• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who's got time to cook?

dougery

If we're talking about hiring a housekeeper, why not go the extra step and hire a cook?  ....if the idea is to spend more time with the kids.

A housekeeper is generally a once a week deal, not somebody who is there every day.

Unless you've got really amazing resources you're unlikely to find a cook who cooks as well you do.

Somebody who comes in and cooks a whole week's worth of meals in an afternoon (a personal chef) would be a reasonable option if you're really strapped for time. My husband and I both worked full-time (very very full-time) and we had two little kids and I still managed to cook. We did have a live-in at one point who did some cooking, but in the end it wasn't worth it.

Can you pee in the ocean?

A friend of mine was telling me about this place where folks get together and cook a weeks worth of meals at one time for a set price. I have never heard of this before. Is this something worth investigating? Does this type of arrangement result in quality meals for a family? It sounds interesting but I question the quality of meals produced from such an arrangement.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

A friend of mine was telling me about this place where folks get together and cook a weeks worth of meals at one time for a set price.  I have never heard of this before.  Is this something worth investigating? 

I have no firsthand experience with anything like this, but just from the sound of it, I'd suspect it'd be better for young singles or newlyweds with little cooking experience, and a desire to increase their knowledge and skills, as well as expand their social circle.

I can see how it would quickly become another social obligation and a time-stealer causing you to be away from your family, exactly the opposite from what you're trying to accomplish.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A friend of mine was telling me about this place where folks get together and cook a weeks worth of meals at one time for a set price.  I have never heard of this before.  Is this something worth investigating? 

I have no firsthand experience with anything like this, but just from the sound of it, I'd suspect it'd be better for young singles or newlyweds with little cooking experience, and a desire to increase their knowledge and skills, as well as expand their social circle.

I can see how it would quickly become another social obligation and a time-stealer causing you to be away from your family, exactly the opposite from what you're trying to accomplish.

Agree with James. Somebody who cares enough about food to be active in eGullet's probably not going to be thrilled with this set-up.

My cooking changed quite a bit when I had a newborn - time sensitive recipes got put aside, things that didn't require a lot of attention came to the forefront. I made a lot of braises, long cooked meats (carnitas, anyone?), as well as things that go together quickly like stir fries and salads. Curries and dals are also very forgiving. Another help was making double recipes and freezing half as a pull out meal for days that were really hectic.

As my sons got older, I learned to cook throughout the day instead of doing everything all at once. I would prep vegetables, then tend to diapers. Set out herbs/spices, then give baths. Make a marinade, pour over meat, put in the fridge, then help a toddler down for a nap. Later, I would continue in the same manner until everything was finished. Having older children help or at least observe in the kitchen makes it all easier as well, so we get out the stepstool and tiny aprons so they can watch me as I saute and stir. My three year old can peel potatoes and scrub vegetables, and my five year old makes a mean salad and helps with measuring and stirring.

For now, with a tiny baby, cut yourself some slack. The first month or so is the hardest in terms of sleep deprivation and pure NEED on the part of your baby. It gets much, much easier from there, trust me.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

A friend of mine was telling me about this place where folks get together and cook a weeks worth of meals at one time for a set price.  I have never heard of this before.  Is this something worth investigating?  Does this type of arrangement result in quality meals for a family? It sounds interesting but I question the quality of meals produced from such an arrangement.

We have one in our community, and my husband and I took advantage of it when they first opened. It was mainly out of curiosity, but I also wanted to see what kinds of work-ahead tips I would get out of it. This particular business was centered around the idea of using 12 entrees over the period of a month, rather than a week's worth of cooking as you mentioned. Every dish was designed to be prepped, frozen, and moved to the fridge 12-24 hours before serving.

With the exception of the meats, the food was mediocre at best. My own recipes for manicotti, etc., were far superior and just as easy. One thing I did pick up, was seasoning and prepping meats, especially 1/2 chickens, and freezing them. It would seem that it takes no time at all to do this; why would anyone want to? But the reality is, it really is a lot faster, and the cleanup is also done and out of the way so that you can pop the meat (which has been thawing in the fridge for 24 hours) in the oven, and get right to the side dishes. Obviously, fresh would be better, but this quality is definitely acceptable. And that's one of the main advantages to prepping ahead: you not only have the prep done, you have the cleanup done. The chicken and the salmon we brought home were both excellent--here in the Midwest, it's difficult to find fresh seafood, so thawing frozen, seasoned salmon and baking it was not a stretch for us.

Even though the per-serving prices were quite reasonable, I don't think we'll use this business again. It wasn't the quality of the food itself that was a problem, it was the quality of the recipes. And the low quality of the recipes was likely a function of the constraints of not cooking first, but only assembling, before freezing. For most dishes, it works much better to cook fresh ingredients and freeze them.

Agree with James. Somebody who cares enough about food to be active in eGullet's probably not going to be thrilled with this set-up.

Seems kind of snippy.

We have some friends who are in a similar arrangement and they enjoy it very much. As all the parents are in the same boat, it doesn't become another social obligation excepet when people want it to be -- they are friends, after all.

And, while no one's probably going to take pictures of the food and put in on the "what did we have for dinner last night" eG thread, it is, by all reports, tasty enough for a Wednesday night. And, since the cooks are from different backgrounds and different countries, with different tastes, it breaks everyone out of their rut.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Great tips Kathy, thank you. I think one of my biggest challenges in the kitchen will be slowing down! I'm usually a whirlwind in the kitchen (my wife usually stays out of the way) and when my baby becomes old enough to help, I'll really need to slow down and be much more patient. I would really like to get my wife and child involved in the kitchen more. What better family activity? I just have to stop being such a perfectionist when cooking...

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Seems kind of snippy.

We have some friends who are in a similar arrangement and they enjoy it very much.  As all the parents are in the same boat, it doesn't become another social obligation excepet when people want it to be -- they are friends, after all.

And, while no one's probably going to take pictures of the food and put in on the "what did we have for dinner last night" eG thread, it is, by all reports, tasty enough for a Wednesday night.  And, since the cooks are from different backgrounds and different countries, with different tastes, it breaks everyone out of their rut.

Sorry---didn't mean to seem snippy, or even elitist. If indeed those involved are friends (or even if they aren't friends outside this setting have similar ideas about food) then it could work out quite nicely.

Seems kind of snippy.

Boy, I sure didn't intend to be snippy at all. I actually thought it sounded like a lot of fun. But, just as I said, might have the potential to turn into more of a social evening than a practical and timesaving method to produce economical family meals.

I remember my days with three young children and a husband to cook for, and while I never joined that type of group, several other things that I did join quickly became just another social engagement that kept me away from my husband and kids. I enjoyed most of them, but I didn't find them to be practical methods to accomplish much. (Except for one quilting group, where I did wind up with a quilt, I should add.)

Edited to add: It seems to me that the thing to do, if there is such a group in your area, and if you find the concept interesting and/or appealing, would be to give it a try. It might be a great answer, and perhaps you'd enjoy the social aspect as well. You could always drop out if it wasn't meeting your needs.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I just have to stop being such a perfectionist when cooking...

That's for damn sure. :laugh:

Actually, you'll become a better cook because you'll learn to cook faster; you'll discover how to bring out flavors inherent in the meal; and (unless you have more money than we do) learn how to rely on your shopping and cooking skills than on expensive ingredients. As TK says, anyone can make a good filet mignon. It takes real skill to make a great short rib.

I'm on the pavement

It still drives me crazy -- one's 16 and one's 12 and they still have very finicky palates.  And attempted guilt trips like "when I was your age we didn't even have sushi in America" and "this black bass was swimming in the Chesapeake 2 days ago. you know what I had when I was a kid? Fish Stix" are as ineffective as the old "I walked nine miles in the snow to school."

Classic. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seems kind of snippy.

Boy, I sure didn't intend to be snippy at all. I actually thought it sounded like a lot of fun. But, just as I said, might have the potential to turn into more of a social evening than a practical and timesaving method to produce economical family meals.

I remember my days with three young children and a husband to cook for, and while I never joined that type of group, several other things that I did join quickly became just another social engagement that kept me away from my husband and kids. I enjoyed most of them, but I didn't find them to be practical methods to accomplish much. (Except for one quilting group, where I did wind up with a quilt, I should add.)

Edited to add: It seems to me that the thing to do, if there is such a group in your area, and if you find the concept interesting and/or appealing, would be to give it a try. It might be a great answer, and perhaps you'd enjoy the social aspect as well. You could always drop out if it wasn't meeting your needs.

Actually, one thing these guys do is just cook their meals in their own homes, rather than en masse, so they can schedule their time as they wish. Also, they were acquainted before, so they probably had a decent gauge of culinary skills and preferences before they formed their arrangement.

I'm on the pavement

Actually, one thing these guys do is just cook their meals in their own homes, rather than en masse, so they can schedule their time as they wish.  Also, they were acquainted before, so they probably had a decent gauge of culinary skills and preferences before they formed their arrangement.

Ah, so really more of a supper club in which everybody gets to take home lots and lots of neatly packaged leftovers? That sounds like a very cool idea, particularly if the participants are all similarly involved in food but come from different backgrounds. And that would be economical in terms of both food (because you'd buy in bulk) and time.

Ah, now that is the key to parenthood right there. Learn to enjoy the process and let go of the expected outcome - applies both to food and to the raising of children in general.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Actually, one thing these guys do is just cook their meals in their own homes, rather than en masse, so they can schedule their time as they wish.  Also, they were acquainted before, so they probably had a decent gauge of culinary skills and preferences before they formed their arrangement.

Ah, so really more of a supper club in which everybody gets to take home lots and lots of neatly packaged leftovers? That sounds like a very cool idea, particularly if the participants are all similarly involved in food but come from different backgrounds. And that would be economical in terms of both food (because you'd buy in bulk) and time.

I think they actually have a day that they're responsible for, so each family cooks and delivers for a certain day. No group stuff. They cook whenever it's convenient for them and do their rounds at the appropriate moment. I know sometimes my friend Theresa cooks something that can be frozen on weekends and brings it around then, and sometimes she's in a panic because it's her night to deliver and she hasn't finished cooking yet. It probably arrives hot from the oven.

I think it works because the only obligation is to get the food there on time -- and that it be a decent meal.

I'm on the pavement

While I agree with the great majority of what's on this thread, I really disagree with this. As the father of a seven-year-old who cooks 80% of the family meals and has done so since Lulu was born -- and as an expectant father with Bebe arriving in late March! -- here's my two cents:

Cooking is for me, and seems, dougery, to be for you, more than a way to feed the fam. It is a refuge, a respite, a place where I can experience senses and practice skills. Creating things in the kitchen gives me great pleasure in both the making and the eating.

This weekend, I made a massive Thai meal with two curries, two salads, sticky rice, and dessert, all taken from David Thompson's intricate and beautiful Thai Food. The satisfaction of that entire meal -- the selection, the planning, the shopping, the prep, the cooking, the serving -- was immense, and my perfectionist self was very happy throughout that process.

I certainly agree with virtually all of the tips listed above. The simple fact is that having a kid, especially an infant, requires lots of time and energy, and that's that. However, I think that the idea that parents must sacrifice all things that are important to them as well as themselves is a very, very dangerous idea, not only for the parents but for the children themselves.

Don't you want to pass on the legacy of your investment in cooking and eating well to your children? Doesn't that include an explanation of the sound a fried shrimp makes when it's precisely done and must be plucked from the hot oil? Doesn't it demand a conversation about why those Chinese chefs work so hard to have their ingredients cut just so? Doesn't that require an understanding, over several hours, of how a piece of beef changes as it braises in the oven, until it is perfectly done?

So don't stop being a perfectionist when cooking. You can shelve it when you're slapping sauce on spaghetti, to be sure, but keep your vibrant perfectionist cooking self within reach, and regularly take it off that shelf to share with your family. You, and they, will lose something important if you do not.

edited to fix a verb problem -- ca

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

So....a sort of expanded version of the traditional Christmas cookie exchange.... interesting.

Also, when my kids were in the infant/toddler stage, my handiest and favorite tool was a small, portable food grinder (actually, I had two of them) made just for that purpose. I set it on the table for every home meal, and stuck one in my purse to take along to restaurants.

Whatever the rest of the family was having got ground up and fed to the baby, right from the grinder. It was a lifesaver. And, I think it also taught each of my children to appreciate and enjoy all kinds of food.

I didn't have a supper club, but I DID have two neighbors who had kids round about the same age as mine, AND the same philosophy about food as I ( fresh is best, easy is good, etc.)

SO, what we did for about a year is this: One person cooked once a week for all three families. Instead of popping one chicken in the oven, I put in three. Made triple mashed potatoes and triple green beans. Put it all on platters and got my husband to bring it over to the other two families.

So I got a break two days out of the week from cooking. We shared cooking responsibilities during the week, so that was helpful as well. It was really cool, and also a treat because you never knew what was going to show up and you didn't have to prepare it!

Also, when my kids were in the infant/toddler stage, my handiest and favorite tool was a small, portable food grinder (actually, I had two of them) made just for that purpose.  I set it on the table for every home meal, and stuck one in my purse to take along to restaurants.

Whatever the rest of the family was having got ground up and fed to the baby, right from the grinder.  It was a lifesaver.  And, I think it also taught each of my children to appreciate and enjoy all kinds of food.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Happy Baby Food Grinder?

I have one. Don't use it anymore, but it was invaluable, simply because I'm so lazy I refused to fix separate meals for the kids when they were babies, realized that rice cereal is evil and vile, and was simply too cheap to spend way too much on tiny jars of baby food.

Diana's first food was bratwurst. Peter's, pizza crust. Forget what Heidi's was. They were all under the "don't feed them table food until they are over 6-months" marker.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

This tip isn't cooking-related, but baby-related: get yourself a good carrier, preferably the kind you can carry your babe in any which way: on the hip, in front, in back, etc. Think of those National Geographic videos of African women preparing meals, tending gardens, etc etc with their babies happily slung on their bodies. I find I can go through my day with my now five week old in the sling and still fold laundry, vacuum, cook etc. I have a three year old, a two year old, and the baby. Also, my 3yo has autism. It's challenging enough as it is, but I'd DIE if I couldn't use my carrier for the infant. Now that I have three kids (ages three and under) I look back and sigh, remembering how easy it was when I *only* had one (of course, back then I thought I had it tough LOL).

I don't do much cooking ahead as much as cooking enough for 10-12 portions and eating leftovers for a couple days (lunches, etc). Tonight we had meatballs with cranberry beans in a sagey tomato sauce with polenta (Marcella Hazan's recipe). Easy enough and quite economical (I don't bother stirring the polenta the whole time btw). The leftover polenta will find itself grilled and served under fried eggs for breakfast tomorrow.

Buy some decent packaged sauce and pasta so that if everything falls apart at the last minute you can still eat dinner. And eggs. A hectic day not infrequently ends with an omelette or frittata dinner at our house.

I'm so lazy I refused to fix separate meals for the kids when they were babies, realized that rice cereal is evil and vile, and was simply too cheap to spend way too much on tiny jars of baby food.

Diana's first food was bratwurst.  Peter's, pizza crust.  Forget what Heidi's was.  They were all under the "don't feed them table food until they are over 6-months" marker.

I'm so lazy that I haven't fed my kids until they were old enough to eat table food in its whole form, usually about 9-10 months. Breastfed before that. I suppose I would have given solids earlier if they were formula fed and needed the iron or whatnot.

Of course, I breastfeed because I'm too lazy to fix up a bottle :raz:

I think bratwurst makes a fine first food, but pizza is definitely a close second! Gerber might frown on the practice, but you're one great mama!