a new gig as General Manager of one of my favorite restaurants, the Sansom Street Oyster House. It can only get better! Congrats, Katie.

Question: Upon agreeing to the new post, did you get a signed photo of Cary Neff and his Vita-Mix from the "Famous Chefs Naked" series?

Huge congrats,Katester! A great person running a great restaurant, finally.

And another place I'll never be able to sneak into.....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

While we're congratulating Katie on the SSOH gig (indeed congrats!) she also deserves some props for a groovy GruVee article in Philly Style. I don't see it on line anywhere, so you'll just have to go buy the magazine.

Which you ought to do anyway, if you can lift it -- it's about the size of a phone book this month. It's got a great article on romantic dining spots by Rich Pawlak, and (good god, the magazine is just lousy with eGulleteers!) a brief review by Andrew Fenton as well.

I only read it for the food writing, I wasn't looking at the lingerie models, honest.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Congratulations on the new job!

trink39.gif

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Which you ought to do anyway, if you can lift it -- it's about the size of a phone book this month. It's got a great article on romantic dining spots by Rich Pawlak, and (good god, the magazine is just lousy with eGulleteers!) a brief review by Andrew Fenton as well.

I only read it for the food writing, I wasn't looking at the lingerie models, honest.

I was reading the magazine in the airport this weekend. Found myself strangely torn between the sins of pride and lust; gluttony had already been taken care of at the restaurant, I guess...

Katie, on the other hand, can fully indulge in pride. oh yeah.

Aw shucks guys! :blush: Thanks so much to all of you for the props. It really makes me happy that so many people refer to my new place of employ as "one of their favorites"! Truly this is one of the best restaurants in Philly, but sadly, seems to fly under the radar a bit. I wonder if maybe it just gets taken for granted, having been around so long, or perhaps because it isn't hip and trendy or trying to compete with the multitude of places that are. It's very old school, a true Philadelphia Fish & Oyster House in the manner of such places that have been popular here for a century or so. Even the old Victorian oyster plates that decorate the walls hearken back to another era. It's a comfortable, unstuffy and casual sort of place. But there's no reason that a "casual" restaurant shouldn't have four star service. Great service and hospitality don't have to imply "Jackets Required". That's what I'm hoping to accomplish. Just raise the bar a bit. I'm working on the wine list and the draft beers, I'm going to institute some great Happy Hour specials to go along with the inexpensive clams and oysters on the half shell that we serve from 5-7 PM Monday-Friday, and hopefully the minor improvements will translate into more and happier customers.

Fresser, to answer your question, this job actually came and found me. The opportunity to really have such a fundamental influence on the restaurant at every level was too much of a challenge to pass up. I'd been with my previous employer for over three years and my head had hit the glass ceiling, so I took it as a sign and some cosmic flattery that this gig sort of landed in my lap.

Bob - when I was doing a little research about the restaurant during the interview process I did indeed come across Cary's "Still Life Naked with Vita-Mix" photo. He doesn't know I've seen it, and until he knows me and my sense of humor better, I think I'll keep it that way. Although the thought occurred to me to say "Hey, I've seen you naked!" during my final interview, right after I accepted the offer. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Congrats Katie.

Now lets get down to business, what oyster selection do you recommend for tomorrow evening.

This week we have:

Belons

Katchemak Bay

Cape May Salts

Kumamotos

Island Creek

Rappahannock River

Wellfleets

and York oysters.

Also have Cherrystone clams.

My personal faves are the Cape May Salts (briny and creamy) - a local farmed product that I am happy to support.

Like Lisa, I love the Kumamotos. They are buttery and have a subtle metallic taste that's great with mignonette sauce.

Haven't tried the Katchemak Bay but hear tell that they're really good. I know they're pretty hard to find. I believe we may be one of the only East Coast restaurants that serve them.

And I happen to really like Cherrystone clams. I realize they're so inelegant and more rubbery than an oyster, but when I close my eyes and eat one with a squeeze of lemon on it, I am standing on the dock at the Lobster House in Cape May watching the fishing fleet come in with the day's catch on a sunny summer afternoon. Even in the dead of winter it's like a tiny little vacation to eat a Cherrystone clam like that. It's a powerful sense memory for me. :smile:

I shall definitely be in tomorrow evening. Please ask for me and say hello!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

<snip>

When I was doing a little research about the restaurant during the interview process I did indeed come across Cary's "Still Life Naked with Vita-Mix" photo.  He doesn't know I've seen it, and until he knows me and my sense of humor better, I think I'll keep it that way.  Although the thought occurred to me to say "Hey, I've seen you naked!" during my final interview, right after I accepted the offer.  :laugh:

</snip>

YEA, KATIE!!!!

Are you sure the fellow in question isn't a lurker here? :raz: Hope he has a good sense of humor; seems like he must, though, or he wouldn't have posed for a picture like that, right? :wink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Wow, I've never been to an Oyster House, I should go check it out sometime...

What are these happy hour oyster specials that you run now? I checked around the website a bit but didn't find anything firm there, just a 10% off coupon... Actually, speaking of coupons, one of your first actions as a wine-saavy GM should be to fix that 'free glass of wine' coupon on the website so that it doesn't apply to just White Zin :laugh:

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

YEA, KATIE!!!!

Are you sure the fellow in question isn't a lurker here? :raz: Hope he has a good sense of humor; seems like he must, though, or he wouldn't have posed for a picture like that, right? :wink:

In fact he does lurk here occasionally, at my urging. I guess that might come back and bite me on the butt now, eh? :rolleyes::biggrin:

What are these happy hour oyster specials that you run now? I checked around the website a bit but didn't find anything firm there, just a 10% off coupon... Actually, speaking of coupons, one of your first actions as a wine-saavy GM should be to fix that 'free glass of wine' coupon on the website so that it doesn't apply to just White Zin  :laugh:

Actually one of my responsibilities is to act as liason between the restaurant and our web hosts. Once I've gotten the rest of my tools like my own prorietary spreadsheets and programs (patience - it's only my third day!) in place I'm going to start tackling that sort of stuff for sure. And the wine list is obviously one of my first priorities. I'm hunting for some interesting and "oyster/fish appropriate" wines by the glass to start. There will be other pink wine too, but I'm going to find a lovely dry rose to go with the Boulliabaise that we serve every Wednesday. A tiny little vacation to Provence in a glass! :smile: Also trying to find other reasonable "house wines", both red and white to compliment the regular Happy Hour special of $5/half doz. oysters or $2.50/half dozen clams between 5-7PM Monday-Friday. Hoping to be able to serve the Happy Hour house wines for $4-5/glass.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Actually, speaking of coupons, one of your first actions as a wine-saavy GM should be to fix that 'free glass of wine' coupon on the website so that it doesn't apply to just White Zin  :laugh:

The web designers selected the appropriate color for the white zin image. :rolleyes:

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

$5 for a half dozen? OK, I'll definately have to drop by sometime soon, I've had a hankering for Oysters lately anyway.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Congratulations, Katie! How divine to have all those wonderful oysters available to you whenever you want some. :biggrin: We really enjoyed the Cape May's when we first had them at SSHS. The Kachemak(sp?) were not our cup of tea, but every other oyster recommended to us that evening was just wonderful. :rolleyes: The Kachemaks were not recommended, but we wanted to try them anyway.

We'll have to try and get back to Philly on a week day and take advantage of the great oyster prices. Good luck! You will certainly be a breath of fresh air for SSHS!

KathyM

I would like to add my congratulations also, Katie.

Way to go!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

$5 for a half dozen?  OK, I'll definately have to drop by sometime soon, I've had a hankering for Oysters lately anyway.

wait, not ALL the oysters cost $5, do they? i thought it was only the cheap ones. which aren't bad ones, just not, like, kumamotos.

or at least it was that way the last time i went there. katie, if you've changed that policy in the last three days, i'm canceling my dinner reservations tonight and coming to gorge at happy hour instead...