• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heidelberg end of April

lcdm

My family and I (five in total; 3 adults, 2 children) will be traveling to Germany and France at the end of April. We are flying into Frankfurt and will stop in Heidelberg (or there about) for a few days before continuing to the Alsace region in France. Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) hotel/inn and restaurants. I would prefer staying and eating at locally owned places (as opposed to chain places).

Thanks,

Lisa

My family and I (five in total; 3 adults, 2 children) will be traveling to Germany and France at the end of April. We are flying into Frankfurt and will stop in Heidelberg (or there about) for a few days before continuing to the Alsace region in France. Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) hotel/inn and restaurants. I would prefer staying and eating at locally owned places (as opposed to chain places).

Thanks,

Lisa

How many EUROs would you spend for a night per person.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Thanks for your response, for accomadations I'm thinking 2 rooms (a triple and a double) priced about 100-150 Euro (less would be nice). For places to eat we were thinking moderately priced traditioanl food.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your response, for accomadations I'm thinking 2 rooms (a triple and a double) priced about 100-150 Euro (less would be nice). For places to eat we were thinking moderately priced traditioanl food.

I recommend 'Neckargemuend', about 15 M east of Heidelberg.

Personal friend of mine owns the "Griechische Weinstube", Neckarstrasse 38 in Neckargemuend (ZIP D-69151) Tel: 01149-6223-2285, his name is Norbert Girnth, he is a Master Chef and a Judge of International Cooking Competitions. In the early Nineties he hosted a Delegation of American Chefs from the American Culinary Federation on tour of Europe for 14 days. I was their translator.

Anyway, next door to his Restaurant is a very nice local 1st Class Hotel, he has connections! Ask to be put up there.

Don't let the Greek sounding name of his place distract you, as his dad was a Wine merchant importing mostly Greek wines in the '20s/'30s. The food is strictly 'typical German'

Note my BIO and you will understand my connections to him.

A very fine place to eat in Heidelberg is the Hotel Zum Ritter, Norbert can advise.

Let me know how you fared.

Peter

I've personal experience at the Hotel Zum Ritter and Weisser Bock, both very centrally located in the old town. I preferred the lodgings at the Weisser Bock, and the restaurant there was quite good. I didn't have a chance to eat at the Zum Ritter, but it looked nice.

The Weisser Bock has a partner hotel, the Kulturbrauerei which looks very cool from the pictures. It's in a quieter neighborhood, not so near the town square, and the restaurant (where I have eaten, in the Brauhaus room) was very good.

Both of these hotels offer suites as well as rooms, and the price points are on the mark.

Have a great time---Heidelberg's a fun town for walking, especially with kids. They'll enjoy watching boats go through the locks on the Neckar.

Can you pee in the ocean?